• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flahavan Contract

Ah well, after all the reasoned debate about the Oxford incident I see normal service has been resumed...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 26 2005,19:12)]Usual load of tosh spoken on here about Flavs. To all the usual blind knockers, he has kept us where we are, selective memories most of you. How the hell was he able to do anything about Saturdays goals. Get the juggler back in, and see how he flaps at a corner put in with pace ala Matt Lockwood!
That six yard box is really hard to patrol when you have to take six strides
biggrin.gif

please stop this daryl debate. whilst he makes errors from corners he makes up with it when he pulls off amazing saves like against northampton away in the league where mcgliesh had the bullt diving header, he had no no right to save it. all in all these balance themselves out, and the management with lee turner are think that over pre season they can improve his corner and crossing taking even more then he will be an awesome keeper, he has improved in the crossing department this season and will improve even more next season so give him a break

The corners that Lockwood was putting in against us would trouble better keepers than Flavs. Plus the goals we conceeded from corners against Lincoln & Wrexham weren't anything to do with the keeper as they were both deep crosses which were met by a taller player than was marking them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ April 26 2005,20:23)]please stop this daryl debate. whilst he makes errors from corners he makes up with it when he pulls off amazing saves like against northampton away in the league where mcgliesh had the bullt diving header, he had no no right to save it. all in all these balance themselves out, and the management with lee turner are think that over pre season they can improve his corner and crossing taking even more then he will be an awesome keeper, he has improved in the crossing department this season and will improve even more next season so give him a break
Well said Alex, I've been particularly critical of Flahavan since Cardiff & I'd like to think that in the summer the coaching team can assist the part of Darryl's game that is currently sadly lacking.

As a shotstopper there can't be many better in (I'd say probably) the whole Football League, but as a commander of the box with crosses & corners, well
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ April 26 2005,22:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ April 26 2005,20:23)]please stop this daryl debate. whilst he makes errors from corners he makes up with it when he pulls off amazing saves like against northampton away in the league where mcgliesh had the bullt diving header, he had no no right to save it. all in all these balance themselves out, and the management with lee turner are think that over pre season they can improve his corner and crossing taking even more then he will be an awesome keeper, he has improved in the crossing department this season and will improve even more next season so give him a break
Well said Alex, I've been particularly critical of Flahavan since Cardiff & I'd like to think that in the summer the coaching team can assist the part of Darryl's game that is currently sadly lacking.

As a shotstopper there can't be many better in (I'd say probably) the whole Football League, but as a commander of the box with crosses & corners, well  
ghostface.gif
I can't believe people still think Flahavan is a great keeper.

Pretty much every keeper in the division will have similar reflexes, the only difference is that most other keepers have got a substantially bigger reach and a better reading of the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ April 26 2005,21:20)]The corners that Lockwood was putting in against us would trouble better keepers than Flavs. Plus the goals we conceeded from corners against Lincoln & Wrexham weren't anything to do with the keeper as they were both deep crosses which were met by a taller player than was marking them.
There is not a side in this division who are good at set- pieces/corners maybe apart from Lincoln who have a team of giants. Well, IMHO, we need a very tall, robust, mobile centre-back who can fill this void - plus the refs. who should wire up when it comes to the blatant obstruction on goalkeepers espescially small ones !

I can't disagree.

Thing is, if people are going to have a pop at Flavs then they should point out specific goals that they think he should have done better on. To just say "we've conceeded too many goals from corners" isn't enough because if you look at those goals then I don't think you can blame the keeper on them (I've only seen the second at Oxford once so I don't know about that one).

Is anyone seriously saying that Flavs could do anything about cutting the ball out before it got to the man for the goal against Lincoln? Or the first against Wrexham in the LDV.

Criticism is fine when its due, but that isn't the case here.

Back