• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Flashback: When 30,000 Southend United fans went to Wembley

Evening Echo

The News
ON this day back in 2013, Southend United were beaten 2-0 by Crewe Alexandra in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final at Wembley.

More...

Great to see so many Shrimpers at Wembley but of course did our usual, conceded an early goal which killed the atmosphere, then played pretty crap which didn't help. Seem to recall we should have had a pen, plus Britt had a goal controversially disallowed? Or am I wearing my rose tinted specs..

Still really disappointed, not with the day but Paul Sturrock should have led the side out and selected it. Poor timing by the hierarchy and a very poor team selection by Mr Brown.

Remember it well, all our team just froze on the day for some reason, can remember 7 of us stayed in London drinking and caught the last train home I think :Thumbs up:

Total anti-climax game! As experiences go it was the exact opposite of the Wycombe match! The Blues just did not turn up for this one

Yeah we tanked that one. Didnt really turn upiirc,
Sturrock was outside chatting to fans and ro his great credit not letting anything spoil his day.
Shame really but still, had a nice day out with my dad, brother and now wife, which is the main thing.

Great to see so many Shrimpers at Wembley but of course did our usual, conceded an early goal which killed the atmosphere, then played pretty crap which didn't help. Seem to recall we should have had a pen, plus Britt had a goal controversially disallowed? Or am I wearing my rose tinted specs..
No you’re not wearing rose tinted specs. We’ve been to 3 of these finals & each time been on the wrong end of incompetence by match officials given these games as a retirement present.

1 Blackpool opening goal was offside and Gower was stage struck
2 Wrexham scorer Ugarte should have been sent off for punching ball into net pretending he had used his head and was obvious he would score afterwards our Ronald Koeman moment.
3 Perfectly good goal by Britt, but Mosni's defense splitting pass to Crewe's forwards was what killed that game, but it was Wembley and a dream to see us there so the result was not as disappointing as the Wrexham loss
Was at all 3 and yes rose tinted glasses for me too I guess :)

1 Blackpool opening goal was offside and Gower was stage struck
2 Wrexham scorer Ugarte should have been sent off for punching ball into net pretending he had used his head and was obvious he would score afterwards our Ronald Koeman moment.
3 Perfectly good goal by Britt, but Mosni's defense splitting pass to Crewe's forwards was what killed that game, but it was Wembley and a dream to see us there so the result was not as disappointing as the Wrexham loss
Was at all 3 and yes rose tinted glasses for me too I guess :)
Would only add that we had a stonewall penalty vs Wrexham not given. Also vs Crewe.

I think we have to remember that on all three occasions we were the underdogs.

We were too overawed by the occasion against Blackpool and even though their first goal was offside they outclassed us over the 90 minutes and to be honest they were kind to us and played in third gear after the second goal; it could have been embarrassing. I don't think I've ever seen a full-back so run ragged in my life as Che Wilson was that day.

I thought we played very well against Wrexham but missed good chances or made the wrong decisions when it mattered. Could have gone either way.

The Crewe game was hugely disappointing. We looked out of sorts and our starting line-up didn't help. The only player who could take any credit from that game was Luke Prosser, who had to play both his own game and constantly cover for Ryan Cresswell, who had a shocker. Gavin Tomlin played OK in the second half.

The worst part was having to walk alongside Crewe fans afterwards, who were taunting our fans with the 'top of the league and you f***ed it up' chant. Horrible.

Back