• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
Great, just what you need on a cold wet morning.......a flat car battery.

It started with me clicking on the key fob and no tell tale "click" "click" from the car accompanied by flashing of the indicators....strange I thought, maybe the automatic locking system has packed up.

Then the realisation, as you unlock the car with the key (that felt so weird) put the key in the ignition, turn it to the stand by position....to be greeted by some really odd sounds. Then attempt to start the car only to hear the dreded sound of silence.

Yes, I am officially in the Fail category today, now do I contact RAC or leave the pitiful excuse for a battery charger that I poses charging away for the next 3 years to get it up to the level of being able to start it?

Me thinks I am going for the RAC option, I pay full wack to them and have for about 5 years with out ever calling them out, so I should get my moneys worth I guess

Call out the RAC, thats what you pay them for.
Think of it as an insurance policy, I am sure you would not hesitate to claim on your insurance if you had an insured loss....

Call out the RAC, thats what you pay them for.
Think of it as an insurance policy, I am sure you would not hesitate to claim on your insurance if you had an insured loss....

He has just been, and sorted it, what a top bloke as well, I had to fill out a questionnaire on his I-pac thingy. Really chuffed with the service....top marks to the RAC

He has just been, and sorted it, what a top bloke as well, I had to fill out a questionnaire on his I-pac thingy. Really chuffed with the service....top marks to the RAC

Write in and tell his bosses what a good job he's doing, Dave - I suspect these guys get a lot of appreciation at the coal face but little feedback to their lords and masters.

Write in and tell his bosses what a good job he's doing, Dave - I suspect these guys get a lot of appreciation at the coal face but little feedback to their lords and masters.

Indeed. Over the last couple of weeks I've had some pretty difficult problems with my bank accounts (changing my address which didn't match my iD and so having my cards frozen). The service I received was terrible, from about 4 different people in different branches... but I finally got everything sorted out by one guy in my local branch who was younger than me and took the time to get stuck into my problem and sort everything out. I've written a letter to his branch praising his hard work and how I really appreciated it, it only took 10mins to write and all in all makes the world a better place

I had to fill out a questionnaire on his little hand held computer all about what I thought of the service, usual options like poor, average, good, very good.

I gave him a glowing report........although the comment he made about the bird craping on my car because of my England badge was a bit harsh

Indeed. Over the last couple of weeks I've had some pretty difficult problems with my bank accounts (changing my address which didn't match my iD and so having my cards frozen). The service I received was terrible, from about 4 different people in different branches... but I finally got everything sorted out by one guy in my local branch who was younger than me and took the time to get stuck into my problem and sort everything out. I've written a letter to his branch praising his hard work and how I really appreciated it, it only took 10mins to write and all in all makes the world a better place

Exactly. I got stuck in Southend with a written-off car and a need to be back in Scotland urgently. My sister lent me enough to replace the car, but in the form of a cheque. I phoned my branch in Ullapool, and the lady there sorted it out with the Southend RBS branch to cash the cheque on the spot. I phoned Ullapool at 09:30, and by 11:00 I had the dosh in my sweaty palm. I wrote to Sir Tom McKillop, RBS Chairman (who may be taking some stick, but responded brilliantly) praising the way I'd been treated, especially in contrast with the crap I got from the insurance company, and within a couple of days Trish in Ullapool and the lass in Southend each received an ENORMOUS bunch of flowers.

flower-1-1.gif

Battery, due to me leaving the lights on all night

:doh:

Turned the volume down on my car steroe the other day while taking a call (naughty), forgot to turn the radio back up after, got home, went indoors. Got up the next day, started the car fine before even realizing what I had done. A bit lucky me thinks.

Fortunately I can't do what you did, my lights auto turn off when the engine shuts down.

Do you not have a buzzer that sounds if you open your door with the lights on still?

Turned the volume down on my car steroe the other day while taking a call (naughty), forgot to turn the radio back up after, got home, went indoors. Got up the next day, started the car fine before even realizing what I had done. A bit lucky me thinks.

Fortunately I can't do what you did, my lights auto turn off when the engine shuts down.

Do you not have a buzzer that sounds if you open your door with the lights on still?

Yes.....which is why I can not work out how on earth I left them on. Luckily if radio is on when the key is taken out of the ignition, the it switches of after 1 hour, not that it helps if you leave the rudy lights on!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be with the RAC and I have called them out and they have each been very helpful and do a great job BUT.....you dont half pay for it. I changed to Green Flag a few years back as I get a discount. Called them out. Took slightly longer than I had expected but not by much, just over the hour I think they quoted. Guy did the job and got the car fixed. No problems. Last year I changed to including it on my car insurance with MoreThan.

So long as I get someone who is ok and gets the car going, or recovers it to my home, etc I am happy. It costs considerably less including it on my insurance aswell and for the odd occassions I would expect to use it, I think that is best. If I did more miles then perhaps its worth considering the more premium service for the more premium price but not for me.

I used to be with the RAC and I have called them out and they have each been very helpful and do a great job BUT.....you dont half pay for it. I changed to Green Flag a few years back as I get a discount. Called them out. Took slightly longer than I had expected but not by much, just over the hour I think they quoted. Guy did the job and got the car fixed. No problems. Last year I changed to including it on my car insurance with MoreThan.

So long as I get someone who is ok and gets the car going, or recovers it to my home, etc I am happy. It costs considerably less including it on my insurance aswell and for the odd occassions I would expect to use it, I think that is best. If I did more miles then perhaps its worth considering the more premium service for the more premium price but not for me.

Due to my trips down to Roots Hall every now and again, it gives me piece of mind knowing I have the full package, I covered over 9,000 miles last season in the car going to see the Blues and plan even more next season due to the lack of Northern clubs in League one so need to be fully coverd

Due to my trips down to Roots Hall every now and again, it gives me piece of mind knowing I have the full package, I covered over 9,000 miles last season in the car going to see the Blues and plan even more next season due to the lack of Northern clubs in League one so need to be fully coverd

I have the same "full" coverage....mine is just included with my car insurance rather than being separate. Which suits me, it may not suit all.

It was more that RAC do a premium service for premium price. There are alternatives and you maybe surprised who offers cover outside of the obvious 2/3, ie AA, RAC and Green Flag. I believe there is a comparison on some sites now where you can look, eg:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/roadsiderescue/

Just a thought....thats all....:p

I have the same "full" coverage....mine is just included with my car insurance rather than being separate. Which suits me, it may not suit all.

It was more that RAC do a premium service for premium price. There are alternatives and you maybe surprised who offers cover outside of the obvious 2/3, ie AA, RAC and Green Flag. I believe there is a comparison on some sites now where you can look, eg:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/roadsiderescue/

Just a thought....thats all....:p

You are probably right mate, I have never really looked in to it that deeply, I guess I could sit down and look at my ISP, utilities and may more and save a packet, but I just never get round to it.

Cheers for the advise Gaz

Had similar last week, went to have one tyre checked and ended up getting all four being replaced and a quick £ 400 to Quickfit, was only going to Asda for 4 pints of milk and some bread and thought I would pop in on the way to them !!!!

Back