• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko2

SOUTHEND United goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan is targeting promotion to the Championship next season - and a place in the club's record books.

The Shrimpers shot-stopper, who signed from Woking back in 2000, believes his side can challenge towards the top of the League One table.

And he is also closing on the club record for goalkeeping appearances.

"I've been told that I could overtake the previous record this season, so of course I want to go on and break the record," said Flahavan, who has played 320 games for Southend.

"I need to play another 38 matches and the closer I get the more I shall be thinking about it.

"Having a successful season is what matters the most but the record is also something I would like to achieve."

Flahavan is currently number three in the all-time appearance list for Southend goalkeepers, with only Harry Threadgold (343) and Paul Sansome (357) above him.

The 29-year-old looks set to overtake them both this season and - providing he suffers no injuries or suspensions - the custodian should set a new landmark next February.

By then Flahavan also hopes the Shrimpers will be pushing for promotion as they strive to bounce back from last season's relegation from the Championship.

"I want us to go up," he said. "I know it will be hard but I want to win as many games as we can and get back into the Championship so we can go back to the clubs and grounds we did last year.

"There isn't the same sense of anticipation or excitement this time because of the relegation, but that's something we're going to have to deal with and get over."

Blues may also be forced to cope with the departure of striker Freddy Eastwood.

Both Norwich City and Wolverhampton Wanderers have now had offers for the forward turned down.

But with Eastwood having less than 12 months left on his contract, the 23-year-old faces an uncertain future at Roots Hall. And Flahavan is among those who thinks he may soon leave.

"I read Freddy's interview in the Echo and he wants to leave so maybe it's best to let him go," he said.

"I don't know what will happen and if he stays then it will be good news for us because he's a proven goalscorer.

"But if he does go then we wish him good luck and will need to reinvest the money back into the team."

Yeah, like all the money will be re-invested in players, Flavs. Some, I would think/hope may be used to pay Mr Tax.

The accounts we saw were of last year ...as tax is paid in arrears Company wise ...it may be much lower now.

Back