• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
In charge of tomorrow's first ever match with Fleetwood we have the dead hand of dead-eyed Darren Deadman, from Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. He is a civil servant, specifically a public transport officer for Peterborough City Council.

In his eigth season as a League referee he has notched up well over 800 yellow cards. His red card count is above average too. Last season he amassed a staggering 209 yellows and 14 reds from 50 games.

His last couple of Southend matches have been nothing like as bad as some of his matches although the last one (Aldershot away, 2nd attempt) we were so awful anyone would seem not too bad in comparison. The previous one, also last season, was one of his better ones (or should that be less bad?) and also one of our better ones as we beat Torquay at home 4-1.

Before that he showed 9 yellow cards in a staggering display of incompetence two season's before last at home to Franchise FC. As it happens, we probably benefitted from this abject performance.

Based on most previous experience of watching Mr Deadman, expect unnecessary cautions and a few puzzling decisions all delivered with an iritating style. He was once suspended for two weeks for allowing one too many substitutions in a pre-season friendly - hardly his biggest crime against football.

I have seem him have a few decent games but generally I find he has no empathy with the game, is needlessly picky and arrogant to boot. He referees to the letter of the Laws and too many games I've seen have been spoilt as a consequence.

Refereed us 8 times before. Before the above-mentioned matches it was the previous season away to Brighton, where those of you with binoculars would have seen him caution Dervite and Sankofa. The season before that at home to Northampton (1-1 just 2 yellows), Preston at home the year before that (0-0 6 yellows) and the year before that at home to Swansea (1-2 7 yellows). He also did our 4-3 away win at Chesterfield that year when he sent off their defender for being unwittingly struck by the ball some way from goal.

This season the cards are down a bit (54 yellows and 3 reds from 16 matches) and his Championship appointments have dried up possibly dispelling rumours last season that he was destined for the top level of refereeing.

His assistants will be Kevin Mattocks from Chorley and Barry Gordon from County Durham. Fourth official will be Paul Kettlewell from Morecambe.

In charge of tomorrow's first ever match with Fleetwood we have the dead hand of dead-eyed Darren Deadman, from Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. He is a civil servant, specifically a public transport officer for Peterborough City Council.

In his eigth season as a League referee he has notched up well over 800 yellow cards. His red card count is above average too. Last season he amassed a staggering 209 yellows and 14 reds from 50 games.

His last couple of Southend matches have been nothing like as bad as some of his matches although the last one (Aldershot away, 2nd attempt) we were so awful anyone would seem not too bad in comparison. The previous one, also last season, was one of his better ones (or should that be less bad?) and also one of our better ones as we beat Torquay at home 4-1.

Before that he showed 9 yellow cards in a staggering display of incompetence two season's before last at home to Franchise FC. As it happens, we probably benefitted from this abject performance.

Based on most previous experience of watching Mr Deadman, expect unnecessary cautions and a few puzzling decisions all delivered with an iritating style. He was once suspended for two weeks for allowing one too many substitutions in a pre-season friendly - hardly his biggest crime against football.

I have seem him have a few decent games but generally I find he has no empathy with the game, is needlessly picky and arrogant to boot. He referees to the letter of the Laws and too many games I've seen have been spoilt as a consequence.

Refereed us 8 times before. Before the above-mentioned matches it was the previous season away to Brighton, where those of you with binoculars would have seen him caution Dervite and Sankofa. The season before that at home to Northampton (1-1 just 2 yellows), Preston at home the year before that (0-0 6 yellows) and the year before that at home to Swansea (1-2 7 yellows). He also did our 4-3 away win at Chesterfield that year when he sent off their defender for being unwittingly struck by the ball some way from goal.

This season the cards are down a bit (54 yellows and 3 reds from 16 matches) and his Championship appointments have dried up possibly dispelling rumours last season that he was destined for the top level of refereeing.

His assistants will be Kevin Mattocks from Chorley and Barry Gordon from County Durham. Fourth official will be Paul Kettlewell from Morecambe.

I wonder of there is any correlation there...

...in other words he's braver than most referees in trying to prevent players spoiling the game?

Perfect reffing credentials!

I do not know what is worse. A new winding up order or Deadman as Referee. Anyone travelling up to Fleetwood look out for Deadman's fake tan. He loves to be the centre of attention.

...in other words he's braver than most referees in trying to prevent players spoiling the game?

..... by getting in first and spoiling it himself ??

Football is a contact sport and with tackles, you get the occasional mistimed tackle. A good referee will distinguish between malicious play and an unintentional foul and sanction proportionately.

From a lot of what I have seen of Deadman, he is not the best at doing that.

Football is a contact sport and with tackles, you get the occasional mistimed tackle. A good referee will distinguish between malicious play and an unintentional foul and sanction proportionately.

:thumbsup:

I actually think the refereeing's been pretty good of late. Tuesday night was a good example of a ref who just let the players get on with playing football and it produced a decent game as a result.

It's been a while since we've had a stop-start affair ruined by a referee's whistle. Has this been an FA drive to: promote all the rubbish refs above our level; tell the refs to let the players play and it's a contact sport and all the better for it; or have we just been fortunate of late in the refs we've been assigned?

A good player will deliberately mistime a tackle to break down play and make it out as nothing more than a routine foul. If you count how many times that happens, especially early on in a game, it's actually shocking.

Fouls are not just about whether they are malicious towards the other player, they are also malicious in terms of preventing the opposition develop play. That's why you get so many fouls straight after possession has been turned over.

A good player will deliberately mistime a tackle to break down play and make it out as nothing more than a routine foul. If you count how many times that happens, especially early on in a game, it's actually shocking.

Fouls are not just about whether they are malicious towards the other player, they are also malicious in terms of preventing the opposition develop play. That's why you get so many fouls straight after possession has been turned over.

Yes and Mick's very valid point is that a good ref will distinguish between deliberate foul play and someone mistiming a tackle.

On the OS it says as follows:Match Officials:

Referee: Mick Russell
Assistants: I. Cooper, N. Lugg
Fourth Official: R. Whitton
and no mention of this deadman bloke, it coukld just be me being stupid but who actualy is it in charge?

On the OS it says as follows:Match Officials:

Referee: Mick Russell
Assistants: I. Cooper, N. Lugg
Fourth Official: R. Whitton
and no mention of this deadman bloke, it coukld just be me being stupid but who actualy is it in charge?

I would happily have Mick Russell for every game but sadly .......

So, what's going to happen to the referee if it's true and the picture tells the truth?

He gave the two fingers to us in the away end. Tried to disguise it by pretending to rub his head - it was shocking plus he was smirking. Someone has it on camera and made a complaint and the Police took a statement. Think he will be in big trouble if it is taken seriously, which it should be. Total disgraceful.

Asked Chris Phillips if he could post the picture but I think the Police took it.

I presume we will see it eventually?

2 fingers and his thumb on the back of his head, a jury would say not guilty. I'm going to get shot down for this but the evidence is not strong enough. He would get away with any excuse. Most people would just use their middle finger.

Back