• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
There are two Friday night matches and the two referees allocated are Deadman and Woolmer. We've drawn the long straw and the short ref.

The referee for tomorrow's match against a team we have never lost to (we've never beaten them either but let's be positive!) is therefore Andy Woolmer from Northampton. This short referee with even shorter hair has the capacity to be slightly officious but he is usually reasonably steady - a safe pair of hands.

He is in his 10th year as a League referee and has refereed Southend on very many occasions.

The most recent was that very memorable evening earlier this year when we qualified for Wembley with a 2-2 draw against Orient. A good performance by him in a highly charged match. Cautions for Phillips and Prosser and three of theirs.

Before that, the most recent was the first match of 2013 at home to Gillingham. He cautioned just one of theirs in the 1-0 defeat and the biggest criticism seemed to be not enough stoppage time. The previous two were the season before last; firstly our comfortable win at Barnet (7 yellows and one of theirs sent off) and then the 1-0 home win against Crewe when Mohsni scored the only goal (Kalala and a couple of theirs were cautioned). Before that Wycombe at home the year before that when he wasn't too bad. Prior to that it was the same season when we lost 0-2 to Crewe. He wasn't great; nor were we.

His first visit to Roots Hall however is somewhat more memorable as it was the Boston match when he sent off Darryl and heralded the appearance of Tes the Cat (...... his name is Tes the Cat, he plays for Montserrat).

His cards this year, as they were last, are decidedly average with 20 yellows from 7 matches. On a cautionary note, his red card has not seen the light of day thus far this season.

The rest of the team are all very regular visitors to the Hall. Ole Saliy, ex-Ukrainian top flight official now from London and Adrian Sannerude from Lowestoft will be running the lines and Wade Norcott from Harlow will be wielding the numbers board.

Refs performance..

People around me thought he had a good game. I'm not sure. He seemed on top of the game in the first half and no complaints but second half he seemed to be fairly one-sided, and then he gave the penalty. I think he got this wrong. Didnt look a penalty from the East stand. Not complaining though - we have had rough end of some decisions this season. Then there was the 5 mins of injury time (which ended with +7).. How on earth did this incompetent buffoon end up with 5 minutes? We had 4 subs (2 mins) and not a trainer on the field in the second half. There was no intimation of time wasting. Everyone can make mistakes on one-off incidents but this was a poor call in my opinion and had it been 1-0 might have been completely critical. Like to hear what other people think on this one, including refs.

Agreed, couldn't believe it when they signalled FIVE minutes minimum stoppage time!!!

Also, he let Cresswell get away with moaning all night long

I thought he was terrific in letting the game flow but made 2 dubious calls.

The first was late in the first half when Fleetwood had the ball and their midfielder played a terrific pass to put their guy clean though but he pulled the play back to the halfway line. Secondly I have no idea where 5 mins added time came from.

Other than that I thought he was as good as it gets at this level - would be interested to hear other refs views. Mick? Lord Football?

For someone usually so officious I was amazed how much verbal he tolerated from several of the Fleetwood players. Got a couple of decisions wrong, but mainly due to poor judgement from the lino on the West. Did ok I thought.

Refs performance..

People around me thought he had a good game. I'm not sure. He seemed on top of the game in the first half and no complaints but second half he seemed to be fairly one-sided, and then he gave the penalty. I think he got this wrong. Didnt look a penalty from the East stand. Not complaining though - we have had rough end of some decisions this season. Then there was the 5 mins of injury time (which ended with +7).. How on earth did this incompetent buffoon end up with 5 minutes? We had 4 subs (2 mins) and not a trainer on the field in the second half. There was no intimation of time wasting. Everyone can make mistakes on one-off incidents but this was a poor call in my opinion and had it been 1-0 might have been completely critical. Like to hear what other people think on this one, including refs.

Firstly he was not an "incompetent buffoon". This is a ludicrous way to describe what was a very decent but not flawless performance. I agree it was a "generous" penalty, in fact I'd say it was wrong.

I think the added time was about right. The substitutions seemed to take longer than normal to me and he did speak to a couple of players about time wasting. Just because referees normally add too little time, it doesn't make him wrong when he does it properly.

For someone usually so officious I was amazed how much verbal he tolerated from several of the Fleetwood players. Got a couple of decisions wrong, but mainly due to poor judgement from the lino on the West. Did ok I thought.

Which one ?

Which one ?

The 1st half one, although the 2nd half called a throw in wrong when it clearly came off a Fleetwood player's foot. I'll allow one mistake but the 1st half one was quite poor and clearly struggling to keep up. I didn't hear exactly why he was replaced - any ideas? And who had put energy saving bulbs in the 4th official's board???! Couldn't see the red numbers at all!

Firstly he was not an "incompetent buffoon". This is a ludicrous way to describe what was a very decent but not flawless performance. I agree it was a "generous" penalty, in fact I'd say it was wrong.

Incompetent buffoon is a compliment from me :)

I think the added time was about right. The substitutions seemed to take longer than normal to me and he did speak to a couple of players about time wasting. Just because referees normally add too little time, it doesn't make him wrong when he does it properly.

Football fans indulging in hyperbole... Who'd have thunk it!

Correct me if I'm wrong (as if you need permission, Mick :whistling:) but I was under the impression that time taken for a penalty is added on as well.

Football fans indulging in hyperbole... Who'd have thunk it!

Correct me if I'm wrong (as if you need permission, Mick :whistling:) but I was under the impression that time taken for a penalty is added on as well.

You're wrong !!

Time taken for a penalty (or any other free-kick) is part of normal play.

Time taken for disputing a penalty, dealing with any red/yellow cards arising from the penalty and (as happened last night) over-celebrating the penalty can be added.

You may be confusing things with the time that can be added on after 90 minutes (or 95 or 97) to enable a penalty to be taken.

You're wrong !!

Time taken for a penalty (or any other free-kick) is part of normal play.

Time taken for disputing a penalty, dealing with any red/yellow cards arising from the penalty and (as happened last night) over-celebrating the penalty can be added.

You may be confusing things with the time that can be added on after 90 minutes (or 95 or 97) to enable a penalty to be taken.

That'll be it. Ta.

I thought 5 mins was about right. There was a delay when Hurst was injured, (although the trainer didn't come on), it was a good minute or so with Hurst substitution as he was on the other side of the pitch. There was another 3 substitutions, one of which took ages as the board wasn't working. Also the celebrations for the goal took a good 90 seconds.

I thought 5 mins was about right. There was a delay when Hurst was injured, (although the trainer didn't come on), it was a good minute or so with Hurst substitution as he was on the other side of the pitch. There was another 3 substitutions, one of which took ages as the board wasn't working. Also the celebrations for the goal took a good 90 seconds.

No he wasn't. He ran over there just before the substitution. Well done the ref for noticing!

i thought overall he did a pretty decent job, i dont think it was a difficult game to ref but we have seen so many in the past make it look hard.. So will welcome this one back again.

Their manager was complaining about us wasting time direct to the ref on the pitch, who then pointed to his watch and indicated that he was adding it all to his clock. 5 minutes seemed a bit long, particularly as I didn't think we wasted any time at all (rose tinted probably). Still, a good ref I thought, we've had a few recently, long may it continue.

Back