• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Bit early for the travelling faithful, but just in case some want to use the wonders of mobile media to share their thoughts.

A well deserved point in a game I thought the goal would never come. Couldn't understand the starting line up. Worrall and Timlin especially finding themselves on the bench. Apart from Fleetwoods wonder goal and a shot off the bar we dominated the majority of the game. Wordsworth looked classy, Weston had a decent game, and the rest did ok. Hurst and Atkinson showed effort, but just didn't get into the game, bar a 25yard effort from Hurst shortly before he was withdrawn. The substitutes improved us, Worrall and Pigott looking dangerous. Hunt making a few dangerous runs. When the Worrall goal came, a fantastic finish from the left side of the area, we were well on top and deserved it. We backed off after and settled for the point which was understandable. Only criticism s today was the performance of White, who was caught out several times in the first half. Bolger also looked shaky at times and gave the ball away far too easily. Plus Mooney was anonymous. Got to be happy with an opening day draw though. Bentley 7, White 5, Bolger 6, Barrett 7, Coker 7, Atkinson 6, Wordsworth 7, Leonard 7, Weston 7, Hurst 6, Mooney 5. Substitutes Worrall 8 Motm, Piggot 7, Hunt 7

Last edited:
A well deserved point in a game I thought the goal would never come. Couldn't understand the starting line up. Worrall and Timlin especially finding themselves on the bench. Apart from Fleetwoods wonder goal and a shot off the bar we dominated the majority of the game. Wordsworth looked classy, Weston had a decent game, and the rest did ok. Hurst and Atkinson showed effort, but just didn't get into the game, bar a 25yard effort from Hurst shortly before he was withdrawn. The substitutes improved us, Worrall and Pigott looking dangerous. Hunt making a few dangerous runs. When the. Worrall goal came, a fantastic finish from the left side of the area, we were well on top and deserved it. We backed off after and settled for the point which was understandable. Only criticism s today was the performance of White, who was caught out several times in the first half. Bolger also looked shaky at times and gave the ball away far too easily. Plus Mooney was anonymous. Got to be happy with an opening day draw though. Bentley 7, White 5, Bolger 6, Barrett 7, Coker 7, Atkinson 6, Wordsworth 7, Leonard 7, Weston 7, Hurst 6, Mooney 5. Substitutes Worrall 8 Motm, Piggot 7, Hunt 7
Any point away is a bonus especially from one down..... Another 51 points and we've cracked it....

Many thanks for the early report CyrilSneer - I would definitely have taken a draw before the game. Surprised too to see Timlin, Worrall and Payne all on the bench because as you say (without wishing to sound like a broken record) ' Atkinson showed effort, but just didn't get into the game'.....

Thoroughly deserved draw.

Very impressed with Wordsworth , a real class act. So much time and so comfortable on the ball. Worrell looked razor sharp when he came on. What was great was the strength of the bench, enabling us to bring some real game changers on.

Pig looked sharp when he came on and Hunt looks a very clever player. Coker was the pick of the back four without a doubt.

A great start, let's just hope the M6 is kinder on the way home to us ...

UTB's

Not being negative after the first day but if we do sell Bentley then I would strengthen with a RB and possibly another CB , I'm happy with the midfield and our forwards are all very different to each other which may prove ok when switching it up

Happy with a point but with a few additions I really think we could cement a mid table finish with a very youthful and lively squad

Utb

Not being negative after the first day but if we do sell Bentley then I would strengthen with a RB and possibly another CB , I'm happy with the midfield and our forwards are all very different to each other which may prove ok when switching it up

Happy with a point but with a few additions I really think we could cement a mid table finish with a very youthful and lively squad

Utb
rush goalies then..! If Bentley goes I can't see Ted cutting it...

A work in progress really - and that's what you might expect in the 1st game.

The team selection seemed odd to most people watching in the sun. Team played some good stuff in first half without being that threatening - some nice build up play and good crosses .......... but not that much for the Cod goalie to do.

The Cod goal was superb. Second half we were lucky not to go 2 down straight away and then we gave as good as we got. Shape and style changed with the subs and we lost the midfield towards the end. Hunt was lucky not to be sent off for his rugby style approach.

Pigg did well for the goal and Worrall's pass into the net was lovely.

All in all, a draw was the right result. Everyone looked sharp and confident but the overall team formation and play still needs to be honed over the coming games.

In the end a draw was probably a fair result. Fleetwood's goal was a great strike but only happened after Bolger failed to clear. Worrall's goal was just as good, seems unfair that the BBC have called it a freak goal and a cross, which it certainly wasn't. Standout was Wordsworth, easily the best player on the pitch.

I do hope PB doesnt start picking strange lineups, just because he can, and o you lot out there dont understand. Well hurst over worrall in my humble opinion was a mistake, a glaring one. As well as Weston played up top, he is a winger, why sign the Pig on loan then put him on the bench. We got a draw, and deserved it, but why play silly buggers with the side and make it more difficult.

From the TV
When the next thread starts bashing Prosser for whatever reason they should be reminded of Bolgers contribution for Fleetwoods goal today. Brown wasn't happy with Barrett backing off as well.

Worralls goal looked brilliant.

I do hope PB doesnt start picking strange lineups, just because he can, and o you lot out there dont understand. Well hurst over worrall in my humble opinion was a mistake, a glaring one. As well as Weston played up top, he is a winger, why sign the Pig on loan then put him on the bench. We got a draw, and deserved it, but why play silly buggers with the side and make it more difficult.

As much as point today was a good effort I too was puzzled by the selections. You can argue they worked in the respect that we got a point but only after the subs were made. The main criticism of last season was PB and his at times odd selections and formations. I hope once all match fit he picks the right players in the right positions. Staggered Timlin didn't start doubt anyone didn't have him in their starting eleven. Piggott and Hunt both looked sharp, maybe a staring duo and would expect Worrall to feature ahead of hurst going forward. Tuesday could be interesting and of course possible new signings.

M6 was awful. Took us 2 hours to travel between Walsall and Stoke. Really thought we were going to miss the game completely. Got to the ground at 3.20 in the end. Long, long day. Next time we visit the North West will go up the M1 and take the A50 to Stoke and join the M6 from there. 479 Shrimpers fantatic effort. Anyone get there later than us? The traffic was so slow we were actually talking to Luton and Wolves fans who were heading to Accrington and Blackburn. Hope they got to the game in time.

I think I saw the attendance was 3.5k, with over 400 Blues...3,500!!?? Tin pot get a life.

Never understood why we have to mock clubs because they get smaller crowds than we currently do. I've stood on the terraces at Roots Hall with under 2,000 fellow shrimpers. As a proportion of their available catchement area, I bet 3.5k measures up favourably with our crowds.

Never understood why we have to mock clubs because they get smaller crowds than we currently do. I've stood on the terraces at Roots Hall with under 2,000 fellow shrimpers. As a proportion of their available catchement area, I bet 3.5k measures up favourably with our crowds.

Fleetwood's population is 27,000 approx. so if you do the maths....................

Fair enough mate, was a bit ****ed when I wrote that. I've seen their capacity is 5.3k which I was surprised at, thought it was more.

Back