• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Fleetwood Town 2-2 Southend United

CP is 7/2 favourite on Skybet for the Walsall job, closely followed by Paul Hurst.

Hurst will get it and we'll be stuck with Bond.[/QUOTE]

Yes, let's face it. It was amazing that RM overlooked Paul Hurst for the Southend job.

I'm still loving that Luke Hyam goal and celebration. Every player is happy to score a goal, but there's a lot extra in his joy and expressions. A goal is pretty rare for him, and so it meant a lot more. It was a sweet strike with full power, and at the time, it could well have been the winner.
D3j6_dHXoAAvn3q.jpg:large

That emotion isn't because he scored. He looked up and saw Batman (his favourite superhero) celebrating with everyone.

First time in a while I have read some positive reviews on the Zone on a Monday morning.

We've laid the foundations with a good performance and we now have to build on that going into the first of our 3 "must win" games. It's great to see Humphrys come through 30mins and I would like to think he is pushing to start Saturday.

How did Kiernan look in CM, for those that went?

Obviously noticed him more than others because it was unusual seeing him in that position but my takeaways were:

- First 10-15 mins it took him time to really work things out, sometimes he wasn't tight enough but on the ball he was fine.
- He then settled down and was decent in the air and made a few plays that reminded me a bit of Sokolik where he came from deep and used his pace to make a tackle or interception that was pretty decent and showed his CB tendencies with a bit more freedom to attack the ball
- On the ball he was fairly safe but the team used decent short and mid-range passing to progress up the field and when he found himself a bit further forward he showed some decent passing, with one particular slide-rule pass between FB and CB for Hart to run onto which was maybe the best pass of the game from us.

The question for me is are Hyam and Kiernan a bit samey in the middle, and especially at home when we're looking to break teams down then we may want to choose one and then have Mantom/Yearwood/Dieng who can (sometimes) offer a bit more going forward. Hyam had a decent game, I like his tenacity and for the first half he and Kiernan were effective. However, we did struggle to get the ball out wide effectively to Kightly and Mantom, although I wouldn't suggest that was purely down to the CMs and their vision/passing. Kightly literally had one good play for our first, and did very little otherwise before tiring as usual around 60 mins.

Ooh meant to say - there was a decent amount of communication (being a smaller ground and a quiet game it was a bit like non-league where you can really take in what the team are talking and thinking about)... Demetriou, White, Hyam and Cox were all doing a good job of working things out in terms of shape, and that benefited Kiernan. Defending corners/free-kicks was the only time I felt like there was significant disorganisation and confusion, and often after each one a player would come over to get some instructions from Bond/Keen

Ooh meant to say - there was a decent amount of communication (being a smaller ground and a quiet game it was a bit like non-league where you can really take in what the team are talking and thinking about)... Demetriou, White, Hyam and Cox were all doing a good job of working things out in terms of shape, and that benefited Kiernan. Defending corners/free-kicks was the only time I felt like there was significant disorganisation and confusion, and often after each one a player would come over to get some instructions from Bond/Keen

Interesting that you mention Bond and Keen, presume Keen was in the dugout as the number two rather than Maher? I was wondering what role Keen would be playing, this seems to confirm what most of us thought.

Ok so I raised an eyebrow over Bond's appointment like most of us but I have to say based on what I saw on Saturday he's a massive upgrade on CP. He showed all the qualities that we've been saying Powell lacks.

As for the game, a fair result, only error I think Bond made was leaving Mantom on too long after a great first half, he was outstanding in the first half but clearly knackered after half time. Dieng was poor, maybe Yearwood would have been a better choice but i'm not a qualified vastly experienced professional coach so Bond must have had his reasons, height maybe as Barton brought on another big CB when we brought Humphrys on, maybe he was worried about conceding from set pieces.

Overall much improved and I suspect and hope Humphrys will start on Saturday, he's a real handful and I think his first touch was a header.

20190407_134518b.jpg
Kevin Bond was on the touchline throughout, shouting encouragement and instructions. Unlike Joey Barton he didn't swear at his players. I was impressed with his commitment and the way he presented himself.

Incidentally I really enjoyed the afternoon at Fleetwood, their crowd was pleasant, amusing and a good family atmosphere. Makes a pleasant change. The only swearing I heard was from Joey Barton.

IN recent times, watching Southend United has nearly been as torturous as the bushtucker trials endured by Harry Redknapp in ‘I’m A Celebrity’.

More...

It actually doesn't feel too far off that. Throat still rather dry and the wound is still sore. I could do with being unconscious at the moment :Smile:
View attachment 7812
Kevin Bond was on the touchline throughout, shouting encouragement and instructions. Unlike Joey Barton he didn't swear at his players. I was impressed with his commitment and the way he presented himself.

Incidentally I really enjoyed the afternoon at Fleetwood, their crowd was pleasant, amusing and a good family atmosphere. Makes a pleasant change. The only swearing I heard was from Joey Barton.

Did you try Jims bar ?

Yes, let's face it. It was amazing that RM overlooked Paul Hurst for the Southend job.

Could have been down to various reasons, the salary he wanted, not happy with next seasons budget?.
theres no proof that martin done that ,I reckon he went for a few people they all said no and that's why we have bond

Back