• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Fleetwood Town 2-2 Southend United

I've tried to quote the original message re number of captains. However my rubbish phone ain't having it.

Loads. Oxley, Mantom (for far too long), Yearwood, Cox, Kiernan, Demetriou. Strangely not Coker or White though, who many assume were captain!?

Last edited:
I have to say what a shockingly poor penalty to concede. Come on you've all played to some level....Who has ever given one away as bad as that, in a vital game, 2-1 up and such an important time.

Come on now, let's keep the positive vibes going! It's a mistake, that's all, and one that's probably a lot to do with being out for months and not being as sharp as normal.

I was really concerned when Humphrys came on as sub, and I still don't think he should have been allowed to. It's too early, recovering from a serious injury like that. However, he did playw ell when he came on and his presence certainly worried the Cod defence.

First time I've been to Fleetwood. For some reason I was expecting a grim little Northern town, in decline following the death of deep sea fishing. I was surprised. It's a pleasant journey up the Fylde peninsula with attractive, understated countryside. Fleetwood itself is a nice little town with the air of a seaside resort rather than an industrial town. The ground is tiny with one impressive stand and not much else. It had a happy family atmosphere, lots of kids and their parents.

The match was quite exciting after a slow start. We were strong in the first half and didn't allow Fleetwood to play much. Joey Barton must have given his side a boll**king at half time and they played much more direct football in the second half. We withstood their pressure well but gave away a poor goal. Hyam then unleashed a thunderbolt which nearly pierced the netting and I though we'd sneaked it. Very disappointing to give away a penalty when we did. Ched Evans is a class above everyone else - but we knew that. I thought Bunn performed quite well and White had one of his better games. For me Hart and Cox were the pick of a good bunch (but I'm afraid Mantom doesn't impress me). I'd have liked to see Kelman or Wabo come on (I know Norman wasn't even on the bench) for the last 20 minutes. I did appreciate KB standing on the line hollering at regular intervals - it may not achieve much directly but it gives a good impression.

Onward and upward.

To be fair to 007 as it was going to be Humprys, he would be thinking later rather than sooner bearing in mind the injury. Great to have him back and much quicker than most of us expected.

Good strike from Hyam and of course they were going to have ago. Rather than blame the usual suspect, sitting back. I have to say what a shockingly poor penalty to concede. Come on you've all played to some level....Who has ever given one away as bad as that, in a vital game, 2-1 up and such an important time.

If you watch it a few times in slow mo, Lennon is going to whack the ball out of the area into the stands. He doesn't see the player coming up fast behind him, and ends up booting the player instead of the ball. But yes, a truly terrible one to concede.

Chris Phillips interview with Kevin Bond after the game.

Bond: "We did well in the first half and we deserved to be in front. The second half Fleetwood put us under pressure and we weren’t as composed as I would like us to be."

Bond: "Harry (Bunn) had a tight hamstring so we had to bring him off. Stephen (Humphrys) was fantastic putting himself forward to play but he’s short of fitness."

Bond: "We conceded a penalty which in fairness probably did look like it was a penalty."

Bond: "Overall it was probably a fair result. 100 per cent we would have taken a point before the game but it’s disappointing to draw when you’ve been in front twice."

Bond on moving Rob Kiernan into midfield. "He’s got composure on the ball and he has a physical presence. We aren’t the biggest team but he’s good in the air and with both feet. I thought he did alright in there."

Bond on naming Jason Demetriou captain. "He’s one of the most senior players at the club. He’s well respected and everyone likes him. I thought he played like a captain today, he was magnificent."

sounds refreshing - can't imagine that coming out the gob of Steve Evans.

One thing that I also noticed was that in the first 5 mins we made 3 or 4 tough fouls in the middle of the park. Not premeditated, but the players were definitely looking to impose themselves and Fleetwood struggled with that.

Noticed Bishop got the nod over Oxley yesterday- was the latter carrying a slight injury or maybe not quite match fit yet ?

One thing that I also noticed was that in the first 5 mins we made 3 or 4 tough fouls in the middle of the park. Not premeditated, but the players were definitely looking to impose themselves and Fleetwood struggled with that.

A bit a mettle injected in the team, well overdue.

Noticed Bishop got the nod over Oxley yesterday- was the latter carrying a slight injury or maybe not quite match fit yet ?
Oxley possibly still carrying that back injury as his return was very swift with no U23 game but based on this season Bish is the better keeper

If you watch it a few times in slow mo, Lennon is going to whack the ball out of the area into the stands. He doesn't see the player coming up fast behind him, and ends up booting the player instead of the ball. But yes, a truly terrible one to concede.

Yes he did look like he was filming a John Smiths advert. I know it was Grand National day but was he wearing blinkers..

A good example of what a defender should do is on the highlights of Charlton away. In a very similar situation Hart gets his arm out so he knows where the player is and protects the ball whilst it drops. With a lose ball in the area from a corner late on I was looking out for Madden, of all people, to be lurking...….And I was in Southend, nervously listening on the radio

I may well be to harsh but I have seen naïve and needless penalties given away a places like Luton and Plymouth. This is about the 5th time away from home since January where we have started well and taken the all important lead with some very good (or brave) goals. Only to give cheap or bizarre equalisers away.

Would have gladly taken the point befor the game yesterday.
I didn’t travel to this one but listened on the radio.
Shame we didn’t take all 3 points on the day but there has clearly been some positivity brought in and glad to see Humphrey’s back albeit if he is slightly not match fit yet.
There are still some games left for us to hold our own and we do have a better goal differance than the teams below us but, the relegation battle is still open to numerous teams for the drop.

I shall remain optimistic and be a “half glass full” gal until the last game.

Back