• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Match reports and ratings here please. Great result Phil and the boys.

Match report: Fleetwood Town 2, Southend United 4

SOUTHEND United ended their nine match winless streak with a convincing 4-1 triumph at 10 man Fleetwood Town this afternoon.

More...

I watched this on iFollow so my report is based on that. First half we were the better side in every department apart from conceding so soon after scoring. When Cox headed his goal you could see the confidence surge through him and he was much more like the Cox of last season. It was also good to see McLaughlin find the net and the whole side were playing the ball about on the ground far more than I have seen this season. Then we had the penalty. Nile was dancing through and was bought down. At this point Cox is shouting for the ball, he's the penalty taker. Not a chance reckons Nile, I'm the one fouled, I'm the one to take the penalty. The pair of them had a bit of a push and shove for the ball until Coxy realised that Nile was truly intent on taking the kick, which he did and we were 3-1 up. I'll pass on the goal celebrations. The sending off by the way was definitely deserved. Lenny was about to go clean through so he had to go. Great reaction from Fleetwood's O'Neill when he got to the tunnel, anything that was inanimate and kickable got kicked. Good job Fleetwood didn't have a cat in the vicinity. So, half time and a smug feeling, not had for some time before today. Second half was a bit of an anti-climax really. The Blues retained possession with some good one and two touch passing, but they never looked as threatening as in the first half. Maybe, if you're winning 3-1 and Tuesday is beckoning, there's no need to bust a gut. We did manage another goal from McGlashan late on and then we just had to go and concede another to them. No doubt there will be a bit of debate as to Kyrianou's part in their second goal. It has to be said that Fleetwood were dire, even before they went down to 10 men, but you can only beat what's put in front of you. Wright had a good debut, Ferdinand looked a lot more confortable than of late and Cox has hopefully nailed the can't score hoodoo. Roll on Tuesday and Wimbledon.

Good to hear we played on the deck! The season starts now. Forget about what's behind us! Well done to everyone that travelled. Your good faith was rewarded, no doubt.

On a side note, if West Ham were really interested in Nathan Bishop [there was a thread] it wouldn't surprise me if he was included to boost is value what with EPPP.

Last edited:
Nice to see players stroking the ball across a near perfect pitch .But can that be done on the roothall joke of a pitch . Now need to get a good run going UTB :happy::happy:

Great to see us play so much football on the deck this afternoon. Josh Wright looks a brilliant addition. Knew when to keep it simple and when to try the killer ball. A much more confident and assured performance by all.

Without getting too carried away after two wins from nine it seems to me with Coker, Kightly, Kiernan and Turner STILL to come back anything other than a top 3 finish will be deemed failure - and could end PB's tenure - surely the strongest squad in League 1 if all fit. Some might suggest we have had stronger XI's in the past but surely not squads.

Oxley

Demetriou Kiernan Ferdinand Coker

Wright. Leonard. Kightly

Wordsworth

Ranger. Cox

subs: Smith, White, Turner, Timlin, Mclaughlin, Robinson, Fortune

Stopping off on my way back.

Would have loved 3 points to take home before the game and those that believe it is only about the result will be pleased.

Those who feel it is the manner of the win and how the team is playing that is also important will have plenty to talk about. The first Fleetwood goal was a calamity and it seems (it was at the other end) as if the 2nd goal was also down to poor defending - and against a tired 10 men.

In between that Southend played some good football at times without really being asked too much by the other team. 3-1 up at half time and it is an ideal opportunity to improve the goal difference tally. Instead it came down to time wasting after winning a corner in the last couple of minutes such was the attacking intention of some of the players. :sad:

Much needed win. Fully deserved the 3 points by all accounts as well even before Fleetwood went down to 10 men. With players starting to get back fit it really feels like now our season can finally get up and running.

This imo sends a message to all the other top sides, that we are back.

Bit soon for that. Great result but we had an extra man for 60 mins and quite rightly played the ball on the floor and passed it around nicely. Woeful defending for both goals. Let's judge if we are back in 3 weeks time

Fleetwood were very poor, just let us come on to them, it was a very strange game as they were at home but seemed to let us dictate the play

Fleetwood last year, were a force. What has changed for them? I'm delighted at this result, thought at best we would get a draw!

I watched this on iFollow so my report is based on that. First half we were the better side in every department apart from conceding so soon after scoring. When Cox headed his goal you could see the confidence surge through him and he was much more like the Cox of last season. It was also good to see McLaughlin find the net and the whole side were playing the ball about on the ground far more than I have seen this season. Then we had the penalty. Nile was dancing through and was bought down. At this point Cox is shouting for the ball, he's the penalty taker. Not a chance reckons Nile, I'm the one fouled, I'm the one to take the penalty. The pair of them had a bit of a push and shove for the ball until Coxy realised that Nile was truly intent on taking the kick, which he did and we were 3-1 up. I'll pass on the goal celebrations. The sending off by the way was definitely deserved. Lenny was about to go clean through so he had to go. Great reaction from Fleetwood's O'Neill when he got to the tunnel, anything that was inanimate and kickable got kicked. Good job Fleetwood didn't have a cat in the vicinity. So, half time and a smug feeling, not had for some time before today. Second half was a bit of an anti-climax really. The Blues retained possession with some good one and two touch passing, but they never looked as threatening as in the first half. Maybe, if you're winning 3-1 and Tuesday is beckoning, there's no need to bust a gut. We did manage another goal from McGlashan late on and then we just had to go and concede another to them. No doubt there will be a bit of debate as to Kyrianou's part in their second goal. It has to be said that Fleetwood were dire, even before they went down to 10 men, but you can only beat what's put in front of you. Wright had a good debut, Ferdinand looked a lot more confortable than of late and Cox has hopefully nailed the can't score hoodoo. Roll on Tuesday and Wimbledon.

Can I ask how you can do this if you are in UK? I thought it was for only overseas viewers....?

Back