• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Fleetwood Town vs Southend Utd 6th April 2019 15:00 ko

What's your starting 11 and result prediction for this Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not Bunn anyone but Bunn he offers nothing in any capacity....he needs to be sent back to Bury end of season

Totally agree. He doesn't work hard enough or is fit enough. He offers the full back no protection and his movement off the ball is minimal.

Oxley

Moore White Lennon Turner Hart
Kightly Yearwood Dieng Kiernan

Kelman

I'm Going 5;4;1 with kelman up top on his own!!!!
This is because I want free kicks with him with his trickery getting them, Kightly's delivery
and 5 up from the back in the box, hoping to get a set piece goal..
lets face it , its the only way we are going to score...............
Please excuse the pun...but what's wrong with your COX

My choice would be

Ox
Moore Kiernan Lennon Hart
Demi Hyam Dru Mantom
Cox Humphrys (if available) if not Bunn

and play the ball on the deck!!

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one. Think I'll be able to make the last 3 away games this season. UTBs

Hang on, so you would retain Dieng and drop Cox? Have you seen us play recently?

Yes I have unfortunately ! I'm going for height, with a bit of trickery to win free kicks.
Cox can come on as sub if he is fit enough.

Lets face it we are never going to score from open play, so the only thing the new manager can work with is set pieces, so I have gone for Kightly to provide the set pieces, and height
from all our centre backs in both boxes :Smile:

Yes I have unfortunately ! I'm going for height, with a bit of trickery to win free kicks.
Cox can come on as sub if he is fit enough.

Lets face it we are never going to score from open play, so the only thing the new manager can work with is set pieces, so I have gone for Kightly to provide the set pieces, and height
from all our centre backs in both boxes :Smile:

Interesting bit about set pieces. On Saturday our set piece free kicks were bordering on pathetic and that was with Kightly on the pitch. I'm amazed that we don't let Sam Hart take them, he does have a more educated left peg than most in the team.

Have no idea what Kevin Bond's preferred system is now- doubt Tottenham or Portsmouth played too much 442. But..

When I saw the line up last week I thought that was 442 but apparently it was somehow 4231. Doesn't work. Square pegs sound holes. Bunn and Kightly need to be wide/wingers- it's what they do, where there are effective. Playing narrower doesn't work and is easier to defend against. As we also saw.

I want 442 but the problem is our CM. End of last year we had 442 with Kightly & MacLaughlin wide but had Yearwood and Timlin in the middle (then Mantom on form when available). Point is to play 442 you need 2 high energy midfielders box to box and who put their foot in. Creativity comes from wide- plenty of ball in the box and 2 strikers.

Two problems- need Cox plus someone who can head the ball? Well not necessarily - get the ball in quickly, dont delay, mix high and low crosses but get the ball in the box- if forwards and midfielders know its coming they will gamble.

Which two CMs at the moment can we test to keep it together? Dru plus one I would suggest- Mantom if fit and on form (he worked with Dru last year). Or at least Hyam puts it about.

Wide men pick themselves- we only have 2- Kightly & Bunn

I fear because we are in dog fight we set up defensively but truly we are at our worst when camped in our own last third..

Why with one mention of being back training are people assuming Humphrys will or can play??? Mental!
No,just desperate .
A young cf -Marah-came on for the last 5mins at Stevenage this afternoon.I await a rush of demands that he starts for the first team.

Have no idea what Kevin Bond's preferred system is now- doubt Tottenham or Portsmouth played too much 442. But..

When I saw the line up last week I thought that was 442 but apparently it was somehow 4231. Doesn't work. Square pegs sound holes. Bunn and Kightly need to be wide/wingers- it's what they do, where there are effective. Playing narrower doesn't work and is easier to defend against

4231 is exactly the formation to suit what we have and is in no way sq pegs in round holes.

Assuming we are all happy with a back four and gk roles....

We have an abundance of holding CMs (despite who thinks who is good or not!) do you play two of them to protect the back four becomes this allows full backs to get forward which again we’d all agree is probably Demi and Harts assets?

Cox isn’t a CF.....agreed? He’s best deeper creating and being involved in the build ups....so he plays as the central player of the 3

Bunn and Kightly then play as high wide forwards (not narrow at all) supporting the one up front who needs to have a physical presence much like Emile offers (again whether we agree on how good or not is irrelevant, they are his attributes)

We don’t have two CFs good enough to play 442 and we do t have two CMs good enough to only play two in there and Bunn and Kightly dont defend well enough to be wide in a 4.

Bishop

Demi Kiernan Lennon Hendrie*

Bunn Yearwood Hyam Hart*

Cox Aquah

*Hart to play left back and Kightly to play left wing if it's too soon for Hendrie after today's game.

I think the team above gives us the most bite we're ever going to get with the players available in midfield. Hart has probably been the best down the flanks in recent weeks, which isn't hard!

Slim pickings, but I gave it my best. Yet, people wonder why Pep hasn't begged for the job!

Will MacL be fit? If so he starts rather than Bunn or Kites.
Is Humphreys okay to play? If so he starts with Cox.
Ox rather than ish, I rate Bish but Ox has something g to prove.
Demi, Kiernon, Lennon, Hart.

And that leaves the 3 midfield p,aces which have been a major problem for many months; Dru and Hyem seem best opposites to work without getting roles confused and so for last place it is between who is left and Sam needs a start IMO.

Ox
DEMI, Kienon, Lennon, Hart.
MacL, Dru, Hyem, Mantom.
Cox Hump

Back