• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thank you for highlighting my point so well. I see no problem with players errors being discussed after a game and hopefully players will learn from those, as indeed Bolger did last season.

Is it though really necessary to be having a dig at Bolger after the first game of the season.

Did you mean that ......... or was it a question ......... or has something been lost in the grammar? :unsure:

Did you mean that ......... or was it a question ......... or has something been lost in the grammar? :unsure:

I have edited to include punctuation. It was intended as as question and even without the punctuation I would have thought the first word gave it away!

Just in case it is not clear I do NOT think it was necessary.

Thank you for highlighting my point so well. I see no problem with players errors being discussed after a game and hopefully players will learn from those, as indeed Bolger did last season.

Is it though, really necessary to be having a dig at Bolger after the first game of the season?

It wasn't a dig, it's actually what I believe. Bolger is prone to lapses of concentration, more so than any player I've seen for a long long time. On the Youtube video posted of the highlights on another thread, at 1:30 secs, the Fleetwood player put a cross in. Bolger can clearly see the player and the cross but just ignores it altogether. Whether he got a call from Barrett I don't know, but the ball goes straight past Bolger and Barrett struggles to get near the ball and the Fleetwood player was lucky not to score, hitting the bar. It doesn't look at all good and I sincerely hope these lapses in concentration are looked at the management team and stopped.

It wasn't a dig, it's actually what I believe. Bolger is prone to lapses of concentration, more so than any player I've seen for a long long time. On the Youtube video posted of the highlights on another thread, at 1:30 secs, the Fleetwood player put a cross in. Bolger can clearly see the player and the cross but just ignores it altogether. Whether he got a call from Barrett I don't know, but the ball goes straight past Bolger and Barrett struggles to get near the ball and the Fleetwood player was lucky not to score, hitting the bar. It doesn't look at all good and I sincerely hope these lapses in concentration are looked at the management team and stopped.

Fair enough, it just came across that way.

I too have reservations about Bolger (and Thompson for that matter) and think it is an area we need to improve. Bolger did though improve in the latter half of the season and formed en excellent partnership with Barrett. Yes, he made a mistake on Saturday, but it was only the first game and one which 9 times out of 10 he would have got way with. I would like to see a few more games before making predictions about Bolger for the rest of the season.

Luke Prosser is an excellent example of someone who had a poor start to his Southend career but has developed into a reasonably dependable centre back

Back