• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What sort of a view is that, pointless sticking a camera down there:facepalm:

There will be 2 types of posts regarding the goal ..............

a) those criticising 1 player or some players or the whole Southend team who were clearly at fault

b) those that say it was a cracking strike that reminds you how good football can be.

I'd like to think I was in the second group ..............

I was stood right behind the goal and it was a fantastic strike, there are no doubts about that. However, it literally came from nothing - they didn't really look like scoring until that point which was frustrating. I think a point was a fair reflection of the game though given the chances that both sides ultimately created, but for me we still need someone who's going to put clear cut chances to bed. McLeod the answer maybe?

There will be 2 types of posts regarding the goal ..............

a) those criticising 1 player or some players or the whole Southend team who were clearly at fault

b) those that say it was a cracking strike that reminds you how good football can be.

I'd like to think I was in the second group ..............

I would say it is a bit of both. It was a fantastic strike however Bolger should have done better with the clearance and had he done so then the opportunity to strike the ball would not have arisen.

Generally everyone is quick to praise players for their positive contributions and I see no problem with players errors being discussed on here as long as it relevant to that game and does not lead to them being scapegoated.

I would say it is a bit of both. It was a fantastic strike however Bolger should have done better with the clearance and had he done so then the opportunity to strike the ball would not have arisen.

Generally everyone is quick to praise players for their positive contributions and I see no problem with players errors being discussed on here as long as it relevant to that game and does not lead to them being scapegoated.

This is fair point. Adam Barrett had said that the difference between L2 and L1 is the level of finishing. Goals like yesterday's one would have been rarer last season. Bolger has made of hash of things about 40 yards from goal and within about 3 seconds they have capitalised on it.

This is fair point. Adam Barrett had said that the difference between L2 and L1 is the level of finishing. Goals like yesterday's one would have been rarer last season. Bolger has made of hash of things about 40 yards from goal and within about 3 seconds they have capitalised on it.

I am expecting to hear that quite a few times this season

Still as negative and misirable as last season despite promotion. Bolger played a big part in our promotion winning side, it must pain you to see a Phil Brown signing doing well.

Still as negative and misirable as last season despite promotion. Bolger played a big part in our promotion winning side, it must pain you to see a Phil Brown signing doing well.

Bolger and Barrett did well back end of last season and I really hope they perform as well this season but I do have concerns about Bolger and still not 100% about Barrett in L1 but fingers crossed

As for Brown's signings I'd love to see them all do well and us to get promoted again, would be great. I am neither negative to miserable but I do have an opinion which I am entitled to give, much the same as you do. I remember you not liking certain players but that's your opinion

Bolger and Barrett did well back end of last season and I really hope they perform as well this season but I do have concerns about Bolger and still not 100% about Barrett in L1 but fingers crossed

As for Brown's signings I'd love to see them all do well and us to get promoted again, would be great. I am neither negative to miserable but I do have an opinion which I am entitled to give, much the same as you do. I remember you not liking certain players but that's your opinion

I like every player ;)

I think the opposition have sussed Bently out. Hit it at 100 mph in the very top left hand corner of the goal. Last two competitive goals conceded in the same place.

seriously though, shows the quality of strike needed to beat him.

I think the opposition have sussed Bently out. Hit it at 100 mph in the very top left hand corner of the goal. Last two competitive goals conceded in the same place.

seriously though, shows the quality of strike needed to beat him.

He should have had the Wycombe one. Far too slow and then too late across his line. It had time to hit the underside of the bar and then ricochet off his back for gods sake.

Yeah the Wycombe goal was a freak goal and was more an accident than anything else. The Fleetwood goal was a screamer. Top class goal.

Thank you for highlighting my point so well. I see no problem with players errors being discussed after a game and hopefully players will learn from those, as indeed Bolger did last season.

Is it though, really necessary to be having a dig at Bolger after the first game of the season?

Last edited:
Back