• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flying horror stories

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
I have no problems with flying but coming back from Amsterdam tonight I could have done without the 1 hour delay because they had to start one of the engines manually. The sight of a pilot and three or four engineers scratching their heads around an engine with a manual in hand didn't fill me with wonder.

Still, one hour in the circumstances wasn't bad but it was a relief when we got airborne (and a strangely subdued plane) I can tell you.

Anyone got any real horror stories ?

I had to sit next to the wife all the way to Florida once. Does that count?

I don't know how horrifying this is, but it scared the balls off me!

I was flying out of Kai Tak one night with my Boss* in 1987 at the end of some factory inspections. It was a Cathay Pacific 747 and unusually we were sitting in the high-top behind the Cockpit, which is usually Club-class, on the right hand side of the plane. We were the last plane out, and it was somewhat disconcerting to see the lights of the Airport buildings going out even as we taxied to the end of the runway. It was a very windy night, and we had to take off inland because of the wind direction. Just after take off, and still under full power in the climb, the plane had to make a 90 degree left turn to avoid Lion Hill inland. The pilot dipped the left wing and we began to come round (flying still on a level with some buildings - you could look into peoples windows, I kid you not**). As we reached our new heading he started to pull out of the turn. Just as the wings seemed to be level, an enormous gust of wind took the left wing and casually tossed it up, so the plane suddenly found itself completely on its side with the right wing pointing down into the heart of Kowloon at just a few hundred feet. There was a sort of collective gasp and a few screams, and I can remember looking straight down at the streets below us, with people clearly visible thronging through them, and thinking somewhat irrelevantly "This will make a good headline tomorrow". :(

We seemed to hang on that wingtip for ever, then slowly the wing came up again and we staggered higher and away from what had seemed likely to be my very high-profile grave.

If I entertained any thoughts that what had just happened had been nothing particularly out of the ordinary, they were soon dispelled when the ashen-faced guy in the window seat confessed that in 30 years of flying around the Far East, he had never been remotely as scared, and then the Captain came onto the intercom and apologised for the "unusual" take off. I don't know about you, but in a fair bit of flying before and since I have NEVER heard a pilot apologise for anything but the inevitable delay in leaving the terminal, the odd bit of turbulence, or the lack of peanuts on the snack trolley.

Our mid-flight stop was Dubai, and the pilot put the Jumbo down so smoothly that I literally didn't feel the wheels touch the runway. I think that was his way of saying "Sorry, folks, and I can fly a plane, honest!"

*The firm went belly-up and he became a driving instructor. Mind, what do you expect of a man who would choose me as his Product Development Manager :minger:

**See

http://www.blonnet.com/life/2004/06/18/stories/2004061800150300.htm about

half way down the page for a good description of the joys of flying into and out of the late and unlamented Kai Tak.

my wife and i were visiting my family back in the uk, and it was decided we would take a week down in benalmadena,just outside malaga.Upon take off from stanstead carol asked my dad if he would like some chewing gum?He happily took the gum. After a few minutes he started to look uncomfortable.We asked what was wrong.He grumpily informed us that the gum had stuck to the plate of his false teeth and he couldn't remove it.
This truly was a horror flight for dad as well as us as he proceeded to pull the plate out and start picking at it with a nail file.

A few years ago I flew from Kirmington (Humberside) to Oslo via Amsterdam. At Kirmington you board the plane on the tarmac.

On venturing out I was confronted by this twin engine thing that resembled a mothballed Dornier from 1941. When I asked what it was I was told it was a Fokker.

Which I have to tell was very true, I did very well to hold onto my breakfast that day.:(

Not really too much of a horror story but on a recent business trip to Ireland, my colleague warned me about Ryanair landings.

"Seriously," he said, "the pilots are so bad regular passengers tend to applaud once you're down..."

I took the comments with a pinch of salt but was curious at the very least as the plane began its descent.

He was right and as the plane settled down after what seemed like its third and final bounce, I let the blood move back into my now tense knuckles and readied myself for an applause.

I haven't flown much, but being in Aviation insurance I do hear a number of stories.

After a particularly bumpy landing the captain assumed his usual position at the door saying farewell to the passengers as they departed. most of them had disembarked as a little old lady turned as she passed the captain and asked, "did we land or were we shot down ?"

"Seriously," he said, "the pilots are so bad regular passengers tend to applaud once you're down..."
Yep, I'll second that. I've been in some appallingly bad landings with Ryanair, although my worst landing was on a flight from City Airport - an interesting place to take off from (I think I'm right in saying that City is rated as the second most difficult airport in the world to take off and land from now that Kai Tak has gone, with the most difficult remaining as Kathmandu).

However, the take off and landing at City were fine... it was the landing at the relatively docile Munich Airport that was all wrong. I think we were with KLM, but anyhow, there was a gentle chatter amongst the passengers as the plane approached the runway... and then *BANG*. The pilot quite literally dropped us onto the runway from about 30 ft. There was a brief second when I subconsciously took the brace position because you wondered if the plane's wheel-structure was strong enough to take the impact.

That it wasn't just me who thought that it was a shocking landing was confirmed by the fact that from touch-down (perhaps thrash-down would be a better descriptor) until we got to the terminal, the cabin sat in funereal silence. There were a lot of ashen faces that got off that flight, mine included.

Most of my other "interesting" flights have been with internal airlines in India. So, there was the flight with NEPC (we think it stood for "Not Exactly Pleasant or Comfortable") where the wings flapped as the pilot revved the engines prior to take-off. For 20 minutes. Although we did make it to the other end, it was reassuring to see NEPC go bust the following week.

Then there was the landing in Bangalore during the height of monsoon where we flew through an electric storm - although in the circumstances, the pilot did an absolutely brilliant job. At Bangalore airport, I was then obviously thrilled to discover that I was transferring to a four-seater plane to complete the journey to the power plant I was visiting... hmm, business travel can be fun, kids.

My worst flying experience, however, wasn't due to dodgy pilots or dodgy planes, but plain and simple delays... that one to follow in a sec (I've already got something written up, as I had to recount the tale for a different website...)

:)

Well, here goes...! My worst flying experience took place in December 1996 and perhaps the most upsetting part about it all was being lied to by KLM ground-staff at Heathrow.

My two sisters and I were due to spend Christmas with my parents who were living in India. Since our Dad worked for a Dutch company, we were required to fly with KLM via Amsterdam before catching our long-haul flight to Mumbai. Whilst waiting to board, we were suddenly told that the Heathrow flight would be delayed by 2 hours. This caused a lot of concern, since we had booked that flight expressly to leave us with 2 hours in which to change planes in Amsterdam. Given this delay, our transfer time had been wiped out, which would mean that we would miss our connecting flight.

"It's OK", said the Heathrow ground-staff, "the reason we're delayed is because Schiphol is snow-bound. If our little plane can't land, then the big plane to Bombay can't take off." Suitably reassured, we headed off for breakfast before settling in for our short flight to Holland.

45 minutes later, we broke through the cloud cover in Amsterdam... to see not a single flake of snow on the ground. Not one. To this day, I have no idea why KLM's Heathrow staff lied to us. Anyhow, that's when the real fun began.

Flights to India at Christmas are like hens' teeth - they all get bought up in June, so by 21st December, they are all but non-existent. Of course, we had missed our connecting flight to Mumbai - however, since it was KLM's fault, they had to sort out alternative flights. After an hour's wait at the transfer desk, they had managed to find us a route to Mumbai. We would need to fly from Schiphol to Rome, then change planes and fly to Cairo, and then change planes again to get to Mumbai. It was going to be a pain, but we had no choice. I noted with concern on the itinerary, however, that there was only 50 minutes to change planes in Rome... a pretty tight connection.

So, we headed over to the boarding gate for the Rome flight and waited there, when suddenly up popped "Delayed - 1 hour" on the departure board. I was beginning to lose my cool by this stage, but managing to keep a lid on it, I headed over to the desk to speak to the Dutch ground-staff and point out the fact that we could no longer make the connection in Rome. In that usually charming Dutch way, the chap behind the desk gave a laconic reply:

"Yeah, dere sheems to be a liddle bit of a problem, eh?".

That was the straw that broke the camels back. I slammed my fist on the table and hissed: "It's a f***ing disaster! Sort it out NOW!" This had the desired effect - one of the motorised trolleys came to pick us up from the gate to whisk us back to the transfer desk so that they could find us alternative flights. After another one and three-quarters hours there, they exclaimed triumphantly: "Finally, we have found you flights!" These turned out to be an unusual way to get to India from Europe.

The itinerary was Amsterdam, to Osaka in Japan, and then to Mumbai.

:thump:

That flight didn't leave until the next day, so we had to stay in Amsterdam that evening. We were, naturally, clad for the balmy climes of India - light shirts, linen trousers, flip-flops. I can confirm that wearing flip-flops when it's -1°C in Holland is not ideal.

As to the itinerary to Japan, we were supposed to have 4 hours in which to change planes in Osaka. Instead, that flight was also delayed - this time by 3 hours and 20 minutes. So, although the 11-hour flight itself was fairly uneventful, I didn't sleep a wink, since I did not know whether 40 minutes would be enough time for us to make the connecting flight - which would mean that we would have to spend Christmas in Osaka without our parents.

As for making that flight, we had asked when in Schiphol whether or not Osaka was a big airport. "Oh no," we had been informed, "It's quite small really." It turns out that big & small were the wrong adjectives. We should have asked instead about the shape of the airport. In fact, the building at Osaka airport is quite narrow... but also incredibly long.

So, as we were taxiing to our gate after having touched down, my elder sister peered through the window and stated: "There's our plane, at Gate 4". Sure enough, there was an All Nippon Airways plane - the airline with whom we were due to fly.

We eventually pulled in at gate 91.

:cry:

Luckily, at least the ground-staff in Japan were clued up - they knew about us, and the fact that we had to make the ANA flight at gate 4. We were allowed to get off the plane first, so that we could quite literally run through the entire length of the airport - with the Japanese particularly amused at the fact that I was now sporting 3 days of facial hair while also having my 12 year old sister's teddy bear tucked under my arm.

I'm pleased to say that we made the flight - another 8 hour flight - and we did get to Mumbai where we slept for a few hours before catching an internal flight at 5 a.m. to Gujarat (amusingly enough - not - the NEPC flight I mentioned in my previous post!), where my parents were living at the time. However, although we made it - albeit with no idea what time zone our bodies were in by that stage - perhaps unsurprisingly our bags did not arrive... our bags filled with all our Christmas presents, clothes and my revision in them (I had exams in January).

We did eventually see those, 11 days later. Funnily enough, I've not flown much with KLM since then.

my colleague warned me about Ryanair landings.

I think we've done this thread before but I've had 2 horror stories with Ryanair. The first wasn't really their fault and to be fair they did well to still keep a service flying in such terrible weather (force 9 gales!), coming into land at Prestwick (which for those who don't know is right on the coast) the plane was being tossed every which way and we seem to bounce to a halt on the runway. Or so I thought when a strange sensation of still moving from side to side struck the plane. This was purely the strength of the wind catching the wings and trying to turn the fuselage over!

The 2nd one was the most scary experience I've ever had on a plane. Me & the Mrs had a weekend down in Bournemouth to co-incide with our game down there 4 years ago. On the flight back with perfect weather, we started to approach Prestwick and I thought, hang on we're coming down far too quickly. The airport buildings seemed to be approaching at an incredible rate. Then just as I was bracing myself to crash we shot back up into the sky with a screech of the jet engines and then proceeded to circle around and reapproach to land. Once the plane was down, the pilot came on to apologise and claimed it was due to an obstruction on the runway. Only later did I find out about Ryanair's policy of using on the job training for their new pilots (obviously they have to have some level of skill to be let loose on the public) but the co-pilot who tried to land that day should never be let anywhere near a plane again as far as I'm concerned!

Flying back from Geneva 2 years ago, we had to land at Looton Airport with Easyjet. As much as I hate flying, this flight back was just awful. Flying to Geneva was fine, no probs at all. But coming back, the take off was dodgy, missed a load of rainclouds over England, just and landing at Looton was just just awful. We didnt land, we were just dumped. If it wasn't for the two guys I was sitting inbetween at the time, I don't know how I would have kept calm. The guys blamed it on the crew as they were all women, the sexist fools lol

I had never been on a plane before, before the trip to Switzerland, and I just hope I never have to go on another one again for a while.

Last edited:
I've flown a fair bit in 12 seater trislanders, which some people apparently find scary, but I've never had a problem with them myself.

I was a little wary on internal flights in China. I severly doubted whether the airline published its safety record and it was slightly disconcerting how they handed out souvenirs at the end of each flight as a reward for surviving.

However, air travel pales into insignificance when compared to the trauma of travelling by car, as anyone who has ever been in a car driven by a women can attest.

I'll never use United Airlines again, and take every opportunity to sully their name to all and sundry. I was flying to the US a few years back- into JFK first, then taking an internal flight to Washington Dulles. The flight itself was perfectly average, but it was at JFK that the fun started. Firstly, I had to work out what terminal my connecting flight left from, and get there (which, considered that JFK has about 15 of the little buggers, takes about half an hour on those weird shuttle buses they love at US airports). On arrival at the desk, I found my ongoing flight to DC had been cancelled due to bad weather, and was asked to wait 2 hours to see if the next one would leave. Sure enough, that one was cancelled too.

Approaching the desk to ask what the hell i was supposed to do, i was (not very politely) informed that I should go get my luggage (which they'd dumped in the international terminal on the other side of the airport) and then look for a hotel for the night. I was somewhat annoyed by this, but as a slightly naive type at the time I didn't really know what to do about it. Got my luggage and wandered around looking confused, calling my gf at the time in panic and trying to persuade her to make the 4-hour trip to pick me up. Then saw a business-type guy screaming at the United desk, who put him on a flight going somewhere near where I was going, on another airline. Wondered why they could fly but United couldn't- this would become clear later. However, I copied the manouvere and, after another 20 minute jog through beautiful JFK, found myself with a boarding pass for a flight to Baltimore.

onto the little propeller-driven thing with about 15 others, and the reason for our departure becomes clear- namely, American Airlines' relatively cavalier approach to very scary thunderstorms. Cue 40 minutes of clinging to the armrest for dear life, being buffeted around by turbulence while the woman in front of me has to be restrained by the cabin crew in order to stop her running up and down screaming 'LET ME OFF, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!' repeatedly.

so, that was the trip there. On the way back, United's plane from Washington to JFK was delayed by 90 minutes- fault on the original plane, even worse fault on the replacement plane, back to the original plane, onto the runway, forgot to put the de-icer on etc etc etc..). So my holiday concludes with yet another sprint through JFK, eventually making it to the gate for my London flight a minute before it closed. The icing on this particular cake was the United staff at the gate, who greeted me with a surly 'Where the hell have you been?'. My reply was rushed and breathless, but revolved around a word that rhymes with 'duck'.

*******s.:guns:

Squashed between two VERY fat birds coming home from Milan - Luton.

Nightmarishly long waits (12hr +) at Colombo airport (Sri Lanka), Frankfurt and Vancouver.

And 6hrs standing in a queue coming home from Corfu.

Just remembered: Flying between the north & south islands of New Zealand in a 12 seater Cessna thingy was like being a mosquito in a tornado. Was SERIOUSLY terrified and projectile vomiting.

Last edited:
Dosn't sound too dramatic, but Athens last summer my family had a 4 1/2 hour delay without food or drink sitting on a hard floor, my dad having worked a long time ago for Servisair (with Brian Dowling :)) knew that if we had to wait for 3 hour we would have to be given a coupon for food and drink each and allowed out of the departure lounge. After 3 hours it got to midnight and the check-in staff began to count out the coupons but then suprise suprise we were allowed on the plane (no food), still they insisted on doing the Easyjet A,B,C,D first come first choice seating method until a barrage of angry Brits trampled through and onto the plane. we sat on the plane and waited and waited, *******s the plane wasn't even ready it was just a decoy so we couldn't get freebies. We spent another 1 1/2 hours on the stuffy plane before it moved. Oh and the cause for this 4 1/2 hour delay "we were waiting for a fax" not too amazing but bloody annoying

Dosn't sound too dramatic, but Athens last summer my family had a 4 1/2 hour delay without food or drink sitting on a hard floor, my dad having worked a long time ago for Servisair (with Brian Dowling :)) knew that if we had to wait for 3 hour we would have to be given a coupon for food and drink each and allowed out of the departure lounge. After 3 hours it got to midnight and the check-in staff began to count out the coupons but then suprise suprise we were allowed on the plane (no food), still they insisted on doing the Easyjet A,B,C,D first come first choice seating method until a barrage of angry Brits trampled through and onto the plane. we sat on the plane and waited and waited, *******s the plane wasn't even ready it was just a decoy so we couldn't get freebies. We spent another 1 1/2 hours on the stuffy plane before it moved. Oh and the cause for this 4 1/2 hour delay "we were waiting for a fax" not too amazing but bloody annoying

I had a long wait at Corfu's airport in 2003. Seats were packed with people sleeping, nothing to do and nowhere to sit. Was horribly uncomfortable. Airports do not appear to be the Greeks' strong point.

Back