• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flying the SUFC flag in Gelsenkirchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four of us going over on the mid day Harwich to Hook ferry on Friday, camping near Dortmund (where will be in town centre Fri eve) then off to Gelsenkirchen on Sat to watch the match in the town on the big screens.

Look out for the Suffolk Shrimper flag.

Anyone else going? Would be good to meet up maybe.

Or any tips from others that have been to Germany so far for the World Cup?

Freddy for England.

it;s a cracking atmosphere, i will vouch for that..

I was in Frankfurt for the first game and would recommend you get to the screens early. We got there late and one side of the screen was closed and the other was getting full.

Transport in dirt cheap and you can get 5 people on one ticket.

Make sure you take a padlock for tent. We didnt have one and we all god robbed including my LDV Final shorts. Other tents that had padlocks were ok,

Enjoy that man.
Dave

Don't get too lairy or be in the vicinity of anyone who is, otherwise this happens, as an old mate of mine e-mailed .....

" Many of you will know about my excitement at the prospect of going to Stuttgart (with tickets) for the England game. I'm now sitting at home typing this as a totally different human being (I hope I don't feel like this for too long.)

My brother and I arrived in Stuttgart at around 9pm on Friday evening in high spirits. We quickly got changed and went to the main square and joined the, already in good voice, England fans. Things were going great and I was into my second pint, when the start of the worst 72 hours of my life began.

A Tunisian fan agreesively stood in front of the England fans and was given the finger. A couple of idiots through acouple of plastic chairs which were to only hit other England fans. My brother and I who were around 100 yards from the incident said, let's keep well away from that lot, although the afore mentioned was the whole reason for what was about to happen.

In the space of a couple of minutes we were surrounded by around 500 riot police. At this point I genuinely felt safe as I thought the situation was to be contained/diffused. After being held there for a couple of hours I started feeling that something more sinister was afoot.

We were then rounded up 1 by 1 and eventually put in a holding cell meant for 2 people, with 12 people (yes 12) to a cell. Make no mistake abou this, this was a form of torture. With nobody able to sleep, a number of people breaking down emotionally and no air within the cells. One person commented how it was like a gas chamber and believe me, that's how it felt.

Now, when I've seen people arrested on the TV, I've always thought to myself, I bet they were making trouble. Some of the people I was sharing the cell with were a company director, two school teachers (one of which was a primary teacher), I hope this is building up a picture of the type of ordinary people who were there, who were just enjoying a summer holiday.

I can't begin to tell you all the mental torture we went through, before eventually, after 18 hours we were seen before a judge in what can only be described as a kangaro court. I demanded to see legal representation, no fewer than 5 times, and was denied on each occassion. Incredibily the Judge had already decided our fate before being allowed to speak, which was to be detained, without charge, until 6am on the Monday morning.

As the authorities didn't have anywhere to put us we were all sent to various areas to be detained, again, being denied our right to legal representation. I and 17 others, through luck (or unluck) of the draw, were sent to a maximum security prison, where we were held with rapists and murderers until the Monday, where we were locked in our cell for 23 hours per day, until Monday morning.

I was in a cell with a supply teacher who was only 19, and the emotional trauma that poor lad went through, is something I never want to see again, it was horrific and the most disturbig thing I've seen or likely to be seen again.

I'm sitting here still shaking, and can't even talk to anyone about it at the momemnt so typing this on here is my only release at the moment. I ccan't believe that other human beings can treat each other in this way. I'm genuinely amazed that this isn't a major international incident.

The above are my initial ramblings so if they're not coherent, I hope you understand why.

Thank you. "

That is disgusting. A very sobering thought - it seems the English fans' reputation still precedes them
sad.gif

Confirmed what i've thought for a long time. No matter who you are, If you're English going abroad for a Football match you're already a predetermined target.

I remember seeing the deported people from Portugal giving live interviews as they walked through Gatwick, every single one said "Don't believe the reports, its the Police that should be locked up" or something to that effect.

That Story is sickening though. How they can purposefully deny basic human rights is beyond me.

I understand that's bang out of order, but the Police I met in Frankfurt were superb, I exchanged my tommy WWII hat with a Riot Policeman for his and they joined in the "ten Germany bombers" song, superb policing.

I'll be over there is weekend, but still looking for a ticket.  I'll pay £400, to be collected in Southend or Germany, if anybody is able to help please PM me.

Many thanks...

Jon

Unfortunately it's the "No Surrender ..." morons from yesteryear who have probably ruined the whole experience for the vast majority of fans who are now travelling to support their national side. When the Euro 2008 qualifying fixtures came out, we were seriously thinking about making early plans for a trip to Andorra. But we changed our minds after going through the pro's and con's and, in short, didn't want to get mistaken for the knuckle-draggers and deported to the UK. It's a real shame that England still has this reputation but don't blame the police and authorities. Blame the xenophobic p%&*ks who still think they are fighting on behalf of England. Sorry, lads, but you're not ...

rock.gif

what the statement says above i can vouch for..

police were ridiculous and i have several pictures and videos of police standing on people, and one picture shows a poor lad on the floor face down in broken galss, cut to pieces and throwing up, he fainted.. the police proceeded to stand on him and i will be making complaints to the various authorities, even women and children were arrested.. it was ridiculous, the german lads didn't try charging again though.., luckily i was caught un no mans land, between germans and english, and riot police.. got chatting to some bbc news crew who took a statement..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 29 2006,09:16)]Unfortunately it's the "No Surrender ..." morons who have probably ruined the whole experience for the vast majority of fans who are now travelling to support their national side. When the Euro 2008 qualifying fixtures came out, we were seriously thinking about making early plans for a trip to Andorra. But we changed our minds after going through the pro's and con's and, in short, didn't want to get mistaken for the knuckle-draggers and deported to the UK. It's a real shame that England still has this reputation but don't blame the police and authorities. Blame the xenophobic p%&*ks who still think they are fighting on behalf of England. Sorry, lads, but you're not ...

rock.gif
you haven't got a clue in the world.. when was the last england away game for you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ June 29 2006,10:56)]you haven't got a clue in the world.. when was the last england away game for you?
Madrid 2004. Why? I have every right to express my opinion - even if it contrary to yours, J - and I stand by my comment that England reputation remains tarnished by the antics of a few over the years, even though the authorities are doing their best to contain it. Your view?

PS - Why is it some England fans still sing "No Surrender to the IRA"? These days it's about as relevant as singing "No Surrender to Napoleon"!!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 29 2006,10:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ June 29 2006,10:56)]you haven't got a clue in the world.. when was the last england away game for you?
Madrid 2004. Why? I have every right to express my opinion - even if it contrary to yours, J - and I stand by my comment that England reputation remains tarnished by the antics of a few over the years, even though the authorities are doing their best to contain it. Your view?
my friend, my view is that you haven't got a clue about recent times... this isn't a dig at you personally,

but i haven't missed an england game in years, and there isn't "The minority" that spoil it for the rest..

on saturday/sunday, the germans were gunning for a set 2, and they got it. They were singing derogatory songs about the english.. and vice versa, and may i say it was the germans who through the first objects..
now, many like myself love this country and have a lot of pride.. this neither makes me a xenophobic or makes me a part of a "No surrender" bunch.. but after several pints, and several anti english songs, enough becomes enough.. several people took it in their own hands to sort the problem out.. and they did

we may sing 10 german bombers, we may sing 2 world wars and one world cup.. but there is no typical "no surrender beer guzzling england fan"... when abroad, many others like myself feel it is the only time to show patriotism, as you and i know that it is not possible back in england.. and if the PC brigade don't like it, they can f u c k right off..

and if offends anyone then it offends them..

because in the great scheme of life.. words do not really matter..

and thus ends todays lecture lady's and gents..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 29 2006,10:05)]PS - Why is it some England fans still sing "No Surrender to the IRA"? These days it's about as relevant as singing "No Surrender to Napoleon"!!

biggrin.gif
I read that in the Daily Mail too!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ June 29 2006,10:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 29 2006,10:03)]
[b said:
my friend, my view is that you haven't got a clue about recent times... this isn't a dig at you personally,

but i haven't missed an england game in years, and there isn't "The minority" that spoil it for the rest..

on saturday/sunday, the germans were gunning for a set 2, and they got it.  They were singing derogatory songs about the english.. and vice versa, and may i say it was the germans who through the first objects..
now, many like myself love this country and have a lot of pride.. this neither makes me a xenophobic or makes me a part of a "No surrender" bunch.. but after several pints, and several anti english songs, enough becomes enough.. several people took it in their own hands to sort the problem out.. and they did

we may sing 10 german bombers, we may sing 2 world wars and one world cup.. but there is no typical "no surrender beer guzzling england fan"... when abroad, many others like myself feel it is the only time to show patriotism, as you and i know that it is not possible back in england.. and if the PC brigade don't like it, they can f u c k right off..

and if offends anyone then it offends them..

because in the great scheme of life.. words do not really matter..

and thus ends todays lecture lady's and gents..
I agree with a lot of that.

The English fans this year have been superb. Nevertheless I would fear if all the banning orders were lifted.

Times change.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ June 29 2006,10:12)]because in the great scheme of life.. words do not really matter..
Most of what you said could be a tenable argument to a greater or lesser extent, but I'm afraid that statement is utter bollox.

The pen is still, and has always been, mightier than the sword.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 29 2006,10:49)]The pen is still, and has always been, mightier than the sword.
In some instances.

But the US didn't take Iraq with lots of nicely articulate letters.

It was because they are the biggest, most powerful and best equipped army in the world.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yoda @ June 29 2006,11:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 29 2006,10:05)]PS - Why is it some England fans still sing "No Surrender to the IRA"? These days it's about as relevant as singing "No Surrender to Napoleon"!!

biggrin.gif
I read that in the Daily Mail too!

tounge.gif
That made me laugh! The only decent comment in The Daily Mail for ages ...

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ljubljana Branch @ June 29 2006,11:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 29 2006,10:49)]The pen is still, and has always been, mightier than the sword.
In some instances.

But the US didn't take Iraq with lots of nicely articulate letters.

It was because they are the biggest, most powerful and best equipped army in the world.
Iraq isn't a modern country, they still use pencils. Hence why they were so easy to beat we all had great pens made by Jesus or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back