• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Following Southend in 1960s/1970s

shrimperian

Coach
I have been reading with some interest the various stories posed recently on here regarding following Southend away in the bad old days when going into an away end often resulted in getting a thumping or at the very least being chased back to the coach or train. Having experienced my fair share of such away days, I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone on here remembers a very sad away day in 1960s when the Southend supporters coach crashed on the way to Swansea? I believe it was a night match and the coach crashed on the M4 in Wales, I cannot recall the precise details but I think there were some nasty injuries..... does anyone have a better recollection?

I have been reading with some interest the various stories posed recently on here regarding following Southend away in the bad old days when going into an away end often resulted in getting a thumping or at the very least being chased back to the coach or train. Having experienced my fair share of such away days, I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone on here remembers a very sad away day in 1960s when the Southend supporters coach crashed on the way to Swansea? I believe it was a night match and the coach crashed on the M4 in Wales, I cannot recall the precise details but I think there were some nasty injuries..... does anyone have a better recollection?

What was it like for racism back then? Seems that rasicm is the main talking point on here at the moment

I first started going to matches in 1962 and I don't remember any racism, but in saying that, I don't remember seeing any black players.

I got bricks chucked at us at Tranmere on a very dark night in the 70's. The coach I seem to remember broke down so us 3 were the away support. We won much to the displeasure of the locals. Was on the coach at Millwall when the windscreen was broken by said brick.

I got bricks chucked at us at Tranmere on a very dark night in the 70's. The coach I seem to remember broke down so us 3 were the away support. We won much to the displeasure of the locals. Was on the coach at Millwall when the windscreen was broken by said brick.

Yep, the two things that happened a lot was the coach or car breaking down, and bricks thrown at the windows.

Drove from Southend to Darlington with 2 mates, car broke down at Retford on A1. Hired a car from Retford, drove to Darlo, arrived at half time, we won 2-0. Took car back to Retford, caught train back to London, picked up by car by friend. Got home 2.00 a.m. Main thing is, we won! Anyone travelling to support our beloved team gets my admiration. Its tough. COYBB

Those old Fords, Triumphs, Vauxhalls, Hillmans, and Austins didn't seem to like a long journey. The engine would overheat and cause the flimsy radiator to burst a lot of the time.

I think it was the head gasket as I recall, the old grey matter ain't what it used to be!

I think it was the head gasket as I recall, the old grey matter ain't what it used to be!
Head gasket on my Hillman Imp used to go all the time. Worst was coming home from Lincoln in the dark somewhere on the AI between Stamford and Huntingdon in the 60s.

I first started going to matches in 1962 and I don't remember any racism, but in saying that, I don't remember seeing any black players.
Southend played an all black team Accra Heart of Oaks in April 1970 , I dont recall any racism during the game . The first time I ever saw anything was the FA Cup 4th round game against Cardiff City in 1976 when a banana was thrown at the Cardiff fullback Clive Charles , up till then I am sure there was no racism at Roots Hall .

Southend played an all black team Accra Heart of Oaks in April 1970 , I dont recall any racism during the game . The first time I ever saw anything was the FA Cup 4th round game against Cardiff City in 1976 when a banana was thrown at the Cardiff fullback Clive Charles , up till then I am sure there was no racism at Roots Hall .

Here's the Programme. Sir Stanley Mathews on the cover.

i.jpg

I was in the north bank 75 till 81 and remember a lot of racism and some derogatory songs thankfully things moved on

In the 70s, my mate travelled up north somewhere in his Ford Capri, with a full car for a game and the head gasket blew. He had a recon engine put in. Two weeks later for the next away game up north, the radiator blew.

It was on the way back. I was near the front of the coach when it collided with a Mother's Pride Delivery van driven very badly by a Welsh tosser.
We wee rescued at the end of an evening in Bridgend by the replacement coach.
Returned to Wales twice to give evidence to support our driver who was eventually acquitted. Made a killing on expenses!

Hi Ian, I think the match you are referring to could be this:- The following report is copied from the excellent book "My Life as a Shrimper" 1952-2008 by Peter William Baker also known as Dad of Dave the Shrimper:- Saturday 14th.September 1968. Swansea Town 2, Southend United 2. A fortnight later and back to South Wales, strange the tricks the fixture list plays sometimes, a good trip uneventful, having a doze on the way back home when the coach was involved in a serious accident, It was a three vehicle pile up but fortunately nobody in the Southend party was injured. The Police arrived, they said it would take some time to get a replacement coach to take us home, they said they would arrange transport into the nearest town Bridgend so in the meantime 20 a side football resumed in the nearest field. The Police transport when it arrived was three "Black Maria's"(Police Vans) we asked if they minded if we had a "bit of a sing" in the back of the vans they said "why not". Can you then imagine the look on the locals faces when three vans of football fans arrived outside Bridgend Police Station chanting football songs, they let us out and we made for the nearest pub.
It was nearly closing time before our new coach arrived,(it had come all the way from Romford!) by this time the local lads were getting organised and becoming a bit threatening, not liking their town being taken over by us, thankfully the coach arrived and we drove off into the sunset, not getting home until about 4.00a.m. My Parents were not on the 'phone at that time, so I couldn't let them know I was going to be late, so when I finally got in they were still up worried about me as I was still only 16.
Although no one was hurt on the Southend Supporters coach, There were fatalities in one of the other vehicles.
The following text was taken from the Southend United v Chesterfield programme played on the 3rd.March 1969:- Coach Crash, You may remember the accident in which a Youth Section Coach was involved on the way back from Swansea. The Police are finally taking action and several supporters are leaving after tonight's game and travelling overnight to Cardiff to give evidence in tomorrow's court case.
P.S This little bit has been added by me "Those were the Days"(good title for a song maybe?)
Some of the things that happened 50 years ago, you just could not have made them up but to be able to believe them you just had to be there.

It was on the way back. I was near the front of the coach when it collided with a Mother's Pride Delivery van driven very badly by a Welsh tosser.
We wee rescued at the end of an evening in Bridgend by the replacement coach.
Returned to Wales twice to give evidence to support our driver who was eventually acquitted. Made a killing on expenses!
MANY THANKS MICK!!

I'm afraid memories can be rather unreliable, particularly when the matter is one where perceptions of correctness have changed in the intervening years. In my recollection monkey chanting was the norm at Roots Hall as soon as Afro-Caribbean players featured in away teams, and I've an idea that this first happened in the late sixties - QPR?? I'm pretty sure it was still targeted at away players even when we had potential targets in our own team. And I don't think such chants came only from the North Bank. As I say I think it was the norm across the nation back then. Just have a look at this, and note what became of him...
https://sports.yahoo.com/former-pre...ants-towards-black-footballers-082038770.html

my first Blues away game,May 1968 v Notts County,our coach broke down on the way to the game.not the best of starts watching Southend play away,but had a great time watching us play away in the late 60s,70s and early 80s.
Trouble,now and then,all part of watching the Blues then,but never as bad as people try and make out nowadays.
There was a lot of good fun,with "top"mates-/fans and so many great memories.It was,IMO,the best times ever watching United

There was some racism from the North Bank,against some of our "oppos".
I remember well standing next to my/our good mate.TALUT..who was Asian origin and he started a lot of the stuff off ( V the oppos).
Nobody ever slagged him off(racism) from the PAK...and if anybody would have done,the would have had trouble from ALL the lads.

Well, it's been told before! Back in 1962 travelled to Crystal Palace with a 6 foot Yogi Bear (Kelloggs' cardboard publicity) painted in Blue and white stripes. It made the trip to south London on the back of an Austin 7 owned by someone called Sylvester. Didn't know him before and haven't heard of him since. Don't think he was really a Blues supporter.....maybe just thought it would be a fun thing to do...........which it was. :Smile:. We won 2-3 and I walked around the ground, in front of Palace supporters, to change ends at half-time........wouldn't do that nowdays! An eventful day, stopped by the police near the Blackwall Tunnel and swore at by a Millwall supporter on the way back.

Back