• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Following Southend in 1960s/1970s

I first started going to matches in 1962 and I don't remember any racism, but in saying that, I don't remember seeing any black players.

Late 60's was when the first black players started to appear IIRC. Recall seeing us play at home to Mansfield early 80's I think, & they had 5 black players in their side.
Had never seen any team have this many before, but gradually it became the norm for many teams.
Racism was rare, more chants aimed at Ref's & players who had no hair on top. Chants of 'spit & polish, spit & polish spit & polish' or 'go home & shine your head' to the tune of 'why are we so great' were more common down here.

It was on the way back. I was near the front of the coach when it collided with a Mother's Pride Delivery van driven very badly by a Welsh tosser.
We wee rescued at the end of an evening in Bridgend by the replacement coach.
Returned to Wales twice to give evidence to support our driver who was eventually acquitted. Made a killing on expenses!

Sounds like you had a slice of luck there. I'm glad the other side weren't able to prove anything and am also pleased you used your loaf and made some dough.

Some of you guys really ought to write a feature for the programme about the old days - might need a bit of sanitising but that story above as @B.B.The Legend Lives On. writes it would make a great article.

Although no one was hurt on the Southend Supporters coach, There were fatalities in one of the other vehicles.
The following text was taken from the Southend United v Chesterfield programme played on the 3rd.March 1969:- Coach Crash, You may remember the accident in which a Youth Section Coach was involved on the way back from Swansea. The Police are finally taking action and several supporters are leaving after tonight's game and travelling overnight to Cardiff to give evidence in tomorrow's court case.

Not sure there was a fatality, let alone more than one, and the charge faced by our driver, Steve, was not a "causing death by .." type of charge. The first trial was adjourned due to someone (who had a far shorter journey than us!) not turning up and it eventually took place some weeks later. No problem getting off school for the trials unlike the midweek away matches of the time which needed more careful "planning".

There was some racism from the North Bank,against some of our "oppos".
I remember well standing next to my/our good mate.TALUT..who was Asian origin and he started a lot of the stuff off ( V the oppos).
Nobody ever slagged him off(racism) from the PAK...and if anybody would have done,the would have had trouble from ALL the lads.

It was a bit before my time but I do know Talut quite well through playing golf.

He told me story a while ago about when he was targeted because of who he is, by a Bristol Rovers mob who i believe tried to stab him.

I have long had a theory that the so called 'gangs' of that era were a benefit to society over all.

The Southend PAK were ahead of their time with a Muslim as one of the top boys......He is still well respected by anyone who knows him.

There was some racism from the North Bank,against some of our "oppos".
I remember well standing next to my/our good mate.TALUT..who was Asian origin and he started a lot of the stuff off ( V the oppos).
Nobody ever slagged him off(racism) from the PAK...and if anybody would have done,the would have had trouble from ALL the lads.
I remember a couple of black guys that went in the North Bank late 60s early 70s , one was known as Black John .

It was a bit before my time but I do know Talut quite well through playing golf.

He told me story a while ago about when he was targeted because of who he is, by a Bristol Rovers mob who i believe tried to stab him.

I have long had a theory that the so called 'gangs' of that era were a benefit to society over all.

The Southend PAK were ahead of their time with a Muslim as one of the top boys......He is still well respected by anyone who knows him.

I was at my mate Robbie Winkworth's garden party about 3 years ago, and me and Talut were talking about the old times. He told me that story. He said they chased him through that little alley between Vic Avenue and Hill Road next to the church hall, opposite the club shop and tried to stab him. He couldn't believe knives had come into it. He said he had no chance anyway because they were in a little mob, and he would have accepted a kicking, but he was in total shock when they pulled out knives. He said that's when he stopped going.

Another consideration is the attitude of our parents then;

At 12 I started going on coaches to away matches just with mates of my own age. My first away match was an evening match at QPR and got home at midnight.

At 14 I would say to my parents at 8.00 pm Friday I'm off to football now (Darlington Workington etc away) I'll see you sometime Sunday.

At 18 I told them I was hitch hiking to Europe for a couple of weeks see you when I get back.

This was a time when we didn't have a phone at home or any of the neighbours come to that, so there was no way of letting them know if you were in trouble/going to be late etc.

Don't get me wrong there is no criticism of mine or anybody else's parents, it was the way it was then, but would you allow your children to do this now? I know Wino wouldn't allow juveniles on the coaches unaccompanied.

The Youth section coaches were almost exclusively teenagers or early twenties

Here's the Programme. Sir Stanley Mathews on the cover.

i.jpg
Funny I always thought that game was played in April when I was still at school .

Another consideration is the attitude of our parents then;

At 12 I started going on coaches to away matches just with mates of my own age. My first away match was an evening match at QPR and got home at midnight.

At 14 I would say to my parents at 8.00 pm Friday I'm off to football now (Darlington Workington etc away) I'll see you sometime Sunday.

At 18 I told them I was hitch hiking to Europe for a couple of weeks see you when I get back.

This was a time when we didn't have a phone at home or any of the neighbours come to that, so there was no way of letting them know if you were in trouble/going to be late etc.

Don't get me wrong there is no criticism of mine or anybody else's parents, it was the way it was then, but would you allow your children to do this now? I know Wino wouldn't allow juveniles on the coaches unaccompanied.

The Youth section coaches were almost exclusively teenagers or early twenties

Was this the norm for the time?

Could you imagine the Daily Mails take on this today?

Was this the norm for the time?

Could you imagine the Daily Mails take on this today?

Yes it was I would say, as above at 12 I was going with same aged mates ,one time three of got a double deck bus from Victoria Avenue to Col Ewe for a friendly.

As above the Youth section coaches were almost exclusively teenagers or early twenties, so yes I think this was normal. You left school at 15 or 16 and started work,

Yes it was I would say, as above at 12 I was going with same aged mates ,one time three of got a double deck bus from Victoria Avenue to Col Ewe for a friendly.

As above the Youth section coaches were almost exclusively teenagers or early twenties, so yes I think this was normal. You left school at 15 or 16 and started work,

As OBL said earlier, you more senior chaps should put something together about this. Even better if you had the odd picture or two.

This really isn't so long ago but shows how much society has changed.

When I was 14 during the early 80,s I would regularly travel from Romford to Tottenham and stand up in the shelf.
I would then crap myself when the ICF stormed the shelf, not many away usually made it that far.

I have now have a son who is 15, and as a parent I get worried when he goes to Bas Vegas during the evening,
Point being, yes how things do indeed change.

Dont remember Black John,sounds more like a pirate.
But Merv.im sure it was him,lived in a flat in the same road as i did..77-78.
Remember he and his long time girlfriend(maybe now wife),went to the Nottinghill carnival 77-78?? she got attacked and was robbed of her handbag,she was white,they öleft Merv alone,he done his best to help his G/F,but could not stop "mob rule"....Merv,is im sure,still a real nice lad

Dont remember Black John,sounds more like a pirate.
But Merv.im sure it was him,lived in a flat in the same road as i did..77-78.
Remember he and his long time girlfriend(maybe now wife),went to the Nottinghill carnival 77-78?? she got attacked and was robbed of her handbag,she was white,they öleft Merv alone,he done his best to help his G/F,but could not stop "mob rule"....Merv,is im sure,still a real nice lad
Black John was well known back in the day , he came up Leigh Comm a few times as he wanted to go out with one of The Leigh Comm Doris"s about 69-70 .

Back