• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Following Southend in 1960s/1970s

Dont remember Black John,sounds more like a pirate.
But Merv.im sure it was him,lived in a flat in the same road as i did..77-78.
Remember he and his long time girlfriend(maybe now wife),went to the Nottinghill carnival 77-78?? she got attacked and was robbed of her handbag,she was white,they öleft Merv alone,he done his best to help his G/F,but could not stop "mob rule"....Merv,is im sure,still a real nice lad

Ha! I also went to the Nottinghill Hill carnival in both 77 and 78 with my then girlfriend (now wife).She had her handbag slit open at the bottom with a knife.Nothing stolen IIRC because I 'd warned her not to take any cash/valuables with her.

Dont remember Black John,sounds more like a pirate.
But Merv.im sure it was him,lived in a flat in the same road as i did..77-78.
Remember he and his long time girlfriend(maybe now wife),went to the Nottinghill carnival 77-78?? she got attacked and was robbed of her handbag,she was white,they öleft Merv alone,he done his best to help his G/F,but could not stop "mob rule"....Merv,is im sure,still a real nice lad

Merv is a nice bloke. He's the whitest black man I know. Most of his mates are white. His girlfriends were all white. He has a 100% white accent, unlike most blacks that have Jamaican or African in their voice. He's a real character as well. He was one of the Sutton Arms lads back in the day.

He's still about. He was at Carl's wake at Bellini's. Some summers he sells second hand stuff with Tony the ferret, in the car park behind Smithy's on the seafront.

I saw & spoke to him after Carl's funeral. Was the first time i'd seen him since the 70's!. IMO he hadn't changed much & still recognisable.

not only the 60s-70s,imo,better than now....but we had also REAL slang!

i do think,maybe wrongly,but that-those late 60s teams were more entertaining that teams now.I know time are different.My mate and fellow life long Shrimper,JOE, his father comes from Belfast.
His father(also a Blues fan) met Sammy Mcmillan.Mac was also i think from Northern Ireland,so he was invited round to a party they were having and he turned up.I believe with another Blues player.making a very young Joes day.Something he has never forgotten.
Cannot see that happening nowadays,Blues players turn up at party,then drinking beer...without somebody moaning or trying to make a scandal out of it....happy days

Back