• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

OK, blatently stealing the idea from WSC for the updated club history section on SZ : what would be your candidates for the following?

Fondly Remembered
Which player or manager brings you out in goosebumps when you remember his contribution to Southend United? Who do you think should be bestowed which such an honour? Should it be Chris Powell? Stan Collymore? Dave Smith? Richard Cadette? Ronnie Poutney? Alan Moody? Dave Webb?

Best Forgotten
It's probably harder to try and pinpoint one single player / manager who can be best described as instantly forgettable, mainly because of the very nature of the title! But, let's give it a try : what about Mario Walsh? Dick Bate? Alvin Martin? Barrington Belgrave? Richard Young?

The most obvious winners will be proudly displayed for all eternity on ShrimperZone's new and improved club history section.

So choose wisely ...

WS

smile.gif

That's a big challenge, as soon as I've posted I'll want to change my mind but just now my "Fond Memories" vote goes to Gary Nelson

Forgetable? Rawle
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ July 21 2004,18:54)]That's a big challenge, as soon as I've posted I'll want to change my mind
Exactly. But I see your "Best Forgotten" choice was pretty easy!

WS

Best remebered Chris Powell
The most easily forgotten has to be Dominic Foley or Danny Marney, but i would have to go for Rawle or Graeme Jones
rock.gif

Best remembered - Naturally Roy McDonough - rationale - far from the most skilful player but if we had eleven Roy McDonoughs in our starting line up we would not be at the wrong end of the basement division.

Best Forgotten - Ermmmmmmmm, wassisname ?
smile.gif

I think I'll have to go for Ronnie Whelan (as a player manager). Responsible solely imho for starting the decline of SUFC from which we are still trying to recover from.

It was a close call. Alvin Martin and Anton Johnson were both in the running as well.

Foundly remembered would have to be Stan Collymore and easily forgotten would have to be Rio Alderton.

Hopefully we can all forget about Steve Wignall and his so called 'revolution' as soon as possible

Remembered - Richard Cadette, my first SUFC hero

Forgotten - Dick Bate, with Alvin Martin close behind!

Remembered - Mike Marsh. Okay so his was by no means a golden era but wouldn't it be great if just one of our current squad had a first touch as good as his was. Took a decent penalty too!

Forgotten - Chipmunk. Funny how he's never been given another chance in management, isn't it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ July 22 2004,12:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ July 22 2004,12:32)]Forgotten  Danny Greaves
On the plus side it did cause us to get a mention virtually every week on Saint and Greavsie
Three months ITV stopped producing show
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Most fondly remembered: Stan Collymore, I've never known there be such a sense of anticipation every time a player touched the ball. It didn't matter if it was in his own half, he had his back to goal or was surrounded by 4 opponents.

Best forgotten: Barry Fry, he told us he would walk on broken glass to get to Southend, that he loved the club. For 9 glorious months we played the most exciting attacking football I've had the pleasure to witness.

Fry showed us the dream. Then he walked out on us.

Back