• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football commentators & Pundits

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Over the years I've listened to any amount of commentators and pundits and looking back my favourite commentators over decades were Motty and Barry Davis with Brian Moore a close follower. Both Motson and Davies used to do prodigious research on players and their statistics and then only use them when it was pertinent to a moment in a game. Now days we get commentators and pundits working together and most talking drivel in my opinion.

So, what do you think of the current way of commentating and who is your favourite commentator, from the past or now for that matter?

Most are ok with me and generally enjoyed listening to John Motson but can not stand Martin Tyler and he can spoil my enjoyment of a match.

Reactions: ESG
I agree modern commentators talk too much and co-commentators offer little value. Jonathan Pearce and Guy Mowbray are the best of the current bunch. Clive Tyldesley came out with some great lines too before he was dumped by ITV.

Kids growing up now won't have the same associations with commentators that previous generations had because they just watch highlights on their phones or they're watching other things/listening to music at the same time.

I’ve pretty much stopped watching football on television and I think the commentary has played a big part in that. They need to shut up and stop telling me how great the game/player/occasion is. The constant hyperbole and trying to sell me the game really wore me down.

I’d so much rather hear just the roar of the crowd than Clive ****ing Tyldesley.

Gerald Sinstadt for me in the day and sad to say Stuart Hall added fun to a game
I loved Stuart Hall's description of a game listening on the radio in the 70s. He used to throw in as many long words as he could. It was entertaining and clever. I liked him on It's A Knockout, that infectious laugh. So I was so disappointed and shocked when he got 5 years prison for raping young girls in his Mansion. Now I see him as a piece of dirt that should rot in hell.

I’ve pretty much stopped watching football on television and I think the commentary has played a big part in that. They need to shut up and stop telling me how great the game/player/occasion is. The constant hyperbole and trying to sell me the game really wore me down.

I’d so much rather hear just the roar of the crowd than Clive ****ing Tyldesley.
There are two things that annoy me about Sky more than anyone else. Firstly, I've noticed how they ruin everything with unnecessary and pointless stats that don't mean anything. Secondly they always trot out a stat near the end of a game where they show how many late goals have been scored by either team. To me that's just a desperate attempt to persuade people to watch until the bitter end even if the game is crap.

Why do we need commentary in the first place? I can see "It's a corner!"
True, but it's nice if the pundit tells you how he/she used to take the ball into that corner and waste time. It just adds more colour to the commentary.

I don't have a problem with most of the live commentators at any sporting avent, they're all pretty good. I do however have an issues with the BBC with it's studio guests. Some of the crap they come out with is shocking. It's the most woke TV channel ever.

Last edited:
Hi, TV's have Volume Controls. You don't have to listen to it.
They do, but sound is such an integral part of the match watching experience: the murmur of the crowd rising to a roar as the home team attacks, the noise the ball makes thudding against the post; the groan as the rebound is put wide; the crunch of a tackle. You’re hearing when danger arises from the crowd reaction far quicker than waiting for the commentator to describe what happened.

I’ve watched games with the sound off (eg in the pub) and it’s never as engaging as when you can hear as well.

I loathe how present-day commentators, especially on the BBC, trip over themselves trying to be neutral when England are playing. They have no such qualms about the muppets from the other home nations (and Ireland who are nothing to do with us). I love a good biased commentary, especially for the England games. I can't recall who it was, commentating on Villa vs Inter back in the day, but when Villa scored the winning penalty, he shouted 'get in there you beauty!'. Magic.

I loathe how present-day commentators, especially on the BBC, trip over themselves trying to be neutral when England are playing. They have no such qualms about the muppets from the other home nations (and Ireland who are nothing to do with us). I love a good biased commentary, especially for the England games. I can't recall who it was, commentating on Villa vs Inter back in the day, but when Villa scored the winning penalty, he shouted 'get in there you beauty!'. Magic.
BT Sports commentators are still pretty biased when they do the Champions League, especially if Steve McManaman is watching Liverpool play.

Back