• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football commentators & Pundits

Sound is such an integral part of the match watching experience: the murmur of the crowd rising to a roar as the home team attacks, the noise the ball makes thudding against the post; the groan as the rebound is put wide; the crunch of a tackle. You’re hearing when danger arises from the crowd reaction far quicker than waiting for the commentator to describe what happened. I’ve watched games with the sound off (eg in the pub) and it’s never as engaging as when you can hear as well.
Exactly. You don't see people wearing ear defenders at a match.

They do, but sound is such an integral part of the match watching experience: the murmur of the crowd rising to a roar as the home team attacks, the noise the ball makes thudding against the post; the groan as the rebound is put wide; the crunch of a tackle. You’re hearing when danger arises from the crowd reaction far quicker than waiting for the commentator to describe what happened.

I’ve watched games with the sound off (eg in the pub) and it’s never as engaging as when you can hear as well.
Spot on! I wish there were options to have commentary off with just crowd noise. Sometimes it sounds like they feel the need to say something when not saying anything is just as good and let the atmosphere of the ground in.

The best commentary in my opinion is when they offer some value, like statistics on players/games, or the ex-professional player who can offer insight into a player, team or coach they played under that we won't usually get.

Too many offer zero or little extra that just makes it annoying.

Haven't got a problem with any of them with one exception.....Martin Tyler :Angry:

Peter Jones when I was a youngster.

Alan Green has to top the list of broadcaster that I despised. Would spend half the commentary criticising something or other. Just tell me what’s happening FFS.

Stuart Hall’s summaries had me turning the volume down long before I ever met the guy at a charity It’s a Knockout in Battersea Park. Behind the scenes he was a thoroughly obnoxious bully.

Jonathan Pearce in the early days tried too hard, then matured into a decent commentator.

I think you can watch with just crowd noise - at least on the matches shown on amazon.

Worst was during lock down when they had the fake crowd noise

I was listening to Kammy (Chris Kamara) the other day and noted he has really bad Aphasia now.
When your living evolves around commentary to suffer from this must be awful for him.

I see the likes of Lineker has fallen on his own sword. Likes to preach to everyone his WOKE views, but happy to go to Doha for a big pay cheque.

Last edited:
Back