• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football in crisis

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
The head of FIFA wanted by the FBI, the head of UEFA suspended, the best player in the world facing prison over tax evasion.

Football's not in good shape at the moment.

The head of FIFA wanted by the FBI, the head of UEFA suspended, the best player in the world facing prison over tax evasion.

But our new ground is closer to happening now. :winking:

What on earth has Barry been up to?!

On the other hand a massive catalyst of change has been forced, which is what everyone wanted.

This could be the thing that vitalises FIFA and sorts it our properly.

On the other hand a massive catalyst of change has been forced, which is what everyone wanted.

Aren't those the things that caused VW to cheat?
I blame the Germans, French, Swiss, Argies, Spanish AND as they have now qualified for the Euros with a win over past champs, both of Northern Ireland and Greece.

I can't remember his name, but there is a British journalist that has been after FIFA for about 20 years. I've watched programmes where he has confronted people like Sepp Blatter and been dismissed as an idiot, but has also been blamed for England not being awarded World Cups previously.

I hope he is genuinely sitting at home at the moment thinking, "I told you so"!

I can't remember his name, but there is a British journalist that has been after FIFA for about 20 years. I've watched programmes where he has confronted people like Sepp Blatter and been dismissed as an idiot, but has also been blamed for England not being awarded World Cups previously.

I hope he is genuinely sitting at home at the moment thinking, "I told you so"!

I know the guy you mean. He was mentioned on TalkSport this morning. Andrew Jennings rings a bell.

England qualified for Euros with 100% record and Blues pushing for a playoff place in League 1. I would say that football is in excellent shape right now.

What's the England score then, rusty? Can nip down to the bookies with that.

England have qualified and have a 100% record - I don't know what the score will be tonight, but I would venture that a narrow away win would be most likely. I only lay claim to genius, not clairvoyance.

More seriously, these shenanigans do not cast a good light on the FA either. Their support of both Blatter and Platini is, like much of our stewardship of the game in the 50s to mid 70s, looks dubious to say the least.

I think more generally the FA are seriously conflicted. Do they represent the interests of the England national team or the Premiership? Because the interests of the two are quite divergent.

The answer has always been a simple one. It only needs the top 10 or 12 top footballing nations to say goodbye fifa we are setting up a new international football federation. Anyone is welcome to join us. Good luck fifa in selling a world cup without the Germans, Italians, Spanish, French, English, Brazil, Portugal, USA etc

More seriously, these shenanigans do not cast a good light on the FA either. Their support of both Blatter and Platini is, like much of our stewardship of the game in the 50s to mid 70s, looks dubious to say the least.

I think more generally the FA are seriously conflicted. Do they represent the interests of the England national team or the Premiership? Because the interests of the two are quite divergent.

The FA has a huge conundrum; it knows grass roots football is falling, it knows league football is doing well, BUT neither of these has any money.
AND without money very little changes for the better.
Prem is flush with cash, and power BUT no interest in UK national sides or assisting other areas of UK football.
National UK teams will qualify for tournaments, draw big support, make money etc BUT not enough to change anything as Joe Public generally just wants "fast food" football.
Incidentally isn't Rugby Union in the UK going the same way?

The answer has always been a simple one. It only needs the top 10 or 12 top footballing nations to say goodbye fifa we are setting up a new international football federation. Anyone is welcome to join us. Good luck fifa in selling a world cup without the Germans, Italians, Spanish, French, English, Brazil, Portugal, USA etc

As I've said before, any organisation that manages the biggest sport on the globe, with multi-billion pound contracts for World Cups & other international championships will be open to the same levels of bribery, crime and abuse as FIFA. Some, if not most human beings are really, really greedy deep down.

As I've said before, any organisation that manages the biggest sport on the globe, with multi-billion pound contracts for World Cups & other international championships will be open to the same levels of bribery, crime and abuse as FIFA. Some, if not most human beings are really, really greedy deep down.

The IOC cleaned up their act. There's no reason why FIFA can't do the same. But I think they need an outside person to basically start again because it seems almost inevitable that everyone involved up until now will have done something wrong, and will therefore be tainted.

I personally think it would be interesting to try and persuade Michael Garcia to take over.

Yep agreed,

Stop the ghastly bidding practise which even our very own FA gave lavish gifts away as bribes.

It needs the WC to have the host nation selected en masse,so the next 10 events are chosen on the same day.

It seems Andrew Jennings really is having the last laugh after all.

It turns out that the FBI action against Chuck Blazer (which triggered the entire investigation) started with a meeting between him and the FBI in London.

Great Panorama last night. My wife and I were actually laughing, their levels of corruption were so high...and so blatant. Every person who was supposed to be the next leader, and had pledged to clean up FIFA turned out to be just as corrupt as the last. There really will be no-one left soon. It really does stink, and lends more weight to the argument that they need someone from outside to take over and start again.

Who was the guy that gave $500,000 to Haiti for refugees from the earthquake, but actually gave the money to Jack Warner to distribute? You couldn't make it up!

Back