• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football Injuries

benny the blue

Youth Team
Good evening Ladies and Gents,

Im in the process of finishing off my degree and need to complete a presentation on football injuries.

My topic is anterior cruciate ligament injuries (ACL) and the rehab that they require.

I was wondering if anyone can list any high profile players who have had ACL injuries. Off the top of my head I can think of Owen, Van Nistelrooy, Ricardo Gardener. Any others please?

Also does anyone have links to any websites that I might be able to get quotes about their rehab and how hard they found it etc?

Cheers

Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ Aug. 14 2006,20:34)]Good evening Ladies and Gents,

Im in the process of finishing off my degree and need to complete a presentation on football injuries.

My topic is anterior cruciate ligament injuries (ACL) and the rehab that they require.

I was wondering if anyone can list any high profile players who have had ACL injuries. Off the top of my head I can think of Owen, Van Nistelrooy, Ricardo Gardener. Any others please?

Also does anyone have links to any websites that I might be able to get quotes about their rehab and how hard they found it etc?

Cheers

Ben
Shame your presenation was not on the breaking of the tibia and fibula caused by a tackle during a match - I can give you a real life case study plus offer the loan of my metal work that I had removed!!

If you are interested as previously mentioned I am in the Old Grapes regularly!!!

[b said:

Cheers

Ben
Why dont you try and contact John Stannard at the club. I'm sure he would help.

[b said:

Cheers

Ben
Swansea defender Garry Monk has just been ruled out for 6 months because of this...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ Aug. 14 2006,20:34)]I was wondering if anyone can list any high profile players who have had ACL injuries. Off the top of my head I can think of Owen, Van Nistelrooy, Ricardo Gardener. Any others please?
Me.

Although the high profile bit rules me out of the list.
sad.gif

I had a grade 2 sprain, obviously couldn't do to much and was hobbling around on crutches for 5 weeks or so. I had to have an X-ray to rule out a broken leg, also had an ultrasound on my knee but can't remember why. The worst bit of the injury was the fact that I heard and felt a 'pop' noise coming from my knee, it was a horrible noise which at the time made me feel like being physically sick.

Alexis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (benny the blue @ Aug. 14 2006,20:34)]My topic is anterior cruciate ligament injuries (ACL) and the rehab that they require.

I was wondering if anyone can list any high profile players who have had ACL injuries.
Oooooooooooh Sir ! Sir !

I'm about as high profile as you're going to get
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I tore my ACL and dislocated my kneecap 1993. Fortunately it wasn't too severe and two months in a lightweight cast followed by three months intensive physio saw me kicking footballs by January the following year and playing by February. I can still remember the pain of putting my knee back in place.

Have you ever tried to get upstairs in a hurry when you're bursting for a crap with a full thigh to ankle cast on ?

Wasn't Gascoignes injury a cruciate ?

I can't remeber the player but I am sure someone underwent a "transplant" type thing were a ligament was grafted.

It may be worth checking a few years back because I am sure these were career threatening injuries some years ago ( was it Waddock ? who career was "written off", played in Belgium and when he signed for Millwall they had to pay the Insurers back)

From Wikepedia Re Brian Clough
<<Clough was a prolific striker for his home town club Middlesbrough scoring 204 goals in 222 starts for Boro, he then signed for Sunderland and scored 63 goals in only 74 games. Unfortunately for Clough on 26 December 1962, he injured his knee during a match against Bury after colliding with the goalkeeper. It turned out to be a cruciate ligament injury, which usually ended a player's career at that time. Clough returned two years later but could only manage three games before retiring<<

[b said:

Cheers

Ben
I have done my right knee three times and my left knee once and cant kick a ball in anger now. I think I may have some experience that can assist you.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Usual_Suspect @ Aug. 15 2006,10:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 15 2006,10:26)]Six months out, with some heavy physio...
ACL injury - and he can still pull the fat birds

cool.gif
laugh.gif

One of my mates managed to grab hold of some bint on his graduation night when his leg was in plaster. That's impressive.

smile.gif

Why don't you include a bit about ex Rangers (& Trinidad & Tobago) defender Marvin Andrews? He's had I think 2 serious ACL injuries but instead of having the necessary surgery and recuperating with physio/medical advice, he's used his strong religious beliefs & faith healing powers to play on.

I'm pretty sure one of my housemates in Whistler had an ACL injury a month or two before going out. After taking it easy for a month, he started snowboarding and never had a problem related to that. Twice, however, he managed to get slight recurrences of it from kicking a ball about outside the house with the second ruling him out from any snowboarding fort he rest of the season.

No idea if this helps but I presume that it is different movements that are more likely to cause a recurrence.

Thanks to everyone for replying, its given me a few good ideas, cant believe how many of you have had knee ligament injuries.
Oo.gif

I had forgotten all about the Gazza injury if that was indeed an acl! I thought it was a broken leg- but im probably getting confused with when he did that at Lazio!

His ACL was when he kicked Gary Charles in the FA cup? The same Gary Charles that now has mental problems. Found in his car full of human shi*e and torn up bank notes!

Link 1

I just typed "gascoigne ligament" and got a whole host of articles on it and yesd it was an ACL

Yes, the same Gary Charles...from wikepadia
"Following the end of his playing career Charles struggled with alcoholism. He was twice imprisoned - first for drink driving and soon afterwards for cutting off his electronic tag to go on holiday to the Costa del Sol. He has furthermore been arrested and convicted for assaulting a woman at a taxi rank. [1] after a retrial has been ordered after the jury were unable to reach a verdict. Between the trials Charles was jailed in the for turning up to court drunk.[2] At the later hearing he admitted he had an on-going drink problem.[3]"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Aug. 15 2006,10:53)]I know its deviating from the subject, but hasn't Simon Jones the cricketer got this injury?
I was always a fan of interesting asides in essays. This, and the Marvin Andrews injury would be excellent additions, as would examples of your fellow SZ members/lower division footballers, IMHO.

Back