• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football league suspended until April 4th

Well that postpones it to a point before the anticipated peak. Its impossible to imagine a situation where they start again until the situation is significantly improved verses where we are now let alone worse.

With players contracts ending at the end of June? transfer windows, the need for a summer break, the start of next season, every chance this season wont complete.

Meantime the EFL's focus needs to be on measures to keep clubs going financially - interesting if they comment on this or appear to hope its a problem that will just go away.

See EUFA have suspended all competitions also..

If true, then this is Ron's excuse for not paying up right there. I can't see that HMRC will get their cash if we can't physically play games. What an utter s**tstorm.

This is now officially the worst/most farcical season in our history.

I don’t think we will be the only one.

I think the EFL will need to work with the "government" and Premier League to think about some sort of emergency loan package that clubs can access. Else you are likely right- it could be August before some L1/2 see any income worst case

IF there is an suspension of EFL games until at least 4th April. That means Southend will miss out on two pretty big home games v Bolton and Sunderland. Both, particularly Sunderland would of generated large sums of matchday income. That would be disastrous and possibly fatal...

Ron needs to sink that huge investment into the club sharpish. Although I do worry in the current climate how on earth he will find anyone to borrow from.

As said above, the only answer is an emergency relief fund made available to clubs in need. Not as if the EPL/FA/EFL/Government don't have the resource.

Although obviously this is very concerning. Could it actually be a blessing in disguise?...will it reduce the heat from HMRC/EFL regards non-payment of wages/tax enabling us more time to resolve and reduce/delay/remove any subsequent sanctions they were considering.

Last edited:
If true, then this is Ron's excuse for not paying up right there. I can't see that HMRC will get their cash if we can't physically play games. What an utter s**tstorm.

If you recall Ron's argument with the EFL was cashflow problems caused by an unexpected lack of any home fixtures for a period- the EFL of course raced to say that is no excuse, and the unexpected should have been planned for. Well...let's see what they say now....I suspect they will be extraordinary reluctant to issue penalties now

IF there is an suspension of EFL games until at least 4th April. That means Southend will miss out on two pretty big home games v Bolton and Sunderland. Both, particularly Sunderland would of generated large sums of matchday income. That would be disastrous and possibly fatal...

Ron needs to sink that huge investment into the club sharpish. Although I do worry in the current climate how on earth he will find anyone to borrow from.

As said above, the only answer is an emergency relief fund made available to clubs in need. Not as if the EPL/FA/EFL/Government don't have the resource.

Sunderland game was in doubt either way. Suspect Sunderland would of had Internationals and game would have been moved as it was due to be International Weekend.

This is now officially the worst/most farcical season in our history.

What Ron will be looking at like a hawk is HMRC issuing winding up orders against numerous other clubs for non-payment. They will have no choice but to do so- the question then is what do the authorities and government do about it..

Well that's us going bust

I would expect to see various allowances being made. Tax payments being deferred, HMRC instructed to ease up - all that sort of thing. Additionally the Courts are essentially looking for any excuse not to wind up a company.

This is actually likely to give Ron more time. The good news is that interest rates are dead cheap. The bad news is that the markets are super spooked and it's not a great time to being developing property. We're back to where we were in 2007.

Well that postpones it to a point before the anticipated peak. Its impossible to imagine a situation where they start again until the situation is significantly improved verses where we are now let alone worse.

With players contracts ending at the end of June? transfer windows, the need for a summer break, the start of next season, every chance this season wont complete.

Meantime the EFL's focus needs to be on measures to keep clubs going financially - interesting if they comment on this or appear to hope its a problem that will just go away.

See EUFA have suspended all competitions also..

Yes, I can't imagine the government are too thrilled as this is going completely against their strategy.

Although obviously this is very concerning. Could it actually be a blessing in disguise?...will it reduce the heat from HMRC/EFL regards non-payment of wages/tax enabling us more time to resolve and reduce/delay/remove any subsequent sanctions they were considering.

If the spread of the virus was such that the remainder of the season was cancelled then presumably we would remain in FL1 next season because we have not yet reached the point where we are already relegated. Obviously this logic only holds up if we still have a club to support.?

If the spread of the virus was such that the remainder of the season was cancelled then presumably we would remain in FL1 next season because we have not yet reached the point where we are already relegated. Obviously this logic only holds up if we still have a club to support.?
We are so bad maybe they would make an exception and relegate us anyway.

What Ron will be looking at like a hawk is HMRC issuing winding up orders against numerous other clubs for non-payment. They will have no choice but to do so- the question then is what do the authorities and government do about it..
Yip, Can see as suggested above, a temporary restriction issued on all due payments to HMRC etc and emergency regulations being put in. Otherwise clubs will be going bust left right and centre.

Back