• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i find that for lower leagues, keep creativity to a minimal and have everything as rigid as possible.

If playing with southend i aim for Promotion, Consolidate, Promotion, then maybe 2/3 seasons in the championship then push on. after maybe 10 in game years im usually a settled mid table premiership side and cant start looking towards europe.

Dont bother with players with loads of potential for the first few years unless they are good enough to start with as by the time they reach their potential you will probably not need them.

Thanks for the advice chaps, will give some of that a crack tonight.

Can see that getting started will be the hardest part, getting used to everything, once I've got used to things & got some tactics etc that work set up it'll become a case of tweaking to improve, for now though need to be patient. I'll let you know how I get on (or when I get sacked).

Drastic™;1363320 said:
Thanks for the advice chaps, will give some of that a crack tonight.

Can see that getting started will be the hardest part, getting used to everything, once I've got used to things & got some tactics etc that work set up it'll become a case of tweaking to improve, for now though need to be patient. I'll let you know how I get on (or when I get sacked).

Ha.

The fans hailed me a tactical genius. A week after the board wanted me out.
It's a tough business!

I tend to use 3 formations:

3-4-3 when you have good cds and good strikers

4-4-2 when you have great wingers

4-3-1-2 when you have an excellent amc

get a good spine and then build around that - and check out your team report to find where the weaknesses are.

I don't think I'd find this an easy game to get into if I was picking it up from scratch. It relies on its players to know the highs from previous games and use those as motivation to grind through the learning curve. I play FM12 because I played CM94 and so I've seen the pages and pages grow and the depth of the game intensify to the level it is today.

It would blow my mind starting at FM12.

I tend to use 3 formations:

3-4-3 when you have good cds and good strikers

4-4-2 when you have great wingers

4-3-1-2 when you have an excellent amc

get a good spine and then build around that - and check out your team report to find where the weaknesses are.

Is the 3-4-3 three strikers or one striker and two wide players?

I don't think I'd find this an easy game to get into if I was picking it up from scratch. It relies on its players to know the highs from previous games and use those as motivation to grind through the learning curve. I play FM12 because I played CM94 and so I've seen the pages and pages grow and the depth of the game intensify to the level it is today.

yeah - I played a football sim on the Acorn Electron and then CM2, CM01/02, and on that one I conquered the world with Southend (thanks to Daniele Lori for the goals! Cant believe I still remember his name after 10 years!)

Me too, the problem is I've not played any inbetween. :hilarious:

Welcome to my world. :stunned:

I started with the original Championship manager (install on two 1.44 floppies !!), the past years it has just got harder and harder for the infrequent player,
I can't remember the last time I won a promotion

I believe there is a book coming out in June/July about FM, about the history etc of the game, people addictions, and interviews with some of the games 'stars'

I believe there is a book coming out in June/July about FM, about the history etc of the game, people addictions, and interviews with some of the games 'stars'

Is that the one Slipperduke is involved with? He said on twitter the other day, he'd been approached to work on a book with a couple of other writers called 'Football Manager Stole My Life'.

Now manager of Austria, unbeaten in world cup qualifying; just need to get them on a good run in the world cup and then back to club management.

Update on how I'm doing in my first ever FM2012 game.
Lost my first 4 games before finally picking up a point against Shrewsbury then went to Accrington & won 5-1 :stunned: (4 goals from loanee Dominic Vose) and followed that up with a 2-0 win at home to Morecombe. However Dicko, Corr & Harris are all injured and I had to start with Crawford upfront, 1-1 draw @ Barnet. Then the january window opened and the board in their wisdom would only let me offer to pay 10% of Timlin's wages, he went back to Swindon and I promptly lost 2-0 to Rotherham. Currently 18th, but planning to clear out some of the higher earners (Grant, Johnson, Paterson, Coughlan) so I can get Timlin back and bring in a striker.

Record so far: LLLLDWWDL

Drastic™;1366068 said:
Update on how I'm doing in my first ever FM2012 game.
Lost my first 4 games before finally picking up a point against Shrewsbury then went to Accrington & won 5-1 :stunned: (4 goals from loanee Dominic Vose) and followed that up with a 2-0 win at home to Morecombe. However Dicko, Corr & Harris are all injured and I had to start with Crawford upfront, 1-1 draw @ Barnet. Then the january window opened and the board in their wisdom would only let me offer to pay 10% of Timlin's wages, he went back to Swindon and I promptly lost 2-0 to Rotherham. Currently 18th, but planning to clear out some of the higher earners (Grant, Johnson, Paterson, Coughlan) so I can get Timlin back and bring in a striker.

Record so far: LLLLDWWDL

I assume you know you can have a go at the board and ask for more money? also ask them for a parent club and then depending on what they offer pick the best team, makes for easy and good loans

started again with southend.

bought rui marques, jamil adam, a german left back called wheeler, nacho calvillo and dean bouzanis

mid table, so inconsistent but only 11 games gone.

I assume you know you can have a go at the board and ask for more money? also ask them for a parent club and then depending on what they offer pick the best team, makes for easy and good loans

Yep did both of those last night, waiting for them to come back with potential parent clubs, they told me to go whistle for more money. ****ing Ron.

Drastic™;1366164 said:
Yep did both of those last night, waiting for them to come back with potential parent clubs, they told me to go whistle for more money. ****ing Ron.

Dont get me started on ron... I was about to be promoted to the premiership so i asked for a new stadium. He promptly told me to go forth and multiply. Then because roots hall is 700 seats short of premiership standard he built me 741 new seats. 4 years later nigel brunning bought him out and built the Tilson stadium.

Playing a Vitesse Arnhem game and just finished the 14/15 season. Southend have Tilson back as manager (yay) but just finished 3rd bottom in L2 (boo).
Squad seems to be a revolving door -- only player left is Neil Harris and i just spanked them 13-0 in a pre season friendly....

Once the update comes through ill start a southend save

Back