• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football Manager tales of woe

Since lockdown I've taken up Football Manager pretty heavily. I started a game as Southend when the game came so I could see us win again. Got us promoted in 2020/2021 along with winning the Football League Trophy.
I gave the game a rest for a while because, having got us promoted, life in the second tier was tough. And indeed demotion was confirmed on 9th April 2022. The step up was just too much. However, I briefly got the finances into the black after a youth player went to Newcastle for £2.5 million.

Got 3 games left of my time in the second tier. Just signed a new contract so I hope I'll be in charge to fight a renewed promotion challenge.

UTB

Nearly started the new season. Sold Charlie Kelman to Leicester for £7.5 mill, so I'm actually in a decent financial position. Haven't paid for any signings so all in the bank. Odds now out and I'm 2/1 third favourite for promotion. Hopefully that's about right and I can get up. But got some money in unspent transfer funds if things aren't going right later in the season

With the lack of games (and manager!) we’re all living vicariously through this so hope you can deliver the goods.... no pressure.

With the lack of games (and manager!) we’re all living vicariously through this so hope you can deliver the goods.... no pressure.
Music to my ears! And to the wife's so that I'm not just updating her with how I'm getting on.
In some ways relegation has been the best thing that could have happened to me. It's the 12th August 2022, I have played 5 in all competitions and won 4. I lost 1-0 at home to Ipswich, which annoyed me but they're a big team in the 3rd division.
I have over £15 million in the bank, even after Ron has agreed to expand the stadium and improve the training and youth facilities. I was well in the red last season, in the 2nd tier, so this is positive. In fact, when I got promoted I couldn't even do any scouting because I had no money.

I've signed 14 players (all for free) of which 2 are on loan - 1 is Finley Burns from Man City coz I wanted to get him back to his Roots, and the other is Iestyn Hughes coz his contract is up and I need a second right back. Elvis is my main right back, Martin Kelly my second but he's too slow and I prefer him at centre back.

5 games in Remi Oteh has 6 goals and is the star. Like most of the team he struggled in the 2nd tier after signing in January. But dropping down again to the 3rd could be the making of him, as with many of my other players.

Next game Cheltenham away where I'm 5/4 favourites. This season I've gone for a 442 wing play. I tried a bit of gegenpressing towards the end of last season which went well so I'm pressing like mad and using a mixed passing style and tempo rather than the direct which is the default with the wing play. So far results are positive. I sold my promising left winger Keelan O'Connell after Birmingham activated his release clause. Former Ipswich man Danny Rowe is out for 3 months with a hip problem so I'm making do on the left. All good opportunities for more kids to come in and make me some money down the line.

More updates available if anyone wants any to fill their time

Fair play. I found it pretty difficult in the first season but eventually finished 1 point outside the playoffs. Some poor recruitment on my behalf in the summer lead to the save being abandoned, but I may revisit. Think I was 1 win in 5 at this point :Hilarious:

Cricket is off for rain, so let's have an update.
10th September 2022, I'm 9th in Division 3 (I rename all the divisions so they're proper, none of this League 1 or 2 rubbish.)
It's Qatar world cup, so the fixtures are well weird. Beat Plymouth 3-1 in the league cup, Mansfield 2-0 in the league in July.
August started well with a 3-0 win over Shrewsbury before a 1-0 loss at home to Ipswich. They're a good team, so understandable really. Smashed Orient 3-0 in the league cup, beat Cheltenham 3-0, drew with Burton before penalty heartbreak away to Middlesbrough in the League cup. Drew 2-2 before top scorer Remi Oteh, young striker Russell Miller (86K from Rochdale) and Nathan Bishop (!!) all missed in the shootout. Losing 2-1 to Wycombe annoyed me but we were toilet. Penalty win over Peterborough in the EFL Trophy.

Started September with a 2-2 away to Fleetwood. Should have won but let in two soft goals.

24 year old Remi Oteh top scorer with 9 goals in 10 goals overall, highest average with 7.5 and 3 player of the match awards. Loves to miss a penalty though. Tom Pearce, left back on a free from Wigan, top assister with 4.

Pretty average start to the season. I promised Ron I'd make the play offs, and that's still the aim. Very young, developing team made up of the ususal waifs and strays.
Ron will be happy with the £14.5 million in the bank account. Keeping that in the hope of buying some players if needed later down the line. Next priority is upgrading the youth academy coz bigger clubs keep poaching my young players. Nice new addition to the game, even though it's working against me.

yet more rain, so a quick update.
September was a pretty good month for me and I'm up to 4th.
drew 2-2 with Fleetwood, beat Portsmouth 2-1, lost 1-0 to Bristol Rovers before my form turned. I beat Bradford 1-0, Cardiff 2-1 and Peterborough 6-1. Pretty happy with that last one.

Remi Oteh as usual the man, with 6 goals in the month. Humphrys with 2.
Matt Penny getting fit has made a difference as he's now playing left wing, replacing youngster Bobby Unwin who can now be eased into the team instead of having to start all the time.
The Peterborough win saw first goals for the club for Finley Burns (loan from Man City), Catalin Cirjan (free from Arsenal) and Folarin Balogun (loan from Arsenal, hoping to get him properly at the end of his contract in the summer).
Youth facilities improved, need to keep that up to stop the big clubs running off with all my best youngsters!!

Onwards, UTB

It's the last day of my summer holiday today. The test match has been rained off, and just finished lunch in the Essex game.

October 2022 has been a great month for me. Firstly I went top, then Ron agreed to raise the academy to Category 1. Not bad for a 3rd Division team.
On the pitch I went unbeaten, 6 wins and a very frustrating draw with Rotherham. Most recent game was a 1-0 over Sunderland where Oteh missed a sitter after being set up by the Hump, before the Hump won it in the 94th minute.

I end the month 2nd, a point behind Ipswich.

Goals from
Stephen Humphrys (4)
Tom Hopper (3)
Folarin Balogun
Russell Miller
Remi Oteh
Kyle Bartley
Ethan Hamilton
Catalin Cirjan

Only conceded goals in the 1-1 with Rotherham and the 2-1 win over Accrington.

I'm back at work tomorrow so won't be able to sit here all day playing Football Manager and watching cricket, sadly!

Back