• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
If you've been keeping an eye on the cricket recently then you'll have noticed some interesting experiments taking place in the West Indies. No, don't worry, England are still reassuringly hopeless, they'll never toy with that. It's the officials who are changing; test-piloting a new system of 'referrals' in an effort to remove serious mistakes from the sport.

Each team gets two referrals per innings, two chances to say to the umpires, "I think you've got that wrong, old boy. Would you mind awfully checking the replays?" If the appealing player is correct, the decision is reversed. If it's incorrect, they lose a referral and, once they're out of referrals, they have to take the word of umpire for every decision. As mixed as the results and reactions have been so far, the ICC are likely to make sure that it's a part of the future of cricket. It might just be the way forward for football as well.

The long held objection to video technology in our sport has always been that there are no convenient gaps for the replays. Cricket is a stop-start game and, unless the whistle-happy Mike Riley is in charge, football is not. When do you use the technology anyway? On every call? On every goal? Every time the ball is in the final third? It's awkward to say the least. A referral system could solve that at a stroke.

Imagine giving football managers some way to signal their discontent. A little flag, or a small air-horn. Perhaps some Bastille Day fireworks for Arsene Wenger or 50 fez-wearing winged monkeys for Sir Alex Ferguson. You know, something subtle. At the first sign of an iffy decision, bang! The referee halts the match and everyone turns to the replays.

Cricket is a long game with innings that take days to play out, or just a couple of hours if it's England. Football has no need for two referrals. Just one would suffice. All the technology is in place already. There isn't an incident that takes place without throwing up eight different camera angles, global satellite positioning and an infrared body scan of the perpetrators. It's about time the fourth official was given something more constructive to do other than just absorbing the abuse of the coaching staff and occasionally holding up that magic number board. That said, it might be a good idea to hide them in a bunker to prevent managers leaning over the screen and jabbing it with their greasy fingers, shouting, "Loooooook! His foot! Gargh! Oh, the injustice," and so on and so forth.

A sole referral would be a chance to reverse that one decision that ruins the game. Rob Styles and his non-existent penalties. Mike Riley and his own contributions to the Gerrard/Lampard debate. One's allowed to tackle and one isn't? Not any more, Mikey! Poor old Luiz Felipe Scolari would still be in a job if that one had been reversed.

There is now so much money swilling around football and so much pressure on individuals that there's too much at stake for one man. It's also, as we've seen in Germany, only a matter of time until bribery or corruption begins to permeate the ranks of the officials. I've never wanted football to be anchored down with endless video replays, but if there's a way to put in a safeguard without affecting the flow of the game too drastically, it's long past time that we made use of it.

hear hear! i think it would work really well, unfortunately it would probably only cover the Prem. There are plenty of terrible decisions being made in all the leagues, that cost managers or players their jobs, or the club millions. If they don't have the video technology then there should still be more teamwork by the officials to make sure that a rash decision without discussing it is not made

I think Rugby is a good case in point here. Watching it at the weekend, you saw the referees NEVER get a decision wrong (maybe the laws of Rugby are just better defined or the players fairer?), TV support to help them out which barely took 30 seconds to do and the players never swearing or giving abuse out.

I wonder even if the 4th official could be watching footage whilst the game is allowed to continue as normal and then, IF they've spotted something the referee missed or feel his decision was wrong, then its corrected within a few seconds.

It'd sure irradicate diving if you got yellow carded for it...

I have always been against video evidence overturning refereeing decisions , primarily for the reason slip gave, its a non stop game and changing a decision made , say , two minutes of play earlier could create all sorts of problems. However giving each manager one opportunity per game to stop play to dispute a decision would , in my mind , work.

However , it would need to be carefully monitored, the game would have to be stopped as soon as the "appeal" went in, otherwise the next break in play could be for a goal which then may have to be disallowed if the "appeal" is upheld. Which does leave a problem in my mind. There are no contentious decisions in the game and its now the 89th minute , there is a challenge in the midfield which may or may not be a foul but the ball breaks and someone is clear on goal with a chance to win the game. At this point the defending teams manager could thrown in his appeal just to stop the game and prevent the goal.

if the decision is made to wait for a break in play it could be ages before the ball goes out and in intances of a late appeal you may not get play stopping until the final whistle is blown

Perhaps if it was limited to incidents in the penalty area or red card awards it may well stop misuse

That's an excellent point actually. I hadn't even considered the fact that a manager might use it in an innocuous build-up foul. You just know that Allardyce would have that up his sleeve.

I think Rugby is a good case in point here. Watching it at the weekend, you saw the referees NEVER get a decision wrong (maybe the laws of Rugby are just better defined or the players fairer?), TV support to help them out which barely took 30 seconds to do and the players never swearing or giving abuse out.

I wonder even if the 4th official could be watching footage whilst the game is allowed to continue as normal and then, IF they've spotted something the referee missed or feel his decision was wrong, then its corrected within a few seconds.

Rugby is a good case, point, however, a lot of this is down to the respect the players have for the ref. Also, the fact that the is it/isnt it a try issue does not affect the flow of the play, since whether it was a try or not, the ball is considered dead, and the game stops anyway, where as with football, if the ball may/may not have gone over the line, its not really fair to stop the play if the defending team has since cleared the ball, and is now one on one down the other end of the field.

The respect the players have for the ref in Rugby is great, you get massive forwards, 6ft 5" built like brick ****houses, and they don't dare backchat the refs.

The points Firestorm & Dave make are excellent ones, and i think if video replay's came into football they should ONLY be used to determine red cards, penalties and if the ball crossed the goalline.

One thing from rugby which i could see working in football is the sin-bin. If was used only for punishing diving & verbal abuse towards the ref. Would cut alot of that behaviour out.

Another excellent read Slipper.

To be honest, I'd only like to see video replays used on whether the ball has crossed the line for a goal or not.

Human error is part of football, be it from managers, players or officials, and one of the things that make football so great is the amount of debate that comes from it. SZ would be a boring place to be if the ref got everything right due to video replays.

I tend to think over the course of the season, luck with penalties, red cards, awarding throw-ins the wrong way and corners or goalkicks equals out over the course of the season. Its always nice to be able to blame the officials for your teams own short comings.

The respect the players have for the ref in Rugby is great, you get massive forwards, 6ft 5" built like brick ****houses, and they don't dare backchat the refs.

The points Firestorm & Dave make are excellent ones, and i think if video replay's came into football they should ONLY be used to determine red cards, penalties and if the ball crossed the goalline.

One thing from rugby which i could see working in football is the sin-bin. If was used only for punishing diving & verbal abuse towards the ref. Would cut alot of that behaviour out.

I've always thought that replay's should only be used for line decisions, as is pretty much the case in rugby & cricket.

While I don't want things to become too complicated, but some refs are trigger happy in issuing cards, therefore an intermediate card or a sin bin may be an answer. The major problem in football is that cheating is endemic, and I doubt if bringing in a sin bin would cut down on cheating but it may just help.

Back