• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
)Just in the process of doing a mortgage for an Italian bloke at the moment. Mad Inter fan. Anyway was talking about football and I was demostrating my complete lack of interest in Italian football when a good point cropped up.

He said he is annoyed as he has to work on a Saturday and doesn't get a chance to see his local team Fulham (Some might say this is a good thing
blush.gif
) as in Italy most games are on a Sunday.

Anyway it got me thinking. What if Southend played most games on a sunday?

Personally I can see a plus side that Sunday is a really boring day. If I had my saturdays free I could do a few more jobs that I struggle to do as I have football every sat such as opticians or barbers etc. I could also watch a few of my mates who play on a saturday which I always enjoy.

For the club I can see benefits. We must have lots of people who either work saturdays or maybe play locally who cant make games. Not that I am sure its a real good thing but there must be loads of closet yids, w%&k hammers who might come along too and a 2nd team etc.

Finally for all you that come in via the roads and rail in may be a bit easier transport wise.

Personally I love Saturdays but I am just playing devils advocate.

DtS  
glare.gif

A big NO to Sunday football, you can't really get that battered due to work the next day...

That's enough reason for me to dislike it.

All the people who play for SZFC would struggle to make games...

I make ci-city blue right. Friday night football is the way foward. And if you fancy a pint tomorrow mate let me know

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Sep. 08 2006,11:35)]All the people who play for SZFC would struggle to make games...
To be fair, we'd probably play in a Saturday league instead.

oops.gif

Trains are rubbish on a Sunday so away games would be a nightmare for me. I think I prefer it on a Saturday cos you still have the rest of the weekend to moan about it on here.

unclesam.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Sep. 08 2006,10:08)]Personally, I prefer Friday nights.  Still the way forward...
Friday night games are not the way forward but the end of the line for those of us who work or live outside the area. I work in London and my son lives in Elstree and works in Hatfield. We have both been season ticket holders in the West Stand since seats were installed there and I had a ticket in the East Stand before that.

We both have trouble getting to games on Friday evenings and if there were any more of them it wouldn't be worth renewing our tickets.

Saturday afternoon is the traditional time for football in England and lets keep it that way.

Saturday afternoons are best for footie, Sundays would just be an inconvenience - if I'm not working I just want to laze around and rest.

Has to be saturday, i been going to the hall every other sat for about twenty two years now and just to take this last international break for example the fact that i was not walking up vic ave at about one forty five does my nut in, what else am i meant to do, my son feels the same as well. Also it tradition to have football on saturday a tradition i love

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 08 2006,10:01)]Finally for all you that come in via the roads and rail in may be a bit easier transport wise.
Are you having a giraffe?

Travelling on Sundays on public transport is a 'mare. Away games would be twice as difficult as we'd have to negotiate all the bus replacement routes and Sunday service timetables and Prittlewell doesn't even open on a Sunday!

If I was to change to a non-traditional time, my choice would be Saturday night.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 08 2006,11:38)]Spanish football is played (for the most part) on Sunday; people still "get battered" on booze ...
Michael

I thought getting battered was an English trait and that the Spaniards, being that much more civilised in their behaviour, didn't resort to such yobbish behaviour?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 08 2006,13:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 08 2006,11:38)]Spanish football is played (for the most part) on Sunday; people still "get battered" on booze ...
Michael

I thought getting battered was an English trait and that the Spaniards, being that much more civilised in their behaviour, didn't resort to such yobbish behaviour?
rock.gif
I do find it slightly amusing given that the Spanish and Italians are supposed to be religious and Sunday being a holy day.

[b said:
[b said:
Michael

rock.gif
They prefer bull fighting
rock.gif

--------------------------------

I like Friday games a lot, but this would mean less away fans and probably slightly less home fans.

It depends when the kick off was. I live in Watford and play Sunday league in the mornings so getting to the Hall for 3pm would be tough. 4pm would be OK, though.

I'd be happy with a mix of Saturdays., Midweekers and the classic Friday night under the Floodlights.. the Birmingham game at the Hall will be magnificent!..A whole Xmassy half day on the **** at work, the drunken train to Southend, even more booze then er well.. more booze..
Saturday night is a great concept as well

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blueeyedboy @ Sep. 08 2006,15:00)]
[b said:
[b said:
Michael

rock.gif
I do find it slightly amusing given that the Spanish and Italians are supposed to be religious and Sunday being a holy day.
Incorrect (ish). Sunday is a FAMILY day in Spain. As a unit, families go to church in the morning, then gather for an enormous lunch which last much of the afternoon. They'll probably go to football en masse (remember that most people work on Saturday here in Spain so football has always been a Sunday game) before setting out on the "paseo" in the evening where everyone in town dresses up in their best and "promenade" in centre of town like strutting peacocks. There's plenty of booze and food so it's a bit of a tradition to take Monday off to compensate!!
laugh.gif

With regards to drinking at football, most Spaniards drink spirits in plastic glasses (nrmally brandy or ponche) and can get very boisterous by the beginning of the second-half. My favourite expression at the moment is "imbecil de mierda"; I leave you to work out its meaning!

As for SUFC: I always likes Friday night football when we were in the Third / Fourth Division but I think Saturday is definitely the right time for the vast majority of people now that interest in the club has grown. Although the growth of the Premiership means that Saturday football is less traditional (I'll see sorry for the likes of ManUre and Liverpool fans who can't make long-term plans!) it's still the day of football in England.

Back