• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
Seeing that the old chestnut of 'Your first ever Southend match' has turned up again, I thought that I'd try a thread that I can't remember seeing before (though I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone).
Listening to the BP interviews with Martin,Timlin and Sampson, I'm sure that they will each bring footballing qualities to the side and that is indeed the reason they are here, however their oratorial skills wouldn't appear to be their strongest points. So, the question is, who in the present and past squads have been our most articulate players even if they may not have matched this with their footballing skills? Have there been players that have had both?

Chrissy Powell always spoke very well, as did Andy Harris

Tes Bramble was thicker than 2 short planks

I am pretty sure Tes had learning difficulties hence his less than perfect oratory abilities.

I would assume those players who have played for Southend recently who had degrees must have been able to string a sentence together. However, I never heard either interviewed: Phil Whelan and Julian Hails.

He certainly comes across very well now but was very quiet when he was with us

He was probably worried that us Essex folk wouldn't understand his Brummy talk! Or maybe just just a shy and retiring lad... actually I think that is part of Stan's personality. A complex character (meant as a compliment).

colin murphy thought hewas quite the wordsworth shame he was a dire manager (bringing stan in aside)

Corrected.

Adrian Clarke was (and still is) very articulate. Someone should dig out that thread where Slipper asked him all those questions on behalf of SZ. He gave some top answers.

I don't know about interviews but Kevin Betsy was called the 'Oracle' by the other players wasn't he? and he had a love of poetry too I believe. :Naps:

Adrian Clarke is a journo now, records podcasts with Slipperduke and commentates on BBC Essex.

Craig Easton is on a journalism course I believe, and is now on twitter @craig8easton and also writes a blog.

Having just listened to the 'Bisto' boy, Anto Flood (OK he's not officially one of ours yet). This leads me to pose the question, in players or managers, as to who, apart from Luggy (from time to time), has been the most unintelligible person to be involved with the club?

Back