• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football quotations

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
What's your favourite?
Mine would have to be: "All that I know most surely about morality and obligations,I owe to football" by Abert Camus.That's always rung a bell with me as it would,I imagine, with anyone else who's ever played fooball.

Always had a soft spot too for Bill Shankley's :"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." (which, curiously, hasn't surfaced yet in the 500 or so pages I've read of David Peace's Red or Dead).

What's your favourite?
Mine would have to be: "All that I know most surely about morality and obligations,I owe to football" by Abert Camus.That's always rung a bell with me as it would,I imagine, with anyone else who's ever played fooball.

Always had a soft spot too for Bill Shankley's :"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." (which, curiously, hasn't surfaced yet in the 500 or so pages I've read of David Peace's Red or Dead).

Two great quotes.

On Albert Camus' morality and obligations: I've always felt that, when interviewing a job applicant, beyond any specific technical skills and experience that might be required, if you could just anonymously observe an individual playing sport, you'd pick up far more insight than you'd get in any interview.

Passion, desire, drive, honesty, commitment, competitiveness, assertiveness (versus aggressiveness or submissiveness), leadership, thought processes, problem solving ability, 'bouncebackability', ability to work in a team, ability to cope with pressure, personal barometer for taking risks, level of respect for authority and the competition - it'll all be there on display when a person steps into competition.

"Just ****ing run abaaht a bit"

Tactical genius Harry Redknapp's instructions to Roman Pavlyuchenko, when the Russian asked him what role he wanted him to play when being brought on as a substitute.

"When it's too tough for them its just right for us"

Marv Levy - Buffalo Bills.

Back