• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football transfer to change?

chapperzUK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25418135

Legal challenge has been made to end transfer fees. This means that contracts will literally be worthless and in theory and player can say "I'm off now", pay up his contract (or have his future club do that) and leave.

I'm failing to see the point in this and think it would be awful. Lower clubs will not be able to hang on to any decent players if they can easily leave.

They say the only people who benefit from the current system are the agents and rich clubs, but they will also be the ones that benefit from the new system too. Making it easier to transfer will mean agents can push the transfer through quicker. The poor clubs who rely on transfer fees to survive will die with the rich clubs picking their best players on a small fee.

Getting rid of the agents would be good but not the transfer fees, they are the life blood of some clubs, perhaps all transfers should be handled by the football association or the PFA, or a panel setup by both of them, therefore ridding the league of players agents,that way transfer fees will become more realistic and with that players wages.They all become more realistic then perhaps the cost of admission to matches will also.

They say this is supporting players, as they don't have the same freedom of movement rights that you or I have in our jobs. If that is the case, it really does show a lack of intelligence on the World Players Union behalf. Lower league clubs won't be able to survive if players can just up and leave giving just a months notice every time they do, the inability to retain players or receive transfer fee's will kill clubs. They will have no identity losing players at the drop of a hat, fan retention will become more difficult when you can't keep high performing players from leaving, and the loss of transfer income alongside this will be the death knoll for clubs.

If this is the case, then the pool of clubs a player can be employed with, will be reduced, drastically in my opinion. Clubs are struggling to survive and make ends meet as it is. This will result in two things happening, players not being able to find an employer due to the reduced number of clubs, and therefore having to embark on another career path. Secondly, with clubs in shorter demand, it will start to empower those in business (the larger more successful clubs), they will be able to offer reduced wages, knowing that players have less opportunity to find work elsewhere. I really think players will be cutting their noses off despite their faces if they support this action. Where's the benefit of being able to walk out on your current club, if there is a reduced pool of clubs to sign for? More players will be competing for a smaller pool of jobs.

I honestly fear for lower league football if this is pushed through. Removing the transfer window would be a more sensible option, removing the restriction on when a player can join a new employer; and if they are insistent on this 'right to move' programme, then at least continue transfers fees through tribunal's as suggested by Buffalowolf. After all, less clubs means a reduced income for the FA as well.

I guess it depends whether players are treated as straight up employees or assets

They say this is supporting players, as they don't have the same freedom of movement rights that you or I have in our jobs. If that is the case, it really does show a lack of intelligence on the World Players Union behalf. Lower league clubs won't be able to survive if players can just up and leave giving just a months notice every time they do, the inability to retain players or receive transfer fee's will kill clubs. They will have no identity losing players at the drop of a hat, fan retention will become more difficult when you can't keep high performing players from leaving, and the loss of transfer income alongside this will be the death knoll for clubs.

If this is the case, then the pool of clubs a player can be employed with, will be reduced, drastically in my opinion. Clubs are struggling to survive and make ends meet as it is. This will result in two things happening, players not being able to find an employer due to the reduced number of clubs, and therefore having to embark on another career path. Secondly, with clubs in shorter demand, it will start to empower those in business (the larger more successful clubs), they will be able to offer reduced wages, knowing that players have less opportunity to find work elsewhere. I really think players will be cutting their noses off despite their faces if they support this action. Where's the benefit of being able to walk out on your current club, if there is a reduced pool of clubs to sign for? More players will be competing for a smaller pool of jobs.

I honestly fear for lower league football if this is pushed through. Removing the transfer window would be a more sensible option, removing the restriction on when a player can join a new employer; and if they are insistent on this 'right to move' programme, then at least continue transfers fees through tribunal's as suggested by Buffalowolf. After all, less clubs means a reduced income for the FA as well.

You need to remember that lower league professional football is mainly a British thing.

It may be a British thing ,but its a good British thing and should be kept,seriously how many of you who support SUFC would support another club should this be bought in and SUFC were one of those clubs forced into extinction,i would guess less that 10%, i know i wouldnt.And how many for all the other small clubs forced into extinction, i could envisage a supporter rebellion with supporters from all the small clubs banding together and causing havoc outside the offices of the PFA and the league offices.

It may be a British thing ,but its a good British thing and should be kept,seriously how many of you who support SUFC would support another club should this be bought in and SUFC were one of those clubs forced into extinction,i would guess less that 10%, i know i wouldnt.And how many for all the other small clubs forced into extinction, i could envisage a supporter rebellion with supporters from all the small clubs banding together and causing havoc outside the offices of the PFA and the league offices.

Why would it force us into extinction ?

We dont survive because of transfer fees.

As for supporters banding together do you really thinkg the Premier League actually care if League Two disappeared ?

If transfer fees were abolished then the bigger clubs would be in serious trouble, imagine what their balance sheets would suddenly look like when 250 million pounds of assetts suddenly disappeared!

Back