• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

does seem slightly odd that Brighton aren't one of the clubs supporting it...but I agree, every team should back this as much as anti-racism.

I don't think you'll ever kick this out of football and i fully understand why players do not come out gay as a player. Fans already abuse the players, let alone giving them ammunition!

I don't think you'll ever kick this out of football and i fully understand why players do not come out gay as a player. Fans already abuse the players, let alone giving them ammunition!

If you go back 25 years you could say the same thing about racism which, on the whole, nowadays is pretty unthinkable.

Yes we should be backing it.

Last edited:
Will SZ sign up to it? Every time Spartan turns up or we play Brighton the 'banter' is like being back at school.

Live and let live is my motto,Well done to every club supporting this.

Bigots are sad.

Live and let live is my motto,Well done to every club supporting this.

Bigots are sad.

Indeed. Anyone who feels the need to deride some because of their colour, religion, sexual preference, nationality etc is actually the one with the problem.

Agreed, should be supported just the same as the anti racism campaign.

I agree with Lenny though, I can't ever see an active player ever coming out. Fans can chant some terrible things at players when, as far as they're aware, are straight!

Indeed. Anyone who feels the need to deride some because of their colour, religion, sexual preference, nationality etc is actually the one with the problem.

Quite agree, but you must be totally inclusive i.e. also hair colour, size and disability should have been mentioned.

I can remember chanting "Elton John is a homosexual"
making monkey noises to black players.
Asking girls selling programmes to "get your bits out for the boys" or something like that.
I don't feel too proud of it now. But it happened and at the time was considered fair game.
As is now calling goal keepers with a bit of extra weight "you fat B****D'.
And questioning the referee about his parentage at any given percieved bad decision.

Are those things ok? Not really but we still do it.
I guess in a few years these will seem very extreme and be banned.
We are so PC now.

Will SZ sign up to it? Every time Spartan turns up or we play Brighton the 'banter' is like being back at school.

Agreed.

Will only be able to judge the impact of this kind of campaign when there are some gays on the pitch.....those that have come out of course.

Not really, we can also judge it from the posts on here. I'm not sure a decade ago this campaign would have had such a positive response as has been on this thread so far. That's encouraging progress. If there are a few less posts of mindless bigotry that can only be a good thing.

I can remember chanting "Elton John is a homosexual"
making monkey noises to black players.
Asking girls selling programmes to "get your bits out for the boys" or something like that.
I don't feel too proud of it now. But it happened and at the time was considered fair game.
As is now calling goal keepers with a bit of extra weight "you fat B****D'.
And questioning the referee about his parentage at any given percieved bad decision.

Are those things ok? Not really but we still do it.
I guess in a few years these will seem very extreme and be banned.
We are so PC now.
????
Are you kidding?
I have heard Strakes being called a monkey at Daggers by some Southend "fans" and the ref being called gay in an unpleasant way in more than just that game. The fight against bigots is far from finished and isn't funny and those (including on here) that thinks it is a joking matter are giving bigots tacit approval.

As a gay person and long-time supporter of the club I'm really encouraged by the comments made here. Never thought it would ever happen in my life-time. Thank you.

Back