• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Given there is not much football news.....

I saw Miguel Lliera on holiday in Malaga a couple of years ago. Sadly he did not wear the head gear round the pool.

On his final day he totally muffed up a simple reverse round a corner and he hit a plant pot in the hotel breaking it. He got out had a look and drove off. Wore his Sheff Wed freebie gear all day long by the pool and a big straw hat every night.

Anyone else/

Peter Taylor. Spent a night talking to him about his time as SUFC manager. That was a very interesting evening.

Alan Shearer at Biizard beach in Florida a few days after Brazil had beaten England at Wembley so got a first hand match report. Then a few days latter in a restaurant Chris Woods the former Everton keeper who seemed ok.
Also saw Perry Groves in Malta as he was staying at the same hotel as us but as he had played for Col U I could not bring myself to speak to him.
I no longer go away in June which for obvious reasons is the preferred month for footballers.

In Marbella around this time in 2012 I saw Rob Green and Robbie Savage. Robbie Savage was staying in our hotel and was actually a great lad, happy to talk to everyone etc. and seemed like a nice guy.

In 1974 I won a competition in The Sunday People (as it was then) for a weeks holiday in May, in Cala Millor at the Hotel Castell Del Mar. There 20 kids in each year group, from ages 11 - 16 from all over the UK, each of us paring up with an orphan from Dr Barnodo's.

Over the first weekend Derby County were there for an end of season break. Miserable b*****ds. No mixing and only saw them occasionally around the pool.

When they left...Brighton arrived for the rest of the week,Clough and Taylor to boot. What a great time we had. They played 2 friendly matches. Always in the pool and playing water polo with us all and in the evening when we had games and films they were all there. I got dangled by my ankles by Brian Clough and had a real good time. That was because I only knew one Brighton player at the time, Ken Beamish, and I'd read in the paper that he had fallen out with Clough big time, I'd asked him why he didn't like Ken Beamish any more and if he didn't like him then could he make him sign for Southend!! told me I was a cheeky southerner and I ought to be a reporter when I grew up. Then bought me a coke and an ice cream. (It was in a crowded room with other adults present and I don't remember him talking about any puppies, so it seemed OK to accept them).

Even now when the East Midlands derby takes place and I look for the result, Hate Derby Love Forest for a moment.

Also my Nan used to have a caravan at Coopers Beach in Mersea Island and we used to go there every summer when I was younger, and Tony Adams had a caravan a few down and always used to see him - he was the first autograph I got.

(I'm not Freddy Eastwood, before anyone asks).

Footballers like Spain. Spent chunk of the day and went for a meal and drink with Steve Mc Gavin who after his career in soccer ended was working there, Great bloke although I remembered the blighter for scoring against us for Col Ewe rather than his feats for us!!

(Also Joe Royle staying in same Hotel )

Saw Peter Schmeichel and Mark Hughes with their families at an Algarve water park in 1994. So strictly speaking I saw three footballers as I'm sure Kasper would have been one of the little blondies Schmeichel had in tow.

On the same holiday, David Webb was on the table next to us at a restaurant. Also with family, so I guess I saw Danny Webb too...

Saw Peter Schmeichel and Mark Hughes with their families at an Algarve water park in 1994. So strictly speaking I saw three footballers as I'm sure Kasper would have been one of the little blondies Schmeichel had in tow.

On the same holiday, David Webb was on the table next to us at a restaurant. Also with family, so I guess I saw Danny Webb too...

Bit sad if he's still going on holiday with his parents at that age! :happy:

Met a few, Luis Figo and Rui Costa sitting in a marina cafe. Both were happy to pose for pics. Other mentions for Gary Mabbutt, Gary Pallister and Denis Law (Not all together).

Oh forgot Tim Sherwood as well at the airport in Barbados, he actually came over to me as he thought he knew me!

Saw George Graham in the gents at Gibraltar airport in 2013. I was changing my shirt so he probably saw my nipples. Hope he didn't look for too long.

Archie Gemmell back in the late 70s, staying at the Los Gigantes hotel in Tenerife, same as we were. Nice bloke, went for a long run every morning before it got too hot.

Shared an Easyjet flight with Alan Curbishley.....

My mother spent a flight to Mexico with Stan Colleymore. She didn't know he was! It was only when some asked about the season he had just had with Southend did my step father cotton on.

Shared an Easyjet flight with Alan Curbishley.....

Me too! Met Steve Archibald in the Seychelles when he was playing for Barcelona. We were staying in the same hotel and shared a cab back from a restaurant on the other side of the island. Seemed a really nice fella and promised to come to my wedding the following day 'to throw some rice over yooo', alas my huge wine intake that evening took over and I repeatedly mentioned the rumours that El Tel was about to sell him.....needless to say he was a no-show! :blush:

In 1980 I went to Euros in Italy. After England got knocked out Dave Watson, the England centre back, turned up at the hotel I was staying at in Rome. Said hello to him but that was pretty much it.

Met Dean Austin in Tenerife, I had been on the lagers all day, don't think he was impressed when I told him he should never have left Southend,

I also met Bobby Robson, and Gazza - in 1990, during the World Cup in Italy, I even got a photo done with Gazza, but it didn't come out - no digital cameras back then..

...also so stayed in the same hotel as Trevor Brooking and Alex Ferguson, after being taken to the Italy v England game in 97, on a corporate jolly up. It kicked off big time with the Po-lice, fortunately I stayed out of trouble. Ferguson always actually a really nice bloke, as was Trev, managed to speak to them for about 20 mins, again I was rat @rsed - ha ha !!

got me thinking, I recall being in a pub in London, and a girl I knew at the time was in the pub with John Barnes, got chatting - managed to get Barnes to buy me 3 or 4 beers, and we actually talked about Southend, as he was a good friend of Julian Hails...

Back