• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Footballs in the garden

I’m just glad kids are being kids rather than being stuck on computer games or social media. I hated being indoors when I was a kid, seems to me almost a complete reversal now.

If I was in the same position I’d either have a polite word with the parents or speak nicely to the kids when you see them (or better still both of them together). Flip back 45 years ago and that would have been me. Nervous to go and ring the bell and thankful when the ball came back over (but if I was in the garden at the time I would shout a thank you if the ball came back over)

I’m just glad kids are being kids rather than being stuck on computer games or social media. I hated being indoors when I was a kid, seems to me almost a complete reversal now.

If I was in the same position I’d either have a polite word with the parents or speak nicely to the kids when you see them (or better still both of them together). Flip back 45 years ago and that would have been me. Nervous to go and ring the bell and thankful when the ball came back over (but if I was in the garden at the time I would shout a thank you if the ball came back over)
Totally. Like I said, they're really active kids, I'd just like someone to say "thank you" every now and then, especially the kids who are doing it.

Didn't being nervous about it make you try and be a bit more careful, and also really apologetic when you had to face the neighbour though? That's what I remember.

Totally. Like I said, they're really active kids, I'd just like someone to say "thank you" every now and then, especially the kids who are doing it.

Didn't being nervous about it make you try and be a bit more careful, and also really apologetic when you had to face the neighbour though? That's what I remember.
To be honest I was awful at this as a kid but being impatient and only having one ball, I’d climb over the fence and get it back myself sometimes. In fairness my neighbour didn’t actually mind me doing that.. saved them a job I guess!

To be honest I was awful at this as a kid but being impatient and only having one ball, I’d climb over the fence and get it back myself sometimes. In fairness my neighbour didn’t actually mind me doing that.. saved them a job I guess!

I remember when I was younger my neighbour started telling me to just use the side gate as I kicked it over so much and not to disturb him. One day it had been a while since I'd kicked it over so knocked as they had company in the garden. He told me off for knocking!

Definitely apologetic. Careful? Not a bit of it. I based myself on Chris Guthrie and Stuart Parker. By the time Derrick Parker came along I’d have been playing over at Belfairs Park.

When we were kids we regularly played cricket in a long alley way. At the end of the alley way lived a right miserable bar steward. Hitting his fence with the ball hitting the ground on the way was four runs, hitting it without the ball bouncing was six runs, hitting the fence and breaking a bit of it was eight runs, hitting it over the fence meant you lost a wicket, retrieving the ball without the old sod noticing was ten runs, getting caught by him whilst retrieving the ball and so having it confiscated was just funny. We had a lot of laughs. Sweet memories.

I disagree - my son is never going to win the World Cup playing football in the park with a bunch of losers but he can experience it on his PS4.

I remember when I was young and playing footy in the garden and the ball going over next door. The old man and lady told me just go and get it every time rather than knocking but when I did that they used to shout at me and when I knocked they shouted at me. Couldn't win either way and it only ever used to happen every once in a while.

Back