• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wessex

First XI
Just thought I'd start a thread about general footy apathy.

I've not been to see Southend so far this season, I've cancelled my Bluesworld account and have generally become detached and apathetic about footy this season.

I don't seem to have the time or inclination to pay that much interest at the moment. I'm going to go to the FA cup game at Oxford but for the first time in years I'm not overley excited by the prospect of going to see the super Shrimpers.............................

What is wrong with me and does anyone else go through periods like this where they generally lose a bit of interest?

SHOCKING! Seek psychological help!... If I wouldn't have my Shrimpers or my Shrimperzone I'd be going mad with a penknife or something.

I've not been to see Southend so far this season, I've cancelled my Bluesworld account and have generally become detached and apathetic about footy this season.

I don't seem to have the time or inclination to pay that much interest at the moment. I'm going to go to the FA cup game at Oxford but for the first time in years I'm not overley excited by the prospect of going to see the super Shrimpers.............................

What is wrong with me and does anyone else go through periods like this where they generally lose a bit of interest?
You must be a gayer, go and listen to some metal or something.

In fairness I had a spell when playing became more important that watching. I had playing to a good standard in a side that was winning often and watching became a secondary role really. I still went to mid weekers but Saturdays I was playing week in week out.

Sadly I got injured and that ended it all but the nice thing about football is that is still there if you want it.

I am sure a good game or two and your feelings will all come back.

There is no other team in the UNIVERSE that can make me yell with anger, scream with pleasure, laugh and generally make me feel a mixture of suicidal and joyous all in one, not even our national team (when they decide to turn up).

Southend & MK Shrimper, married for life, 'til death we do part.... and then I'm haunting Fossets Farm :)

Let me guess Wessex You are 45-50 and have been following Southend for 30 + years

Close I'm 40 and been following for 30 years. Spend the weekends ferrying the kids around and rarely get back home to Essex. On top of that work's been effing awful for the last 6 months so never have any spare time hence my general absence from the board recently.

From time to time I get that. I think it might be that I spend so little time with anyone who is a Southend and that going back for matches is such a burden rather than a twenty minute trip.

When I had a season ticket I'm pretty sure I never felt that apathy though.

Yes there is something wrong with you, you need help

My passion for Southend has certainly changed over the years. It used to be everything to me, my life was planned around the fixture list and a fair amount of spare waking hours were dedicated to thinking about the club.

As life became more grown-up my priorities shifted. I began to miss away games, then sometimes a holiday or social engagement would mean that some home games were missed. I went from spending games in a state of nervous energy totally focused on the action whilst making as much noise as possible to sitting back and relaxing whilst joking with mates. Whilst I still of course want us to win and go mental when we score it's not the be all and everything to me, it's now as much about the social aspect of chilling out and spending time with mates.

A lot of that is I'm sure the same for many people as they get older, I certainly feel my relationship with the club is healthier now. However I wouldn't swap those days of hardcore supporting for anything. I still have a number of good mates from those days and fond memories of mates who are sadly no longer with us.

When I am living on the other side of the world as next season kicks off I will have a real pang of homesickness. For the first time in years I won't have a season ticket and I won't be taking my place at the majority of home games alongside those mates. However that isn't because of any apathy with football or falling out of love with Southend United in any way. It just means that now my family is the most important thing in my life and I will be doing what I feel is best for them. I will remain however a Shrimper for life, glued to the internet for my fix - instead of planning my whole life around the fixture list I will at least be planning trips home around getting to games. I can't imagine that ever changing.

My passion for Southend has certainly changed over the years. It used to be everything to me, my life was planned around the fixture list and a fair amount of spare waking hours were dedicated to thinking about the club.

As life became more grown-up my priorities shifted. I began to miss away games, then sometimes a holiday or social engagement would mean that some home games were missed. I went from spending games in a state of nervous energy totally focused on the action whilst making as much noise as possible to sitting back and relaxing whilst joking with mates. Whilst I still of course want us to win and go mental when we score it's not the be all and everything to me, it's now as much about the social aspect of chilling out and spending time with mates.

A lot of that is I'm sure the same for many people as they get older, I certainly feel my relationship with the club is healthier now. However I wouldn't swap those days of hardcore supporting for anything. I still have a number of good mates from those days and fond memories of mates who are sadly no longer with us.

When I am living on the other side of the world as next season kicks off I will have a real pang of homesickness. For the first time in years I won't have a season ticket and I won't be taking my place at the majority of home games alongside those mates. However that isn't because of any apathy with football or falling out of love with Southend United in any way. It just means that now my family is the most important thing in my life and I will be doing what I feel is best for them. I will remain however a Shrimper for life, glued to the internet for my fix - instead of planning my whole life around the fixture list I will at least be planning trips home around getting to games. I can't imagine that ever changing.

Well said that man.

Same for me really - apart from the moving to New Zealand, that is... ;)

Ditto....

:)

Apologies - I know Mrs Libertine is a Kiwi...

Yep, but all her immediate family are now living in Brisbane. Therefore my new adopted team will be Queensland Roar in the A-League -

QldRoar.gif

And this is where I'll be watching my football -

richlands.JPG

In fairness I had a spell when playing became more important that watching. I had playing to a good standard in a side that was winning often and watching became a secondary role really. I still went to mid weekers but Saturdays I was playing week in week out.

Sadly I got injured and that ended it all but the nice thing about football is that is still there if you want it.

I am sure a good game or two and your feelings will all come back.

That is pretty much what happened to me as well, I rarely watched soccer and only once I got injured and gave up playing did I begin to actually take an interest in watching the sport. In retrospect I doubt that I would have ever starting supporting Southend if it was not for my injuries, so I guess it wasn't completely bad!

Back