• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Last night went with some Southend fans to Braintree v Luton , partly to see how the Hatters' 4 ex shrimpers are getting on.
It was a great match, with loads of passion + very tough tackling on a bobbly pitch. We witnessed a master class of leading the front line from Paul Benson who won every header, ruffled the feathers + put himself about very effectively & bringing his team mates into play .... Barry Corr could honestly learn a thing or two in watching Benno's performances. Scoring 1 + making 1 , with an excellent goal celebration from the Shrimpers fan!!!
Ex Southend loanee Ronnie Henry was class at right back + attacked the flank very well. Sadly Dave Martin was injured ( shock! ) & Luke Guttridge was sub ( + was given the nod to come on with 85 minutes on the clock but took so long getting changed + then waited an age for the ball to go out of play so never actually got on ! )
Braintree only came to life when Dan Holman came on , always rated him + think of all our Essex neighbours' players Holman is one i'd like to see at Southend. He looks like a cross between Kevin Phillips & Freddy Eastwood 7 years ago + i think could cut it at league 2 level.

It was great to see Essex's 3rd best team ( behind Southend and Southend reserves :winking:) + i'd recommend any blues fans to check em out when we're not playing.... especially if you stand behing the dugouts + enjoy Alan"tourettes"Devonshire giving the officials "advise"

Reckon Luton are certainties to go up & Braintree will just miss out on the play offs

Ronnie Henry now there's a name I had forgotten! As for Paul Benson I don't think he counts as an ex shrimper as he only ever had trials with us but would still love him here as he is a fan too :smile:

Last night went with some Southend fans to Braintree v Luton , partly to see how the Hatters' 4 ex shrimpers are getting on.
It was a great match, with loads of passion + very tough tackling on a bobbly pitch. We witnessed a master class of leading the front line from Paul Benson who won every header, ruffled the feathers + put himself about very effectively & bringing his team mates into play .... Barry Corr could honestly learn a thing or two in watching Benno's performances. Scoring 1 + making 1 , with an excellent goal celebration from the Shrimpers fan!!!
Ex Southend loanee Ronnie Henry was class at right back + attacked the flank very well. Sadly Dave Martin was injured ( shock! ) & Luke Guttridge was sub ( + was given the nod to come on with 85 minutes on the clock but took so long getting changed + then waited an age for the ball to go out of play so never actually got on ! )
Braintree only came to life when Dan Holman came on , always rated him + think of all our Essex neighbours' players Holman is one i'd like to see at Southend. He looks like a cross between Kevin Phillips & Freddy Eastwood 7 years ago + i think could cut it at league 2 level.

It was great to see Essex's 3rd best team ( behind Southend and Southend reserves :winking:) + i'd recommend any blues fans to check em out when we're not playing.... especially if you stand behing the dugouts + enjoy Alan"tourettes"Devonshire giving the officials "advise"

Reckon Luton are certainties to go up & Braintree will just miss out on the play offs

How dare you

Ronnie Henry now there's a name I had forgotten! As for Paul Benson I don't think he counts as an ex shrimper as he only ever had trials with us but would still love him here as he is a fan too :smile:
Sorry,Ricey,that's not quite right.Towards the end of the 2004-5 season,I saw Paul Benson play (most impressively) in 2 successive resrve fixtures(v Woking and v Reading,guess which one finished 4-0,the other was 2-5!).He scored in both but the following week's fixture was switched at short notice from Wed. to Tues,as sometimes happened and he couldn't get the time off from his job in the City.John Still stepped in and signed him up for non-league Dagenham and Redbridge-as a semi -professional initially.

Sorry,Ricey,that's not quite right.Towards the end of the 2004-5 season,I saw Paul Benson play (most impressively) in 2 successive resrve fixtures(v Woking and v Reading,guess which one finished 4-0,the other was 2-5!).He scored in both but the following week's fixture was switched at short notice from Wed. to Tues,as sometimes happened and he couldn't get the time off from his job in the City.John Still stepped in and signed him up for non-league Dagenham and Redbridge-as a semi -professional initially.

You can play in reserve fixtures as a trialist!

Further to Braintree v Luton......though he was a good player and has done well with these part-timers,Iwouldn't want Devonshire anywhere near our club as he is a complete a-hole, John Still,on the other hand would have been a fantastic choice.

Back