• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irate Ian

Members
Re-instated below as the former thread appears to have lapsed:-

Fomer thread titled: "Yes [6.3.2008] & The Future".

Ron Martin did confirm preparedness to supply answers, which are awaited.

I make no apology for re-posting these questions, first raised in thread "Ron Martin - Questions" dated 24.2.08 and which I will be meeting RM upon at 19.30 on this historic day at RH.

I will seek to post replies as early as possible to SZ, even if that means working through much if not all the night.

1. Who [names of all consortia members] or what corporation [and names of their shareholders] are the beneficial owners of the land on which the Fossetts development is proposed. Viz who are the beneficial owners and in what percentage terms are their stakes ?

2. In consideration for the release of restrictive covenant of use of land at Roots Hall now or previously, what if any long term security of tenure are SUFC to be granted at the proposed new stadia and by what vehicle or deed.

3. What terms of lease and anticipated rent is to be payable [and to whom] by SUFC at Fossetts. Also what termly rent reviews are proposed.

3a Does Ron feel that because of his possible need to maximise profits from the development, that he has any possible conflict of interest with the needs of SUFC to remain solvent during its use and occupation of the stadium.

3b If the immediate landlord sells the freehold, will any provision for SUFC being protrected against eviction be envisaged.

3c In the event of SUFC Ltd entering any form of Insolvency, will the football team trading under the name of Southend United be given first refusal to continue use and occupation under identical terms as SUFC Ltd under the proposed Lease or Trust Deed so that perpetual occupation by any re-incarnation of Southend United only be first assured ?

4. Who will be [a] the immediate and the residual landlord.

5. Will there be a right of forfeiture of lease for faliure to pay rent on a timely basis or other covenants.

6. Will SUFC have sole use of the stadium and capability to derive benefit of income from other permitted uses.

7. What other uses are envisaged.

8. Does RM envisage SUFC being capable of meeting payment of rent based upon the projected operating costs of SUFC at the new stadium.

9. What are the projected financials viz can the club sustain to trade with the overheads that are anticipated.

9a Do the financials assume higher level of average gate, if so what average number?

9b How was this number estimated and what if any market research may have been undertaken and will this be published, if so, when.

9c Has Ron considered raising capital by SUFC from its supporters by other than purchase of shares; for the advance purchase of season cards for [a] more than one year life [c] perpetual [in form of some type of foundation debenture purchase as with the Royal Albert Hall]

10 What liabilites are presently subsisting to the owners of Roots Hall by SUFC in respect of [a] rent service charges or other liability.

11 What is to be done concerning these liabilities if the development proceeds.

12 What if any pre-conditions are anticipated for advance purchase of season cards for above 1 year.

13 Will any purchase include all/or any events taking place at the stadium.

14 If not, will season card holders be afforded first refusal on other than football events in "their" seats.

15 What other information can Ron disclose to supporters that will serve to enable a greater understanding of the proposed legacy he anticipates bestowing upon SUFC in return for the club being the vehicle by which his or other development companies can ultimately re-develop the site of Roots Hall.

If any Shrimperzone members have any additional questions, would they contact John and please publish.

Await with interest Rons thoughts and comments.

Southend Utd 1st and last.

Up- Date: 7 March 2008

The reason I made no apology for re-posting is [1] the questions had pre-empted a yes decision and had [IMO] taken on greater relevence after yesterdays momentous planning announcement and [2] avoidance of criticism as to replication of the earlier thread.

Met RM at RH 19.40 - 21.10; Thurs 6 March 2008 together with The Flying Scotsman and my son [apologies to his P.A. & security officer for their late finish] on what was a momentous day in the history of our beloved club.

Also the culmination of years of hard work for RM and his team. Now the work really begins.....

His victory should not be under-estmimated and as caring supporters, we made him fully aware of our appreciation for his efforts at the head of the operation.

Ron was understandably shattered at the end of this brilliant news day and recovering from some nasty virus [hope does not pass through to the team during 1/2 time in the dressing room].

Ron will respond to each of the questions by email in the course of the next few days and I have agreed to post his replies in full for the benefit of all SZ members.

The fact that he was prepared to meet us at all, rather than simply reply in writing, or ignore the questions, is testiment to his hands on style/approach and his willingness to provide open responses.

I am satisfied from [1] our business like conversations [2] past and future football chatter/talk in genreral [which was equally illuminating - will not betray his confidences]; that the club are as secure as they can be under his leadership and the way forward is: Up.

We thanked him for his time and look forward to posting/forwarding of RM's detailed responses in the near future.

Flying Scotsman may well post replies relevent to his management of SZFC

Fair to report that RM can also be irate.

I believe that our meeting was however constructive and cleared up for me a number of basic uncertainties.

Ron's determination and single mindedness on all things football related, was very evident. He has his finger on the pulse, in minute detail, for sure.

The team and the stadium continuing to develop is a massive challenge, but one which I BELIEVE he and Tilly/Brush, will together achieve.

Ian W

3rd Up date: 19 March [2nd below]

RM did email me privately yesterday to confirm that he anticipates being in a position to reply to the listed questions by circa end of the week following the long Easter vacation weekend.

Footballing matters, are , I agree much more important at the business end of the season.

Did have the audacity to ask another - concerning our North Bank, being returned to home supporters for next two seasons. Hopefully we may have news sooner on that one, if possible.

Ian W.

4th Update: Thurs 3 April 2008

No news. All has gone quiet, I will email RM in next few days to seek indication of his anticipated response.

5th Update: Sat 3 May 2008

Until the priorities of the football season and the play-offs are over the questions will remain on the back burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
how many building firms does 1 need 2 own!!!! do tell.

Tax advantages and concealment from immediate public view of shareholders are reasons that spring to mind, but Jetbury Investments Ltd remain something of a mystery connection.

Their name suggests investment [asset ownership] rather than building though. Another question ?

IIRC when the FF site was first mooted several years ago RM stalled the purchase of the strip of land due to the price. The asking price was then paid by a third party who , at the time was , I believe, Swan Holdings

From the Yahoo list the other week

A letter arrives from the Secretary of state informing me that a further note has been received from Southend Estates Group (it was enclosed) - they are the group NOT selling a strip of land to Ron

Sadly the letter from SEG to the Secretary is very blunt - here's the key bit

"I must advise you that there is at the present time no realistic prospect that the scheme before you will be implemented in its present form even should planning permission be granted by the Secretary of State in respect of these applications"

Basically Ron has to pay more money.......

The letter goes on to say they suggest the decision be deferred....however the Planing Inspector has not agreed to that at this time and is clearly hopeful that matter will be resolved...ok

From the Yahoo list the other week

A letter arrives from the Secretary of state informing me that a further note has been received from Southend Estates Group (it was enclosed) - they are the group NOT selling a strip of land to Ron

Sadly the letter from SEG to the Secretary is very blunt - here's the key bit

"I must advise you that there is at the present time no realistic prospect that the scheme before you will be implemented in its present form even should planning permission be granted by the Secretary of State in respect of these applications"

Basically Ron has to pay more money.......

The letter goes on to say they suggest the decision be deferred....however the Planing Inspector has not agreed to that at this time and is clearly hopeful that matter will be resolved...ok

Good God it had better be. I will do my nut if there are any more delays.

Annoying that this estates company seem to be holding the club to ransom. I bet the land isn't worth anywhere near how much they are asking for.

Good God it had better be. I will do my nut if there are any more delays.

Annoying that this estates company seem to be holding the club to ransom. I bet the land isn't worth anywhere near how much they are asking for.

The land is worth as much as they can get for it.......

It will cost RM a damn site more than the price he was not willing to pay 5 or 6 years ago !

Re-instated below as the former thread appears to have lapsed:-

Fomer thread titled: "Yes [6.3.2008] & The Future".

Ron Martin did confirm preparedness to supply answers, which are awaited.

I make no apology for re-posting these questions, first raised in thread "Ron Martin - Questions" dated 24.2.08 and which I will be meeting RM upon at 19.30 on this historic day at RH.

I will seek to post replies as early as possible to SZ, even if that means working through much if not all the night.

1. Who [names of all consortia members] or what corporation [and names of their shareholders] are the beneficial owners of the land on which the Fossetts development is proposed. Viz who are the beneficial owners and in what percentage terms are their stakes ?

2. In consideration for the release of restrictive covenant of use of land at Roots Hall now or previously, what if any long term security of tenure are SUFC to be granted at the proposed new stadia and by what vehicle or deed.

3. What terms of lease and anticipated rent is to be payable [and to whom] by SUFC at Fossetts. Also what termly rent reviews are proposed.

3a Does Ron feel that because of his possible need to maximise profits from the development, that he has any possible conflict of interest with the needs of SUFC to remain solvent during its use and occupation of the stadium.

3b If the immediate landlord sells the freehold, will any provision for SUFC being protrected against eviction be envisaged.

3c In the event of SUFC Ltd entering any form of Insolvency, will the football team trading under the name of Southend United be given first refusal to continue use and occupation under identical terms as SUFC Ltd under the proposed Lease or Trust Deed so that perpetual occupation by any re-incarnation of Southend United only be first assured ?

5. Will there be a right of forfeiture of lease for faliure to pay rent on a timely basis or other covenants.

6. Will SUFC have sole use of the stadium and capability to derive benefit of income from other permitted uses.

8. Does RM envisage SUFC being capable of meeting payment of rent based upon the projected operating costs of SUFC at the new stadium.

9. What are the projected financials viz can the club sustain to trade with the overheads that are anticipated.

9a Do the financials assume higher level of average gate, if so what average number?

9b How was this number estimated and what if any market research may have been undertaken and will this be published, if so, when.

9c Has Ron considered raising capital by SUFC from its supporters by other than purchase of shares; for the advance purchase of season cards for [a] more than one year life [c] perpetual [in form of some type of foundation debenture purchase as with the Royal Albert Hall]

10 What liabilites are presently subsisting to the owners of Roots Hall by SUFC in respect of [a] rent service charges or other liability.

12 What if any pre-conditions are anticipated for advance purchase of season cards for above 1 year.

14 If not, will season card holders be afforded first refusal on other than football events in "their" seats.

15 What other information can Ron disclose to supporters that will serve to enable a greater understanding of the proposed legacy he anticipates bestowing upon SUFC in return for the club being the vehicle by which his or other development companies can ultimately re-develop the site of Roots Hall.

If any Shrimperzone members have any additional questions, would they contact John and please publish.

The reason I made no apology for re-posting is [1] the questions had pre-empted a yes decision and had [IMO] taken on greater relevence after yesterdays momentous planning announcement and [2] avoidance of criticism as to replication of the earlier thread.

Met RM at RH 19.40 - 21.10; Thurs 6 March 2008 together with The Flying Scotsman and my son [apologies to his P.A. & security officer for their late finish] on what was a momentous day in the history of our beloved club.

Also the culmination of years of hard work for RM and his team. Now the work really begins.....

His victory should not be under-estmimated and as caring supporters, we made him fully aware of our appreciation for his efforts at the head of the operation.

Ron was understandably shattered at the end of this brilliant news day and recovering from some nasty virus [hope does not pass through to the team during 1/2 time in the dressing room].

Ron will respond to each of the questions by email in the course of the next few days and I have agreed to post his replies in full for the benefit of all SZ members.

The fact that he was prepared to meet us at all, rather than simply reply in writing, or ignore the questions, is testiment to his hands on style/approach and his willingness to provide open responses.

I am satisfied from [1] our business like conversations [2] past and future football chatter/talk in genreral [which was equally illuminating - will not betray his confidences]; that the club are as secure as they can be under his leadership and the way forward is: Up.

We thanked him for his time and look forward to posting/forwarding of RM's detailed responses in the near future.

I believe that our meeting was however constructive and cleared up for me a number of basic uncertainties.

Ron's determination and single mindedness on all things football related, was very evident. He has his finger on the pulse, in minute detail, for sure.

The team and the stadium continuing to develop is a massive challenge, but one which I BELIEVE he and Tilly/Brush, will together achieve.

Ian W

RM did email me privately yesterday to confirm that he anticipates being in a position to reply to the listed questions by circa end of the week following the long Easter vacation weekend.

Footballing matters, are , I agree much more important at the business end of the season.

Did have the audacity to ask another - concerning our North Bank, being returned to home supporters for next two seasons. Hopefully we may have news sooner on that one, if possible.

Ian W.

No news. All has gone quiet, I will email RM in next few days to seek indication of his anticipated response.

Until the priorities of the football season and the play-offs are over the questions will remain on the back burner.

no news good news !!!!! or no news is @hit news it would be nice to know also who other owners are .

Since this Thread appears to have mysteriously dissappeared I re-post it, as we still await any repsonse.

Originally Posted by Irate Ian

1. Who [names of all consortia members] or what corporation [and names of their shareholders] are the beneficial owners of the land on which the Fossetts development is proposed.

Ian W

Ian W.

Ian...I must say you have done rather better than me. I have written letters and sent e-mails to the Club regarding the stadium in a professional capacity as well as purely from a lifelong fan's perspective and I have not even had a 'thanks but no thanks' letter...consider yourself fortunate! Unsure as to whether I have been blacklisted by the Club in some capacity along the years! Ah well...win some, lose some! :)

Ian...I must say you have done rather better than me. I have written letters and sent e-mails to the Club regarding the stadium in a professional capacity as well as purely from a lifelong fan's perspective and I have not even had a 'thanks but no thanks' letter...consider yourself fortunate! Unsure as to whether I have been blacklisted by the Club in some capacity along the years! Ah well...win some, lose some! :)

You must know too much !

Sherif H can you refresh us with the estimated building cost of one seat, which I recall your having mentioned in the past ?

Refer to the current "Seat for Life" thread on General Chit Chat board.

Addendum: Sherif H, beleives the building cost per each seat should be in the region of £1,600 - £1,800

Last edited:
You must know too much !

Sherif H can you refresh us with the estimated building cost of one seat, which I recall your having mentioned in the past ?

Refer to the current "Seat for Life" thread on General Chit Chat board.

Ha...possibly! It is very changeable Ian, and in fairness, can be skewed either way on the type and standard of associated facilities being built, but I would guesstimate that we are looking at about £1600-£1800 per seat at current day. This would give a stadium ONLY cost at FF of approx £35 and £38million.

Ha...possibly! It is very changeable Ian, and in fairness, can be skewed either way on the type and standard of associated facilities being built, but I would guesstimate that we are looking at about £1600-£1800 per seat at current day. This would give a stadium ONLY cost at FF of approx £35 and £38million.

Thanks for that, I take it FF = First Fix, although I am not in the trade.

What do you make of £80M now touted as funding cost needed ?

Is is possible the price is being delibertely inflated to enable seat for life prices to be manipulated upward ? I do not suggest that to be the case, but the reversal in policy and a doubling of estimated costs does seem co-incidental and difficult to reconcile to ordinary people.

You could be right, but Sherif H will no doubt clarify.

Actually Ian...not so technical...FF was indeed for Fossetts Farm.

I have actually always thought the figure would be upwards of £60million for the entire development, but I am unsure as to how exactly that is broken down.

One thing I would say is that you pay for top designers to be involved, and HOK are about as expensive as they come. If the Club are serious about cost cutting they should probably consider ditching the architect ASAP and getting in a smaller sports architecture practice with some stadium experience to see the design and build process through on the Client side. My humble opinion is that HOK need not be retained throughout the construction phase.

I really shouldn't say anymore, because whilst I have given up hope of being involved in the project in my usual capacity (Project Management) I have not been told so formally, so I shall rightfully reserve further comment until I know the full facts of the situation.

Back