• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know 'CMW' it's a risky strategy, but needs must and what do we have to lose.

The "CSM" doesn't work, so let's try the polar opposite.

But how much of that actually makes it to Ron. Or is does it hit SK and go no farther because at the moment let's be honest he couldn't give two ***** about us. He is off to another club and couldn't care less who will be managing us.

Don't know, Ron's son is now involved at the club, and social media may well be his thing!

Definitely SK and the Commercial department keep an eye on things. I've had my knuckles rapped a couple of times for saying a bit more than I should have! Plus I've had to post things on their behalf on occasion too!

I hate seeing managers go .. but Brown has been simply appalling for the best part of a year now. Some exciting signings all bizarrely wasted and used in the strangest fashion. We dont look good up front. We look awful at the back and we are even worse in midfield. We have no shape and no plan A; let alone a Plan B. Unless we go back to basics we are heading back to the basement of the football league....

I would take anyone else right now. I really would...

Perhaps it was Dave Penney who got us promoted?

Brown has signed all these players now and just like the end of last season with all the loanees he has not got a clue what a balanced team is - there is not a stand out 11 that wold pick itself if everyone is fit.

Someone young with with fresh ideas needs to come it and sort it. His tactics are too old hat. Look at the successful lower league managers - nearly alll under 45.

My biggest argument over this post is not about whether Brown should stay or go. It is that i completely disagree that we have a good enough squad. Where do you get that from? Our squad is much weaker than last season (Ranger may or may not improve it) and therein lies the problem.
The Manager is struggling for sure. The squad is not good enough.

The squad is not good enough.

Perhaps this is true - it is certainly an unbalanced squad that's for sure.

But the squad is PB's squad, they are his players, mainly signed by him and therefore he has to take full responsibility.

I have no personal feelings about him one way or the other, but feel that to retain his dignity and employability level that he should consider resigning rather than suffer the indignity of being sacked.

My biggest argument over this post is not about whether Brown should stay or go. It is that i completely disagree that we have a good enough squad. Where do you get that from? Our squad is much weaker than last season (Ranger may or may not improve it) and therein lies the problem.

So, Cox, Fortune, Ranger, Ferdinand....not good enough? They've all played at much higher levels than the foot of League 1.

Yes they all played at higher levels than most of League 1. But they quite clearly were not up to it or with a couple - do not have the correct attitude.
Either way, they are players that were offloaded, available...and free. Nobody else wanted them.
Contrast Daniel Bentley - on his way up. Jack Payne - on his way up. Worrall? Well, he went to Millwall which most football followers would conclude as a better bet than us. True or not.

PB has a habit of bringing in problem players or those not good enough at their previous club - while being Southend United we inevitably lose our best players.

So yes. The squad is far poorer. Three performers have left (two of whom have been excellent) and four players whose career are on the decline have been recruited. And the goalkeeper!!

I only briefly touched on Oxley at the end as nobody needs a reminder. King? Poor.
A very weak squad. Pep would struggle to get this lot above 16th.

I only briefly touched on Oxley at the end as nobody needs a reminder. King? Poor.
A very weak squad. Pep would struggle to get this lot above 16th.

Not sure I agree - we have lost Bentley and Payne in short.
Whilst we have suffered a number of key injuries, the squad is largely 100% fit at present (if not all match fit/sharp), and we have some players with impressive pedigrees at this level and above (Cox, Mooney, Ranger, Ferdinand etc..) - the fact that Brown cannot pick and stick to a system, formation, style or tempo to suit the squad is the driving force behind our being so absolutely terrible every week - ergo, we need to sack him asap and bring in somebody who can gel this group of players, who, individually, I believe, are decent, but, as a team, are utterly woeful when playing under Brown's stewardship...

Not sure I agree - we have lost Bentley and Payne in short.
Whilst we have suffered a number of key injuries, the squad is largely 100% fit at present (if not all match fit/sharp), and we have some players with impressive pedigrees at this level and above (Cox, Mooney, Ranger, Ferdinand etc..) - the fact that Brown cannot pick and stick to a system, formation, style or tempo to suit the squad is the driving force behind our being so absolutely terrible every week - ergo, we need to sack him asap and bring in somebody who can gel this group of players, who, individually, I believe, are decent, but, as a team, are utterly woeful when playing under Brown's stewardship...

Just correct. That is all.

Well obviously it's not as good as last season's squad in several areas (GK and CM). When it comes to "good enough" though, it depends what you mean by it. Good enough for what? Good enough to push for the playoffs? Most likely not. Good enough to compete? Yes. Good enough to avoid being in the relegation battle that we seem to be slipping into? Most definitely. Whether you see some of the new acquisitions as being "on the way down" or not, they have pedigree at this level and ones above and are good enough for mid-table in this division. Individually. Where the problem lies is said players being acquired without any thought as to whether they fit in to the manager's system and are now being shoehorned into it (see Cox). Buy the players and mould the system to their strengths rather than the other way around and you might get much more out of them. The manager doesn't know how to set-up the team to play to their strengths and get the most out of them, and they are becoming frustrated with it as a result. Therein lies the problem.

Its becoming clear that Brown won't walk.

What I am not clear on despite all the angst and repeated 'come on Ron pull the trigger' etc can we actually afford to sack him....? How long has his contract to run...? How much (approximately) would it cost not only to pay him off (and any associated staff) but also there is the incoming Manager's salary. We won't attract quality paying peanuts.

Any thoughts.....?

Its becoming clear that Brown won't walk.

What I am not clear on despite all the angst and repeated 'come on Ron pull the trigger' etc can we actually afford to sack him....? How long has his contract to run...? How much (approximately) would it cost not only to pay him off (and any associated staff) but also there is the incoming Manager's salary. We won't attract quality paying peanuts.

Any thoughts.....?

I'd rather ORM did it from Hong Kong.

Back