• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For those of a certain age....

Football has changed a huge lot in the last 50 years! This is pointless tbh Jesus Christ!

A bit harsh. Any thread that talks about the old times, is good in my eyes. He's also talking about teams at the bottom that couldn't get a win. A bit like us. Then they happened to beat us. Do we have to talk about football as it is today, just because it's changed?

I would like to go back to the 1970-71 season (the year before our first ever promotion).

After 17 league games (sound familiar?), the bottom two in the division 4 table had the following records:-

Barrow P17 W1 D3 L13
Newport County P17 W0 D2 L15

Interestingly Barrow's one win came in their 17th game against, wait for it... Southend United (3-2 at Roots Hall).
It gets worse. Newport proceeded to go a further 8 games without a win until January 15th 1971 when, yes you've guessed it, they tonked Southend 3-0 at Somerton Park.

Amazingly Newport finished 3rd from bottom with 28pts (38 in today's money), winning 10 of their last 21 games. When they played us in that game in January, they had draw 4 and lost 21 games out of 25.

Disregarding the bit about us being everyone's whipping boys, perhaps this might give us a sliver of hope in the days to come.
Barrow completed the double against us in march 71, 2-0 as I recall. A very long trip with the coach leaving roots hall at 12.30 on the Saturday morning for the afternoon kick off!

Off the top of my head, Cambridge United replaced Bradford Park Avenue in 1970, and Hereford United replaced Barrow in 1972.

Thanks, mate. That makes sense.

Next up after that must have been Workington, replaced by Wigan?

Barrow completed the double against us in march 71, 2-0 as I recall. A very long trip with the coach leaving roots hall at 12.30 on the Saturday morning for the afternoon kick off!

For some reason, I often check out Barrow's progress. It's not inconceivable we could renew acquaintance with them next season.

I'm sure there's some old footage on 'A team we call United' of a trip to Barrow, as well.

For some reason, I often check out Barrow's progress. It's not inconceivable we could renew acquaintance with them next season.

I'm sure there's some old footage on 'A team we call United' of a trip to Barrow, as well.

Still available at the Shrimpers Trust stand in the Shrimpers Bar before home matches!

I recall West Brom ending an appalling run at RH with a 3 0 win....

No, it was at the Hawthorns when we lost 3-1 in 95/96. They had lost 14 and drawn one of their previous 15 matches.

No, it was at the Hawthorns when we lost 3-1 in 95/96. They had lost 14 and drawn one of their previous 15 matches.

Hang on a minute, I've just realised I went to that game.

IIRC, it was a snowy day and the game was in doubt (Many others had been called off). We managed to miss two of the goals, as we left at 2-0 with 5 minutes to go. The classic roar from the crowd as you are walking away from the ground.

Hang on a minute, I've just realised I went to that game.

IIRC, it was a snowy day and the game was in doubt (Many others had been called off). We managed to miss two of the goals, as we left at 2-0 with 5 minutes to go. The classic roar from the crowd as you are walking away from the ground.

A real "shock result" (to those who didn't know our winless run breaking pedigree). West Brom were bottom of the division and we were riding high in 4th place. What could possibly go wrong - apart from Bob Taylor?

Full programme of matches in the "championship" that day, which that season included Tranmere, Grimsby, Oldham and Port Vale - so we're not the only club looking back nostalgically on better days.

Indeed @Mick and you are right about a number of games being played. More than I thought. Just remember being in two minds whether to drive that day. I found the goals, as well. At 55:00 mins on the below link :-

Last edited:
Ps, On that above link our 2-1 win at RH that season is there at 8:10 mins.

Attachments

• b111121afbdb62148f4ae0aec23ebfad--football-design-football-boots.jpg
    b111121afbdb62148f4ae0aec23ebfad--football-design-football-boots.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 10
  • 086ef12580d4de29424d379a91fa7b31--george-best-word-cup.jpg
    086ef12580d4de29424d379a91fa7b31--george-best-word-cup.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 14a0ce5d7b825be1e1c418ab6a14fda1--football-boots-football-stuff.jpg
    14a0ce5d7b825be1e1c418ab6a14fda1--football-boots-football-stuff.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 9
Back