• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For those of a certain age....

Hang on a minute, I've just realised I went to that game.

IIRC, it was a snowy day and the game was in doubt (Many others had been called off). We managed to miss two of the goals, as we left at 2-0 with 5 minutes to go. The classic roar from the crowd as you are walking away from the ground.

Didn’t we miss a penalty just before they scored their first goal?

Not sure. I do remember we had a really good chance as we were kicking towards our end in the first half and it was right in front of us. Can't remember if it was Gary Jones or someone else.

Not sure. I do remember we had a really good chance as we were kicking towards our end in the first half and it was right in front of us. Can't remember if it was Gary Jones or someone else.
Great to see you back Andy, will we be seeing the SC Diaries at any stage?? :Winking2:

Cricket mostly @THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK . I'm not around much until cricket finishes and what with our performances and so on, I've not been to RH yet, so didn't have anything much to contribute to our season.

I did look in from time to time and have kept up a bit with debate and so on.

Anybody know what make of boots our Billy wore?
I have spoken to Billy in the last hour and asked him what make of football boots he use to wear when he was at Roots Hall and he said he could not remember the make but did say they were normally all black, size generally between 5 and 6 depending on the make.
Also whenever he had to buy some new boots they were broken in by the young apprentice professionals and you had to buy your own and he also told me they usually cost between ("Wait for it") £5.00/£8.00.

I have spoken to Billy in the last hour and asked him what make of football boots he use to wear when he was at Roots Hall and he said he could not remember the make but did say they were normally all black, size generally between 5 and 6 depending on the make.
Also whenever he had to buy some new boots they were broken in by the young apprentice professionals and you had to buy your own and he also told me they usually cost between ("Wait for it") £5.00/£8.00.

They might have been Lawrence boots. Players like Jimmy Greaves wore them. I also read an article where Terry Johnson was praising them. Something about them being the best boots for hard or frozen pitches, which happened a lot in those days.
lawrence-1967.jpg

Looking at a picture of The King on the back of A Century United it looks like he is wearing Puma boots , going through old pictures Adidas seemed popular with the team .

I used to have a pair of "Relum Jupiter's" when I was a young 'un.......all black, moulded sole, (no screw in studs)...which were very en vogue at the time, similar to number tags to your socks...very Leeds United.

They did me proud

Looking at a picture of The King on the back of A Century United it looks like he is wearing Puma boots , going through old pictures Adidas seemed popular with the team .

Didn't / don't Adidas boots have the three white stripes on the side ….:Unsure:

Not knocking your view but...……………….??

I used to have a pair of "Relum Jupiter's" when I was a young 'un.......all black, moulded sole, (no screw in studs)...which were very en vogue at the time, similar to number tags to your socks...very Leeds United.

They did me proud

But, on the flip side...I never made it to become a Southend Superstar...al la Mr Billy Best..hey ho !!

Didn't / don't Adidas boots have the three white stripes on the side ….:Unsure:

Not knocking your view but...……………….??
Harry now the picture has blown up they dont look like Puma although it looks like a stripe on the boots .

They might have been Lawrence boots. Players like Jimmy Greaves wore them. I also read an article where Terry Johnson was praising them. Something about them being the best boots for hard or frozen pitches, which happened a lot in those days.
lawrence-1967.jpg
Thanks for that, amazing that in his era players really did not care what make was on there feet.

Back