• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For those of a certain age....

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
I would like to go back to the 1970-71 season (the year before our first ever promotion).

After 17 league games (sound familiar?), the bottom two in the division 4 table had the following records:-

Barrow P17 W1 D3 L13
Newport County P17 W0 D2 L15

Interestingly Barrow's one win came in their 17th game against, wait for it... Southend United (3-2 at Roots Hall).
It gets worse. Newport proceeded to go a further 8 games without a win until January 15th 1971 when, yes you've guessed it, they tonked Southend 3-0 at Somerton Park.

Amazingly Newport finished 3rd from bottom with 28pts (38 in today's money), winning 10 of their last 21 games. When they played us in that game in January, they had draw 4 and lost 21 games out of 25.

Disregarding the bit about us being everyone's whipping boys, perhaps this might give us a sliver of hope in the days to come.

"It could only happen to us!". Southend United - guaranteed to end your winless streak :Cry::Sad:

Football has changed a huge lot in the last 50 years! This is pointless tbh Jesus Christ!
What precisely has time got to do with it?
In case you are young, just to let you know there were 92 clubs in four divisions back in the 1970's. Yes, really!!

Didn’t Carlisle come down to Roots Hall I few seasons back on a run of 13 defeats only to beat us
Seem to remember the awlful deckchair shirts they wore, Green, Brown and white stripes .

What precisely has time got to do with it?
In case you are young, just to let you know there were 92 clubs in four divisions back in the 1970's. Yes, really!!
Help me and educate me on the relevance football had back in the 70s and that particular situation has to now in 2019 and our current situation. Would love to know the comparisons.

Help me and educate me on the relevance football had back in the 70s and that particular situation has to now in 2019 and our current situation. Would love to know the comparisons.
It would take too long, and I just get the distinct feeling I would be wasting my time.

can I have a row with someone too ...

I mean is that really a Goodship picture in your profile ???????

Had a look at that 1970-71 table, which of course was Division Four.

Out of the 24 teams and bearing in mind it was nearly 50 years ago as our right honourable friend has pointed out earlier, there are only 5 teams that are currently in a higher division now than they were then. One of those has re-invented itself along the way, as well and one of them is us! :Cool:

Just goes to show how little does change and in a fair percentage of cases has actually got worse.

Edit : 5 teams, not 4

Last edited:
Football has changed a huge lot in the last 50 years! This is pointless tbh Jesus Christ!

Football had plenty of relevance back in the 70s, as much as it has now, I'd say.

Yes football has changed "a huge lot" (as opposed to a small lot ?) since then but not in ways which prevent clubs turning their seasons round nor certain clubs having a propensity to end incredibly long non-winning runs (didn't we do it to West Brom too ?).

Being "of a certain age" (see, the clue is in the thread title) and having seen those matches mentioned at Newport and Roots Hall, I find this sort of stuff more interesting than most of the current diatribes. How does it compare to the threads you've started ? ....... oh, you haven't.

Had a look at that 1970-71 table, which of course was Division Four.

Out of the 24 teams and bearing in mind it was nearly 50 years ago as our right honourable friend has pointed out earlier, there are only 4 teams that are currently in a higher division now than they were then. One of those has re-invented itself along the way, as well and one of them is us! :Cool:

Just goes to show how little does change and in a fair percentage of cases has actually got worse.
I think 16 of those 70/1 div 4 teams have been relegated to non-league since then, with quite a few not getting back to league football either

Yep, it's a sorry old list. Some are on their way back a bit now, but like you say, it's a high percentage that has plummeted since then.

Quick question and I know I can Google this, but I always thought Cambridge United came into the league at the expense of Barrow, but both are in Division Four in 1970-71, so who did Cambridge United replace and who replaced Barrow?

Quick question and I know I can Google this, but I always thought Cambridge United came into the league at the expense of Barrow, but both are in Division Four in 1970-71, so who did Cambridge United replace and who replaced Barrow?
Off the top of my head, Cambridge United replaced Bradford Park Avenue in 1970, and Hereford United replaced Barrow in 1972.

It certainly is Mr Goodship. He just captures that look which says why the **** did I leave Weymouth. Which is mostly true, but at the time ShrimperZone was very close to sponsoring him for the season so I thought why not. After that I couldn't be arsed to change it.

Grapevine has left us & he was always willing to spar with a keyboard; I believe he is suspected to be back but undercover, in disguise as a footballing font of knowledge, sagacity and affront. Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to see him/her out and engage in language of testicles ad nausea.

Back