• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Foreign nationals allowed to join our armed forces.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
According to the BBC, currently citizens from Commonwealth countries can only join if they have lived in the UK for five years. But in a bid to recruit more servicemen and women to the Army, Navy and Air Force, the Ministry of Defence is lifting this rule.

The Armed Forces is short of 8,200 soldiers, sailors and air personnel, a report found earlier this year.

So Zoners, what do you think on this one? For, against?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46092838

According to the BBC, currently citizens from Commonwealth countries can only join if they have lived in the UK for five years. But in a bid to recruit more servicemen and women to the Army, Navy and Air Force, the Ministry of Defence is lifting this rule.

The Armed Forces is short of 8,200 soldiers, sailors and air personnel, a report found earlier this year.

So Zoners, what do you think on this one? For, against?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46092838
Finacial growth relies on working age population increase, lots of industries have a skills shortage in the UK and this is just another example of that. Politicians and media will need to reframe the concept of immigration as these shortages really kick in.

Bloody foreigners, coming over here and defending a country that isn't theirs.

Finacial growth relies on working age population increase, lots of industries have a skills shortage in the UK and this is just another example of that. Politicians and media will need to reframe the concept of immigration as these shortages really kick in.

Utter nonsense.

A career in the British army now goes against you. Not only will someone try and put you on trial years later for things that happened under fire. You are deliberately excluded from a lot of jobs.

When I joined the London Fire Brigade ex military were fast tracked as there was an 18 month waiting list. Now they prefer a more ‘diverse’ work force.... They openly discriminate against ex Male servicemen.

why is it short of numbers? what defence of our country are they providing? maybe we should actually slim our forces down rather than act as a self-appointed guardian of other countries' wars? #peace

why is it short of numbers? what defence of our country are they providing? maybe we should actually slim our forces down rather than act as a self-appointed guardian of other countries' wars? #peace

A lot of it is to do with the recruitment process. Very long winded and off putting apparently.

How is this new? During WWII there were whole Polish squadrons in the RAF whilst the Gurkhas have been proudly serving in the British army for decades.

My older brother asked me to join him playing with his toy soldiers when we were kids. I remember asking "Why are you killing people bro? Why are you blowing people up?" It wasn't his fault or our parents for buying them. ******** were about to change my mindset too.

Utter nonsense.

A career in the British army now goes against you. Not only will someone try and put you on trial years later for things that happened under fire. You are deliberately excluded from a lot of jobs.

When I joined the London Fire Brigade ex military were fast tracked as there was an 18 month waiting list. Now they prefer a more ‘diverse’ work force.... They openly discriminate against ex Male servicemen.
Obviously is not nonsense.
You know there is an option where you can add additional points without having to put down other valid points - maybe give it a try. Could help the blood pressure.

Obviously is not nonsense.
You know there is an option where you can add additional points without having to put down other valid points - maybe give it a try. Could help the blood pressure.

Best take you own advice and not try and make this into and anti Brexit immigration thread.

As YB says people from all around the world have served the British army proudly for years. So this does not need to be a problem.

However their treatment of soldiers with pay, conditions, poor pension, lack of housing, overworked, relying on charity if your injured and lack of prospects afterwards have all contributed to a lack of British born applicants.

Best take you own advice and not try and make this into and anti Brexit immigration thread.

As YB says people from all around the world have served the British army proudly for years. So this does not need to be a problem.

However their treatment of soldiers with pay, conditions, poor pension, lack of housing, overworked, relying on charity if your injured and lack of prospects afterwards have all contributed to a lack of British born applicants.
I didn't mention Brexit.

You repeated one of the remain campaigns great falsehoods.

Why don’t try and add something instead.
there is a skills shortage and growth of nations feed off increases in working age people - that's not a falsehood.

If you don't respect other opinions maybe you would be better suited to a personal blog rather than a public forum.

there is a skills shortage and growth of nations feed off increases in working age people - that's not a falsehood.

If you don't respect other opinions maybe you would be better suited to a personal blog rather than a public forum.

Again why don't you take your own advice. After all your the one who tells people to remove posts or squeals to the mods about removing someone's comments.

If you don't like peoples replies maybe you need to have a blog. After all this is a football forum not the narrow minded safety of Labour party central office.

Again why don't you take your own advice. After all your the one who tells people to remove posts or squeals to the mods about removing someone's comments.

If you don't like peoples replies maybe you need to have a blog. After all this is a football forum not the narrow minded safety of Labour party central office.

I wish you two would just get a room and leave the rest of us to take posts off topic in the amusing and irreverent ways that used to make this forum fun...

I wish you two would just get a room and leave the rest of us to take posts off topic in the amusing and irreverent ways that used to make this forum fun...
I posted a comment that was valid, after being told it was utter nonsense not replying was not an option I'm afraid.

Its a thread named 'Foreign nationals allowed to join our armed forces' on a football forum so that's what we are discussing.
Can you not just put forward your own points without attacking others for once? It's tiresome.

They’re short because the retention is ****ing ****e. They can not retain people, the one way to keep numbers up is to pay us more! Plain and simple.

As for allowing them to join when they haven’t lived in the country. The navy have recruited for years in the Caribbean without them living in the country so I don’t know why this would be any different. From a security perspective it gives me lots more potential work with the vetting side of things and if they are from certain countries. Doesn’t really bother me to be honest as we have plenty of people already in from other countries. I know a couple of Russian and Ukrainians who are on my unit. Doesn’t cause us any major issues.

Back