• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Forest Green Rovers 1-3 Southend United

Hmmm... the football comments are fine, but "not idiotic comments from half wits who can’t stand their wife."
The mods don't normally like that sort of thing - and with good reason.
No doubt, they've seen it.
Debate? Certainly! Slinging fatuous insults on a night as good as this? I think it says more about 'Schoolboy' than he would like.
I don’t like my wife if that helps ? But she’s pretty fit with a six pack so I put up with it

Yeah, lets drop a committed, intelligent young lad who has had to learn his trade in almost impossible circumstances for an unfit bloke who has totally wasted his talent and already been booted out of the club for repeated failures to act like a professional footballer
I’m up for it

See I don't understand this. Acquah did extremely well in his last start against Cambridge, another team fighting for promotion, so why would people automatically think this was a bad selection?

Playing Acquah upfront means our wide forwards see a lot more of the ball. What he does isn't pretty but he does challenge defenders, stop them getting clean clearances, hold the ball up. It's not going to win you player of the year, and there are lots of players out there that do it better (few of whom are 20 years old) but it's vital.

I think Molesley's handling of Acquah has been really shrewd. He played well in the home game against Cambridge as well (he was subbed with the score at 1-1), but he then took him out of the starting line-up for a while and re-introduced him in the away game against them. With Bolton having a couple of tall, physical centre-backs, he then took him out of the starting eleven again for that match before identifying that he'd have more success against Forest Green Rovers. He's often talking to him during matches as well, putting information into him, and Acquah is learning quickly. Of course his game can still develop, but at 20 years old he's doing a good job for us in that position.

Last night I was very low, rock bottom and more games played and the prospect of playing one of the best and in form teams tonight. But despite my fears I paid for the game like I have done for all away games this season and that was £10 well spent.

I admit at being dispointed by the team selection, but big enough to eat humble pie. That tonight was probably one of the most complete performances we've seen for some time. Tactically it was spot on, but the difference tonight was that we attached in numbers and were on the front foot far more. Defensively we looked solid, but then the defence I don't see as an issue, it's our ability to take our chances the other end that will be the difference between staying up or not

I don't care how we score, but those three tonight were all excellant in different ways and we got what the performance deserved

Oxley was excellant and did all expected of him
The back four never really troubled
Dieng, Taylor and Ferguson equally brilliant hard working and two of the three scorers
Sim, never stops working and caused them trouble every time he ran with the ball and his run for Dieng goal was top draw
Reeco was our main threat first half, less so second half but still did well
Emile did all asked of him and worked so hard. Could have done better with the header first half but it was a tough chance

A strong bench with anyone of them could have started, they will play their part some stage

All three goals quality finishes and Ferguson now probably has the top two goals of the season, that third goal will live long in the memory

Consistency is now key. Saturday off the back of tonight is huge and certainly winnable. We seem to be doing better against the better sides and certainly 7 points from Newport, Cambridge and FGR away is way more than I think anyone expected but the defeat against an average Bolton side was disappointing

Finally, I decided to listen to the home comms tonight, what a couple of biased bellends. Gave us little credit all night and couldn't cope with the fact that we were actually better than them on the night. Every five minutes the co comm kept chucking out bloody stats, the comm couldn't pronounce half our players names and they were obsessed about 5'7 Tom Clifford.

Well exactly.

These companies (which are in fact advertising platforms) make a lot of money and shy away from taking any responsibility regarding the content that they publish.

It's not compulsory (or necessary) to use these companies so quite simply give them the elbow.

My advice to Aquah (and any young player) would be that they are far better listening to their parents and their fellow professionals. Do yourself a favour, get off these advertising sites, concentrate on the football and enjoy your career I say.

Hash tag: deletefarcebook; deletetwatter; deleteinstinkgram

And do it now ............

How bout Friends Reunited?

I’ve literally been watching that Ferguson goal for the last hour ?

What a performance! Great goals, solid at the back. Thought it was a great team performance and it came at the most crucial time. A perfect response to Saturday and last nights results.

special mentions

Oxley looked solid tonight and it was the performance he needed, the team needed and everyone at Southend needed.

Hobson had a very good game. Always connects well with the ball and actually very composed. Played a lovely dummy and long ball out wide in the build up to second goal.

This was the Fairchild I want to see more of. Getting on the ball, taking men on, crossing the ball into the danger zone. We also know he has a decent strike.

Taylor really broke up the play well tonight and kept the engine running in the middle of the park. Dieng also had a good one with a very composed finish.

Ferguson!! Wow just wow .. pick that one out son. WHAT A GOAL!!! Really like him..still wish he was playing higher up the pitch so he could get in shooting positions more often..but then again if he can just keep scoring from 45 yards maybe he can stay deep.

Akinola is just class on the ball. He made that second goal. Would love to see him shooting and connecting with the ball better though.

Acquah really hustled and busted a gut tonight and think his play was crucial to the result. He actually had a header that in another night may have gone in.

Macca the king of ****housery haha ?

MM and team got it right tonight.

Now more of the same please Blues! If we can beat Forest Green, Cambridge and Newport in recent weeks then there are no excuses. Let’s get up this ****ing league 2 table and to safety!!

UTB ???
if you rewind it back in slow motion, he makes a gesture to the camera that Ron Martin is the devil.. weird stuff

See I don't understand this. Acquah did extremely well in his last start against Cambridge, another team fighting for promotion, so why would people automatically think this was a bad selection?

Playing Acquah upfront means our wide forwards see a lot more of the ball. What he does isn't pretty but he does challenge defenders, stop them getting clean clearances, hold the ball up. It's not going to win you player of the year, and there are lots of players out there that do it better (few of whom are 20 years old) but it's vital.

Totally agree; I was actually disappointed he didn't start against Bolton. Also, I've noticed that Akinola seems to play better with Acquah in the side.

On that performance we have got the tools to finish halfway. Unfortunately we are more than likely to put a powder puff one in on Saturday !
Let’s hope this will be the turning point where they now believe in themselves ?

Akinola plays better when not played as the main striker. He has so much skill and ability but is better suited running at people than with his back to goal.
Yes exactly that. Acquah is a lesser loss to that role and frees up Akinola and tonight RFH to run at them and create a genuine 4,3,3 in attack.

It is outrageous. And I am now also aware that he has seen a lot of it. Might I suggest those who have social media put out some positive tweets? The fact one of our own youth products is constantly SEEING people slate him, makes me sick to the stomach. He is completely unaware of how much positive press he also gets
I don’t use FB or Twitter so I can’t comment, but can imagine especially given the demographic and lack of moderators.

part of me want to suggest sending him photos of some of the posts on here, but the over half of me says to tell him not to read it.
If it has a negative impact what’s the point? I know if I read negative stuff about me it would get me down , therefore I wouldn’t read it

Well tonight it feels good to be a Shrimper and long may it continue. Outstanding performances all round as already highlighted on here tonight. I think we may have to accept that in Acquah we have a Carl Leaburn in the making and not an Alan Shearer. The great thing about football is both those players were hero worshipped. ? to negativity.

The system worked a treat tonight because Kyle Taylor moves the ball forward and he supports the attackers, as well as Dieng and Ferguson having a go. Against Bolton we had too many central midfielders holding position, to be fair i thought Bolton looked very threatening.
That was a crazy win with some spectacular goals. Every reason to believe we can beat the drop, though far from the finished product if one of the defence gets injured plus we still need a goalscorer upfront.
I'm so pleased for MM, deserves to be flying high tonight.
Proud to be a Shrimper, that is the level of effort and quality we've been asking for in the last three years, we are getting that time and again now.
I would like to see our wing play improving, RHF was very good tonight, turned their defence more than once and with four arriving in the box to get in the end of it, we can expect more goals.
Hobson, well done son the night is yours, played a blinder and shocked FGR with that smashing strike to go a goal up. We've arrived.
When you can bring on Demi, Macca and Holmes on as subs to wrap up a game, you know you have a squad. Brilliant !

Back