• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Forest Green Rovers 1-3 Southend United

Actually @wiggy I am on Twitter, as probably some posters know.

Great team performance and some really good posts on here - I must admit to not being in the pro Acquah camp, he's too static and doesn't use his height very well, nor seem to be able to jump much, but if that's what we need to get that kind of performance out of the others, then sobeit.

Three good goals, all taken very well, and got successively technically better. Who knew Hobson could volley like that, it was quite an acute angle for Tim Dieng's and there are just no appropriate superlatives for Nathan Ferguson's - simply top drawer.

Ox looked confident and assured, which was good after Saturday's howler, the defence in front of him were solid, midfield looked much more comfortable with a fit Kyle Taylor - let's hope the knocks he took last night don't keep him out, and we made some sensible and strong substitutions. I think some are finally coming round to my "I love Macca" camp!

We watch away games with no commentary, just the stadium noise, so you don't have to put up with idiotic commentators as some of you have described, and get to hear all the swearing and player reaction - much more like being at a game in person. I recommend it.

Credit to Mark, he got that absolutely spot on, now let's take that momentum and get ourselves safe.

Oxley - 7
Bwomono -7
White - 8
Hobson - 8
Clifford - 7
Ferguson - 9
Taylor - 8
Dieng - 7
Hackett-Fairchild - 7
Akinola - 7
Acquah - 6

Subs:
McCormack - 8

16 games to go....the last 16 games we gained 22 points, now if we match that......
Think we will do better than that. We are improving not getting worse. The squad is big so fatigue shouldn't be an issue. But even if we continue improving it still goes down to the wire. We're never going to be able to relax. Last few games will be cup finals and that's why it was wise to include plenty of experience in this squad.

Think we will do better than that. We are improving not getting worse. The squad is big so fatigue shouldn't be an issue. But even if we continue improving it still goes down to the wire. We're never going to be able to relax. Last few games will be cup finals and that's why it was wise to include plenty of experience in this squad.

Indeed, we are where we are because of the first 15 games where we only got 6 points. We are miles away from that team in both personnel and fitness. My point was that even if we don't improve (and i expect us to continue with the progress made even if some results go against us like Bolton game) I think we will pick up enough. Yes it might still go down to the 2 games in May, but after 15 games I think most of us would have taken that!

Yeh, I've just watched Ferguson's goal on BBC Breakfast National sports round-up. Wasn't expecting that before the game.

I didn't pay for iFollow yesterday because a) I was too busy with various other things give kick off time, and b) I thought we'd get hammered!

Anyway, I watched Sky Sports when I'd finished what I needed. The guy at the ground was praising us a lot. He said that we all worked hard for each other and the shirt. He was really impressed with us. Sometimes it's interesting to get a neutral's view.

Superb performance last night by everyone and totally bossed a team with the least defeats in league 2.
Even forgetting his goal , I think Ferguson has had the biggest impact of all the signings.
He is strong , comfortable on the ball and breaks up play so well.
His contribution before he struck was just that - he broke up a dangerous counter by FGR.
Quite what MM will do with the midfield when Okayinka is fit is anyone’s guess , but it’s a good problem to have.
McCormack and Demi have done ok for us this season but really can’t give the high energy of the others we now have at our disposal and bringing them on in a scenario like last night ( experience to see out a game ) is probably their best use.
I’m not anti McCormack at all and really love his antics at winding up the opposition, but the ‘attempted tackle’ he made last night that fortunately missed was ridiculous and could have put us down to 10 men.
No need for it at all.

I was chatting to someone tonight who was slagging off the NHS organisation of covid vaccines. 0 to 600k in a few weeks and the odd person has to wait in line for a while. Whingers will just whinge.
600k ,do u mean 6mil

Yeh, I've just watched Ferguson's goal on BBC Breakfast National sports round-up. Wasn't expecting that before the game.
Likewise, made me sit up in bed and good to see the recognition. If that goal had been scored by a PL player they would have all been drooling over it.
Throughly enjoyed the game last night and from the off we looked alert and hungry and dare I say it “aggressive”
I was pleased to see we were not bullied off the ball and chased everything.
We made FGR look a very poor side

I think MM got it right last night and was happy to see Taylor back to himself and thought he had a fantastic game but, In fairness all of those players showed something last night.
Mind you I am still nervous every time the ball goes near Oxley and I am still not confident with him.
Good to see Macca back.

Onto Saturday now and let’s hope we can keep the memento going and hopefully this will do wonders for their confidence but, please, MM don’t make too many changes if any

Cant wait to see Olayinka in flow bursting forward and what a player to come on for a half or less, if cant get into side immediately. At last the strength of our squad is showing through and will prove vital in the weeks ahead.

I wouldnt underestimate Demis energy by the way and it wouldnt surprise me if it was one of the highest, so also useful to rotate?

Kyle Taylor grew into the game nicely, given he only touched the ball once in the first 10 minutes and at that stage I began to wonder if he would ever make a tackle. However confidence started to run through his veins and as such he produced an ever growing excellent performance as the game went on

We have also played some big sides on tough pitches. Bolton, especially at the back looked big and hairy, Cambridge and Newport had a few cavemen as well

Not right now but a sad thought occurred to me thinking of Hobsons progressing all round excellence, is he starting to look like a few big pound signs??

Accepting of course that injuries suffered last evening may dictate otherwise, please MM resist the temptation to tinker with the lineup for Saturday against Salford. Surely that starting eleven deserve the opportunity to show us again the skills, desire and goals which rocked FGR back on their heels. You have found a lineup which worked. You resisted the calls for Ricky to start. If he is fit enough, then do likewise with the similar calls to put Nile straight into the starting eleven. I believe you have shown that players must earn the right to start. By that you seem to indicate that squad togetherness is an important ingredient of a successful team. Oh, and ignore the jibes about the PE teacher! Those who saw your performances in midfield for Bournemouth know that you have a very solid background in the professional game. Best of good fortune for the remaining 16 games. There will be many twists and turns along the way. But survival in this league beckons. Go grab it!
When choosing the team don’t forget they only have 2 1/2 days. Before next game !????

Actually @wiggy I am on Twitter, as probably some posters know.

Great team performance and some really good posts on here - I must admit to not being in the pro Acquah camp, he's too static and doesn't use his height very well, nor seem to be able to jump much, but if that's what we need to get that kind of performance out of the others, then sobeit.

Three good goals, all taken very well, and got successively technically better. Who knew Hobson could volley like that, it was quite an acute angle for Tim Dieng's and there are just no appropriate superlatives for Nathan Ferguson's - simply top drawer.

Ox looked confident and assured, which was good after Saturday's howler, the defence in front of him were solid, midfield looked much more comfortable with a fit Kyle Taylor - let's hope the knocks he took last night don't keep him out, and we made some sensible and strong substitutions. I think some are finally coming round to my "I love Macca" camp!

We watch away games with no commentary, just the stadium noise, so you don't have to put up with idiotic commentators as some of you have described, and get to hear all the swearing and player reaction - much more like being at a game in person. I recommend it.

Credit to Mark, he got that absolutely spot on, now let's take that momentum and get ourselves safe.

Oxley - 7
Bwomono -7
White - 8
Hobson - 8
Clifford - 7
Ferguson - 9
Taylor - 8
Dieng - 7
Hackett-Fairchild - 7
Akinola - 7
Acquah - 6

Subs:
McCormack - 8

Sorry OBL , I’m sure you are, was only joking.
As we are both early forties was guessing that you may be the same as me and swerve all that stuff?

Who remembers Paul Byrne's goal against Norwich. Did not go over Gunn but grazed the post on it's way in. Must have been 40 yards. I was behind the goal so saw it all the way. Nathan's strike has already had a million views. Happy days.

My point was in response to spensers reply to my post saying perhaps this is a good formation for us moving forward but with ranger up front and not acquah.

I do know that a strikers job is not to just score goals. But you must admit youd hope for your main striker to score more then once the whole season?

I didnt mention diengs goal, because in essence its the same as fergusons goal or hobsons. Goals scored not by strikers but by midfielders/defenders but this is the exception rather then the norm particularly with us this season.

Its great that ferguson is scoring belters and long may it continue, but i cant name a succesful side in history that relied solely on screamers from midfield.

Your asking why we cant rely on tonights opportunities taken, i hope we continue to make those opportunities and shoot and score. But you cant honestly tell me that you dont want your forwards to be the focal point of our goal threat. Our goal scoring record is pathetic, our top scorer is clifford. I dont think its unreasonable of me to desire some strikers who may be able to score goals.
If we were going for promotion I’d agree with you, but we aren’t. Ok we probably can’t rely on Hobson popping up with a goal like that very often but I don’t see what’s wrong with relying on midfielders scoring goals. We aren’t solely relying on screamers, Dieng’s goal wasn’t a screamer. And we aren’t trying to be a successful side, we’re trying to finish 22nd in League 2.

Dieng/Olayinka/Taylor/Ferguson have all shown they’ve got a goal in them. Ricky Holmes is undoubtedly a midfielder with the ability to score a few goals as well. I’m sure Akinola, RHF, Ranger, Acquah and ANG will get a few goals between them before the end of the season as forwards anyway. If we continue to keep things tight at the back we don’t need strikers scoring loads of goals, although it would be nice. Akinola did most of the work for Dieng’s goal, is it really a problem that the forward created the goal instead of finishing it off?

It was a very good performance. Indeed by and large our performances, with one or two notable exceptions, have been worthy of more end product and points than we have. The reason being as we know not getting into shooting positions/scoring positions, and the finishing not being anywhere near good enough when we do.

Last night a CB finished like Thierry Henry (probably a one off) and we had a 40 yard wonder strike. This enabled us to get from the game what we deserved. On another day we would have been clinging on to a 1-1. Either way it was a very good performance and fills me with a lot of hope for next season. However, at the same time I hope the result does not mean that the same challenges don't still exist that existed before the game. At the same time the confidence that will build from it is undoubtedly a further plus.

Ranger sharing or taking the workload off Acquah (who did well last night) will help, as will Holmes getting on the pitch and Olayinka coming back. If Simpson is impressing as much as MM says then its difficult to believe he wont be in the mix. Add this to what we already have then we are in abetter position.

The thing MM has done well now is settle on a system that all the squad understand, and can fit in and out of, knowing their job. We are very well organised, hard working, and defensively we really need neither Hobson or JW picking up an injury.

Back