• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Forest Green Rovers v Southend United, Wednesday 24th February, 18:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 83 82.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • John White

Votes: 81 80.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Alan McCormark

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 56 55.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Louis Walsh

• Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Rob Howard

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Win

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 33 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going to visit the FGR message boards this morning and apologise now because we are going to break their Cotswold liberal/ Hug a Hoodie/ twee village fete hearts tomorrow night.

Either that or we will lose 3-0.

Totally agree that we'll lose 3-0

There is absolutely no point in ANG playing he cant finish and has no end product whatsoever! I used to rate him but I've seen enough!!
I kinda see where you're coming from, but defences don't like someone like that running at them.
If nothing else he sows the seeds of doubt. The alternative are humps down the channels - and that worries no one.

I hope Southend turn up at Forest Green with loads of cheap processed meat products.

The players should each be handed a Peperami wide boy as they step off the coach.
I know a FGR fan who says it's all down to the chairman, and said fan likes a burger at away games!
But you've got to applaud a league side recognised by the UN for its climate change stance.
That, and one, which is housed in a village.
It says much about the way they run their tiny club on a vegan shoestring, unlike some, even one closest to our hearts.

I wanted this too, except now I think just drop JD. Elvis has improved recently and when was the last time JD actually played at RB? Perhaps both the player and manager don’t think he’s a RB any more?

The whole Clifford or Hart situation, Clifford makes us more secure at the back but I still think Hart gives us more service up front, so why not Hart in front of Clifford?
Think we’ve struggled down the left for ages and Clifford/Hart combo doesn’t convince me, not that either are bad players.

But you've got to applaud a league side recognised by the UN for its climate change stance.
That, and one, which is housed in a village.
It says much about the way they run their tiny club on a vegan shoestring, unlike some, even one closest to our hearts.

I'd rather Southend be a complete Chernobyl and be able to show my children a photo of the ceefax league table with us top of division one to be honest.

The only memories Forest Green Rovers fans are going to have of their brief flirtation with league football is how to unclog a toilet with a straightened coat hanger after eating one too many vegan pasties.

JD at right back, Macca with Hart in midfield, Akinola and Holmes up front....put some steel and fight into the line up.

Clean sheet for 1st 30 mins to bring Ox's confidence back up.

I don't get this fascination of replacing Elvis at right back and why people the JD will do a better job there!!

Elvis has been fine, and when did we last concede from the right?

If it wasnt to intrusive I would like MM to publish Demis match stats against Bolton. Boy did he do well and cover some ground, his best all round match yet by far

Simplify the system
4 4 2

................ox
Bwomo dieng Hobson Clifford
Ang macca Taylor Hart
............Akinola......Fairchild

Some basics needs to try and create some form of actual chances...full backs overlapping, crosses into the box..two players for the defence to worry about up top instead of akinola on his own running around aimlessly. I think I terms of attacking threat the current system is either rubbish or we do t have the players to execute the vision...either way we need to score goals..change needed.

If it wasnt to intrusive I would like MM to publish Demis match stats against Bolton. Boy did he do well and cover some ground, his best all round match yet by far
I don't have the running stats but WhoScored has a lot of the others. Stat wise he picked up a bit in the second half vs the first half but looking at the numbers it wasn't one of his best matches (the best looks to be Grimsby in December).

Opinions formed through facts...their my favourite kind. Do you not like people having opinions?? Odd post on how someone would deserve worse, such as??
Don't try to make something out of nothing. A worse response in terms of a reply. I think you knew this very well. I will refrain from breaking the rules by responding to your arrogance. As a fan of ska from the 60's I take it as a compliment to be called a wannabe rude boy.

Just over 24 hours to kick off, and the most popular votes are for:

Clifford - 64
Hobson - 63
Akinola - 63
Oxley - 61
White - 59
Bwomono - 58
Holmes - 56
Ferguson - 54
Dieng - 45
ANG - 45
McCormack - 38

Presumably that side would line up something like this:

Oxley

Bwomono White Hobson Clifford

McCormack

Ferguson Dieng

ANG Akinola Holmes​

I don't have the running stats but WhoScored has a lot of the others. Stat wise he picked up a bit in the second half vs the first half but looking at the numbers it wasn't one of his best matches (the best looks to be Grimsby in December).

Thanks thats helpful

I note in these stats Demi was top for KEY passes, whereas to many of our players were rated as making NONE. Overall rating he outperformed Ferguson, White Akinola Hart, Oxley, Acquah, Taylor and Holmes

Not bad for somebody written off as rubbish in the match. Maybe we should take the stats on board a bit more before slagging off someones performance, but I suspect that wont happen as we all like an emotional ignorant rant

Simplify the system
4 4 2

................ox
Bwomo dieng Hobson Clifford
Ang macca Taylor Hart
............Akinola......Fairchild

Some basics needs to try and create some form of actual chances...full backs overlapping, crosses into the box..two players for the defence to worry about up top instead of akinola on his own running around aimlessly. I think I terms of attacking threat the current system is either rubbish or we do t have the players to execute the vision...either way we need to score goals..change needed.
I can give you the second half of the score with this team....Southend 0. And replacing White with Dieng and breaking up a CB partnership that has shipped one goal in the last three games probably makes FGR 0 far less likely to be the first half of the score..however I wouldn't be surprised if MM did this or similar (all be it in a 4231 not 442)..

Thanks thats helpful

I note in these stats Demi was top for KEY passes, whereas to many of our players were rated as making NONE. Overall rating he outperformed Ferguson, White Akinola Hart, Oxley, Acquah, Taylor and Holmes

Not bad for somebody written off as rubbish in the match. Maybe we should take the stats on board a bit more before slagging off someones performance, but I suspect that wont happen as we all like an emotional ignorant rant
Demi gets thru a lot of work that isn't fancy but is needed from players in the 2 of a 4231. I doubt for one minute MM will be bothered if any of us can't understand it. FWIW I think we are always better with at least one of him or Macca playing.

Back