• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Forest Green Rovers v Southend United, Wednesday 24th February, 18:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 83 82.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • John White

Votes: 81 80.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Alan McCormark

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 56 55.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Louis Walsh

• Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Rob Howard

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Win

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 33 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to see Goodship up top with ANG and Akinola out wide with Holmes in behind him, He's the best natural goalscorer we have at the moment so he's got to be worth a go with decent support around him, lets give him a chance to show what he can do whilst Ranger is ruled out

I'd like to see Goodship up top with ANG and Akinola out wide with Holmes in behind him, He's the best natural goalscorer we have at the moment so he's got to be worth a go with decent support around him, lets give him a chance to show what he can do whilst Ranger is ruled out
Can’t play up top on his own though. Either Akinola or Acquah will have to do that- or the formation will need to be different (something that has only ended badly this year)

Except Akinola has and can score goals and ANG causes defenders all sorts of trouble. One thing they hate is playing running at pace at them. Granted his final delivery or decision whether to shoot or not needs working.
Hes skilful and quick but extremely fustrating

Oxley
Demi hobson white Clifford
Macca
Holmes Taylor ANG
Akinola Acquah
4 4 2 with one deeper midfielder or 4 1 3 2 whatever fifa and football manager call it.

Forest green are a good side. Would like to see Hutchinson get hit hard by macca early and shut him up quickly otherwise you know he is going to bag himself a goal.

We need to score some goals or create some chances now or do something in the final third worthy of a goal. Get support up top for emile or sim to work off each other and see if there is some semblance of a partnership to be had in there.

Beauty of football is that you can analyse 200 times over, you can sit and discuss formations all you like and how having one person start 10 yards in the other direction it will be amazing, you can look at the table, you can think **** we aren't going to score and **** they score goals but to be honest 80 percent of it is all bollocks. if you get out there with some pride, determination, play your nads off for your mates and the shirt you can beat anyone.

FGR 1 - 2 Southend. Acquah and Clifford with our goals.

Sea sea seasiders

I can give you the second half of the score with this team....Southend 0. And replacing White with Dieng and breaking up a CB partnership that has shipped one goal in the last three games probably makes FGR 0 far less likely to be the first half of the score..however I wouldn't be surprised if MM did this or similar (all be it in a 4231 not 442)..
Would be harsh to drop white no doubt...I just think our best CB pairing, especially during our mini run has been Hobson +dieng. As a team we don't create any chances...and I just came see how 1 up top with no close support is going to change that. I know the idea is to have the 3 support and get forward...it doesn't happen...at least not to any effect. ANG just runs around with the ball quite well literally zero end product, a cross would be a start...that pompey loan player is poor and the fact Molesley plays them as 'inverted' wide players only compounds the shortcomings...Fairchild will 100% of the time get the ball look to cut in and use his left...I'm afraid that's easy to defend. And that's just one example of it not working. How long do we set up exclusively to limit goals against with almost zero chance of scoring ourselves??

We certainly need to address the goal issue or we are down.

Starting Holmes is a must (he can and will shoot which is generally a requisite to goal scoring). And he creates/ has end product. I would put him in the 10 role to get forward and support Akinola so he is less isolated.

Akinola I think will score with the right service.

Of course if we are going to play one up top we need Ranger. He is made for that. But we may have to wait 1 maybe 2 games to see him.

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Holmes Macca Taylor Hart
Akinola
Acquah​

I know it would fill many on here with dread, but Acquah holding and Akinola playing off him with good service (so crucial no matter who we select up front) coming in from Holmes and Hart.

I don’t expect anyone else (especially MM!) to agree but that’s what I’d like to see tomorrow night. I actually expect we’ll set up to stay in the game again.

Just looking forward to watching it to be honest as I missed the Bolton match!

Trying to buy a pass on iFollow but saying it isn't open until an hour before KO - am I doing something wrong??

If it wasnt to intrusive I would like MM to publish Demis match stats against Bolton. Boy did he do well and cover some ground, his best all round match yet by far
Crazy isn't it, how some on here view stats like the ones you quoted as a poor player out of form, when the actual facts and stats show the polar opposite. Id heard before Saturdays game he may not start tonight for rotation, but can MM afford not to use him. As you rightly pointed out, macca just can't do all that stuff, good as he is at breaking up play.

Last edited:
This for me:
Ox
Elvis. Jw SH TC
Macca, Ferguson, Dieng
ANG, Akinola, Holmes.

I'm going to go completely against the grain of others on here who think we should be going hell for leather against a team who need a win to go top of the league.....5 in midfield without the ball and nice and compact. Would be more than happy to come away with a point tonight.

Back