• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Forest Green Rovers v Southend United, Wednesday 24th February, 18:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 83 82.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • John White

Votes: 81 80.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Alan McCormark

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 56 55.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Louis Walsh

• Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Rob Howard

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Win

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 33 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to see ANG used in a lot more forward position when he gets the ball. I can't see him completing passes or shooting but I really do think he's tricky to defend against in and around the box and could easily earn us 3 or 4 free kicks or a pen. Plus id rather him lose the ball there than further away from their box.

I would play for a Point but wait for a oportunity to come and HOPE we SHOOT.
Free kicks our best oportunity to score.
Would try Mellis instead of A.N.G., as he wont shoot. In my opinion Macca has not got 90 minutes in him.
Nile if fit would start, but we have to have a holding player up front so Emile or Halford.
Emile gets my vote.

Oxley
Elvis. Hobson. White. Clifford.
Deing.
Holmes. Mellis. Ferguson.
Akinola. Acquah.

Subs. Seadon. Hart. Demi. Macca. Ranger. K. Taylor. Halford.

After yesterday results it's clear we need to be more attacking tonight........ let's go and have a go and try get the 3 points! There's no point in sitting back and hoping for 0-0 or trying to nick a win. As jd said after Saturday their not much in this league and I kinda agree with him. Draws I feel wont be good enough anymore due to the amount of games we would of played compared to are relegation counterparts and are goal difference is shocking to. Battling 0-0 draws wont keep us up!

I expect very much of the same that you’ve seen for the last three games.

Any points in games like Newport, Cambridge, Cheltenham, FG, Salford etc are a bonus. Coming out of those games with confidence in tact, minimal damage to goal difference and a few bonus points will be all any manager worth his salt will aim at. The theory of going all out attack just because Grimsby and Barrow won last night is for the birds. MM will have a very clear picture of the games where points are a must and his planning on player fitness and availability will be geared towards those games.

I think last nights results knocked my belief more than anything we've done ( or not done ) recently.
It's really fine margins though and although I get the criticism of MM recently due to our lack of any potency , take out Oxleys error and we would have achieved 5 points against promotion seeking teams in our last 3 games ( with three clean sheets ).
I would love to see a more expansive approach , and maybe Holmes will give us that , but I honestly believe that our best chance right now is to keep things tight and stay in the game for as long as possible and nick a goal.
It worked at Newport , almost worked at Cambridge and for large parts of the second half v Bolton we were on top.

Any points in games like Newport, Cambridge, Cheltenham, FG, Salford etc are a bonus. Coming out of those games with confidence in tact, minimal damage to goal difference and a few bonus points will be all any manager worth his salt will aim at. The theory of going all out attack just because Grimsby and Barrow won last night is for the birds. MM will have a very clear picture of the games where points are a must and his planning on player fitness and availability will be geared towards those games.
I think I would forget minimal damage to goal difference ,that’s shot to bits

I think I would forget minimal damage to goal difference ,that’s shot to bits

I wouldn’t disagree but Grimsbys is only 2 worse and it would only take it to be between us and them on the last day of the season and a couple of 3-0 defeats when we only lost by the odd goal and that’s a swing the other way......never underestimate the margins

I’m glad I’m not the only one that recognises what Dimi does for us. I was going to post he was arguably our man of the match against Bolton but couldn’t be arsed with the arguments that would have almost definitely followed with me being told I know **** all about football. Out of possession, which being the side we are happens regularly, he’s possibly the best we have at pressuring the opposition, niggling at heels and forcing mistakes. His work rate is incredible! But some people don’t see beyond goal and assist numbers ?‍♂️

I think the only difference between us and other teams in this league is confidence and a couple quality players. We have now added some quality, now we need to believe in ourselves a bit.

If we don't even believe we can stay in the Football League then we've lost already. Need to get into these vegans tonight and show some conviction

Totally agree with this and for the same reason I don't think MM will risk anyone whose fitness is marginal - he'd rather get them fully fit and available for the games from Saturday week onwards - that's where there is a chance to start picking up wins and that's when we might see the likes of Ranger, Mellis, Holmes, Olayinka start games rather than the games with a more marginal chance of success like FGR, Salford and Cheltenham. That's not to say we chuck away all chances of victory, but it's more likely to be a damage limitation strategy rather than a go for broke strategy.

Its time for Mm to stand up and get accounted for his selections . H e gave Ranger his chance now is the time to stick him on the bench at the start and leave aqu at home .He has proved he isnt a goal scorer and probably never will be .

Back