• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Forest Green Rovers v Southend United, Wednesday 24th February, 18:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 83 82.2%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • John White

Votes: 81 80.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • Alan McCormark

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 56 55.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Louis Walsh

• Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Rob Howard

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Win

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 33 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 14.00.20.png

The games are certainly coming thick and fast now, and on a night in the old days reserved for big European games, we find ourselves paying our first ever visit to the New Lawn Stadium in Nailsworth to play "The World's Greenest Football Club" - or so the Forest Green Rovers website says.

I was looking forward to this away game when the fixtures came out as my daughter was living very close by - in fact her boyfriend plays for Shortwood FC in the Hellenic League and if both clubs are playing at home you could hear the cheers from Shortwood's ground when FGR scored. Anyway since then, nobody's allowed to go and watch football, Shortwood's season is suspended, her boyfriend's got an ACL injury and they've moved to Bristol - so nothing's really gone to plan! Anyway, I digress.....

Nothing's really gone to plan so far this season for the Blues either, although in recent games it does appear that MM may have found a formula to shore up our leaky defence - but for a freak gust of wind/goalkeeping howler (you decide) we may have had three consecutive clean sheets.

What he hasn't found yet is a similarly successful formula to start scoring goals at the other end. The triumvirate of Messrs. Akinola, Hackett-Fairchild and Nathaniel-George proved just as impotent as previous iterations of our forward line.

The squad is not short of options now either, far from it, in fact such was the embarrassment of riches (maybe over-egging it a bit!) that Goodship, Halford and Mellis didn't even make the bench on Saturday and that's without the soon to be returning Olayinka and our Messiah, Nile Ranger, being available.

brian.jpg

So, onto the game against the high flying vegetarians, on paper we've got no chance but then we thought that in the previous two away games as well. There are plenty of options to choose from now, but who would you go for and what will the score be in this tea-time kick off?

I'd like to see a team similar to Saturday's, less Demetriou for McCormack or Taylor and Nathaniel-George for Holmes. Was pleasantly surprised by Taylor's limited efforts against Bolton given how (understandly) off the pace he's been since recovering from Covid. Hope to see Ranger on the bench at least if his 'injury' has resolved itself. Points to be got here, let's not come away empty handed, Blues!

Well, I love your optimism and I sincerely hope that you are right. I think we could nick a draw if we are lucky. However Forest Green have lost the least number of games of any team in our division and have won four of their last five matches. We can hope that they under estimate us but if that is the case then we must score early. I hope that Ricky Holmes and Brandon Goodship both start but this is unlikely, especially the latter. Sadly I predict a victory for FGR. I'll bet they have onions on their veggie burgers too.....

Oxley
Elvis white hobson clifford

Macca mellis Ferguson

Akinola

Ranger holmes

This team has our solid back four,a decent midfield,then a guy who is skillfull and can create.with a well known forward who can hold the ball up and will give fg defense a nightmare and holmes who is a natural forward but is still much better then any of the players in our squad and can finish!!

Subs seaden,Kyle taylor,ANG,goodship,egbri

I’d have us set up with a little more attacking intent.
Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Macca Ferguson
ANG Holmes Akinola
Goodship
I don’t think we will play this, but Goodship has to be worth another go in a better team. Think Holmes can orchestrate play a little more in the centre.

Well, I love your optimism and I sincerely hope that you are right. I think we could nick a draw if we are lucky. However Forest Green have lost the least number of games of any team in our division and have won four of their last five matches. We can hope that they under estimate us but if that is the case then we must score early. I hope that Ricky Holmes and Brandon Goodship both start but this is unlikely, especially the latter. Sadly I predict a victory for FGR. I'll bet they have onions on their veggie burgers too.....
We beat Newport away and drew with the top of the league away so we can definitely get a result against an unflattering forest green rovers!! They beat us with our kids 0-1and got lucky,now we have a good away record of late and a much better and stronger squad then fg rovers!! League places mean nothing in this league and everyone beats everyone! If our clueless manager sets us up right and plays our very strongest side we will get a result!

Barrow/grimsby result could determine how MM goes about this game. I personally would like to us on the front foot and take the game to these. Forest green are decent side but its winnable game like every other game in this league is.
4231 formation

Oxley
Elvis white Hobson Clifford
Ferguson macca
Ang holmes akinola
Ranger

This will be a very tough match, I suspect we'll be setting up similar to the Cambridge match and playing for a 0-0 (which would be a good result if we pulled it off).

Jamille Matt always a good player at this level. Maybe a touch of magic from Ricky needed for us to get anything.

I think we'll struggle with this one unfortunately and I don't expect us to get anything from the game, FGR a very good side that play good football and they had an unusually bad game (for them) when we played them earlier in the season. Nicky Cadden down their left arguably one of the best players in the division.

Tough game but aren't they all between now and the end of the season? I actually saw a lot to be optimistic about on Saturday other than of course a real cutting edge up front.. but that alone isn't going to be solved by the messiah, sorry Nile Ranger as some on here keep suggesting.

This please;

Oxley, Elvis, White, Hobson, Clifford, Dieng, Macca, Ferguson, ANG, Akinola, Holmes.

We beat Newport away and drew with the top of the league away so we can definitely get a result against an unflattering forest green rovers!! They beat us with our kids 0-1and got lucky,now we have a good away record of late and a much better and stronger squad then fg rovers!! League places mean nothing in this league and everyone beats everyone! If our clueless manager sets us up right and plays our very strongest side we will get a result!
I think u should put more water with it

Holmes to start for me he will get on the front foot and will shoot at goal.Cant see Ranger being available.Would prefer Macca in midfield as he will break up play better than JD.Cant see many other changes

I would like to see us "going for it" so no setting up for a 0 - 0 draw hopeing to nick one, we have a reasonable defence so let's choose a midfield with a bit of steel and I pray a couple of forwards up front with their shooting boots on........fingers crossed.

Back