• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TH4 RS

What is Blues Best Formation at the moment? i think we need to play a 4-3-1-2 to allow payne just behind the two strikers with corr up front to get the ball down with another striker with pace to break into opposition's defenses (weston or shaq) i think shaq would benefit more playing upfront with someone tall rather than out wide. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Formation1.png
    Formation1.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 20
I think I prefer a W-M formation

Prosser Bolger (full backs)
Leonard Atkinson Clifford (half backs)
Hurst Timlin Corr Weston Coulthirst (wingers/inside fw/centre fw)

the 4-3-3 works just not got the finisher at the moment like your formation with Payne in hole but same problem if we cant finish , and the full backs do get exposed in both them formation ,maybe we should go back to 4-4-2 what even our players can play in !!! only my option

good idea in terms of attack, not sure defensively if that would work, guess you would have to see it to find out...

the 4-3-3 works just not got the finisher at the moment like your formation with Payne in hole but same problem if we cant finish , and the full backs do get exposed in both them formation ,maybe we should go back to 4-4-2 what even our players can play in !!! only my option

a striker would defiantly solve a lot of problems but i don't think Payne would fit in well? for me, Payne needs to start!

I prefer a formation that allows our players to interchange at will.
'Total Football' if you like.
Oh , and 'Rush Goalie' too , that is always an advantage and never understood why it's not used in the pro game.

for the next match i'd go :

........................BENTLEY....................
WORRELL...THOMPSON....PROSSER...WHITE
.......................DEEGAN........................
........LENNY.......PAYNE...............WESTON
...............CORR............COOLTHIRST.......

BARNY,HURST,MADS,SMITH,ATKINSON,WILLIAMS,LAYNE

Deegan needs to come in to beef up just in front of our back line, allowing Lenny + Payne to rampage forward. Weston looks anything but a striker to me so stick him out on the LEFT wing with 1 objective : beat the full back + stick yur cross on Bazzas head. Pompey away last season was my favourite game for the past few years , and Corr was an absolute relevation - he battered the pompey back line despite being massively out numbered + would again scare them to death.

CORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR -- GIVE IT TO BAZZA HE'LL SCORRRRRRRRE ..... THERE'LL BE A COMMOTION WHEN WE GET PROMOTION SO GIVE IT TO BAZZA HE'LL SCOOOOOOORRRRRRRRE
:loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter:

I'm convinced this is our best starting lineup. Similar to the Chelsea formation. 2 holding midfielders in Leonard and Clifford. Allows freedom and space for Payne. We've lost the possession from last year due to both Coulthirst and Weston playing. I think theyre too similar. I would only play one of them and counter that with Hurst or Worral on the other wing.

Bentley

White Prosser Thompson Coker

Clifford Leonard
Hurst Weston
Payne

Corr

Best formation when everyone is fit and on form

Bentley
White Bolger Prosser Coker
Hurst Leonard Clifford Weston
Payne
Corr

I'm convinced this is our best starting lineup. Similar to the Chelsea formation. 2 holding midfielders in Leonard and Clifford. Allows freedom and space for Payne. We've lost the possession from last year due to both Coulthirst and Weston playing. I think theyre too similar. I would only play one of them and counter that with Hurst or Worral on the other wing.

............Bentley

.........Clifford....Leonard
Hurst..........................Weston
................Payne
.................Corr

Clifford is not a holding midfielder. Watch the build-up to the penalty and how he loses his man.

............Bentley

.........Clifford....Leonard
Hurst..........................Weston
................Payne
.................Corr

Id agree with that bar Bolger for Thompson. Im not convinced by Weston, far from it, but hard to put up an alternative.

Hurst has to play, he may not be in form, but no one is playing well enough to warrant keeping him out.

What is Blues Best Formation at the moment? i think we need to play a 4-3-1-2 to allow payne just behind the two strikers with corr up front to get the ball down with another striker with pace to break into opposition's defenses (weston or shaq) i think shaq would benefit more playing upfront with someone tall rather than out wide. What are your thoughts?

Completely agree with this.

Front three of Corr, Shaq and Payne just behind would be great. This formation certainly seems to be the one that will benefit us the most at the moment and utilise the strengths of our better players. Only concern is it lacks width in midfield, so could rely too heavily on attacking full backs. That aside, we won't know until we try and I doubt it could be any worse than the disjointed performance in the second half against Oxford.

How do you want to line up depends as much as who do you want to line up.
If we play with 2 proper wingers (Weston + Hurst/Worral/Payne ?) then you should have Corr up front for the headers/crosses then probably one more off him (Colthirst/Barnard/Payne ? )

WE have more than enough cover in most areas, but sadly we dont seem to have that elusive 20+ goal scorer that will be the difference between us and the top 4. I think Brown is hoping the midfield will all chip in with 6-7 goals each but I dont know. Browns biggest worry short term is why so many are under-performing and an 18 year old kid is once again our best player going forward.

No offence meant here at all, I just don't know what a W-M formation is.

Prosser and Bolger are centre backs, I can't see any Full Backs in your formation. In fact, I can only see 2 defenders from the 10 players you've listed.

I've never seen a 2-3-5 formation before, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a team before starting with 5 attackers.

FWIW my starting line-up would be a 4-2-3-1 (as others have suggested) with a back 4 of White, Prosser, one of Mads/ Bolger/Thomson, Coker. 2 more-defensive/holding (ball-winning) midfielders (Leonard and one of Clifford/Atkinson/Deegan), 3 more attacking/supporting midfielders (Payne central, Weston and Hurst wide) and then Corr up top. This should free up Weston, Payne and Hurst to support Corr, and also create more options/movement on the ball. The main problem I see in this formation is that we lose Leonard's attacking instincts/drive somewhat, but in his current form I think Payne definitely deserves to start and I can't see how else to fit him in.

Further "wiser after the event comment"....isn't that what Laird did very well ?

Not really, although Laird was much more aware to runners. Laird was good at pressing higher up the pitch and in link play.

No offence meant here at all, I just don't know what a W-M formation is.

Prosser and Bolger are centre backs, I can't see any Full Backs in your formation. In fact, I can only see 2 defenders from the 10 players you've listed.

I've never seen a 2-3-5 formation before, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a team before starting with 5 attackers.

FWIW my starting line-up would be a 4-2-3-1 (as others have suggested) with a back 4 of White, Prosser, one of Mads/ Bolger/Thomson, Coker. 2 more-defensive/holding (ball-winning) midfielders (Leonard and one of Clifford/Atkinson/Deegan), 3 more attacking/supporting midfielders (Payne central, Weston and Hurst wide) and then Corr up top. This should free up Weston, Payne and Hurst to support Corr, and also create more options/movement on the ball. The main problem I see in this formation is that we lose Leonard's attacking instincts/drive somewhat, but in his current form I think Payne definitely deserves to start and I can't see how else to fit him in.

W-M formation is from the 1920s.

Back