• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Formatting a hard drive

MK Shrimper

Striker
Hello bods,

Need some IT help.... I'm trying to install a new Hard Drive on an old PC and having troubles... The CD drive picks up the Windows XP disk and begins to install, but once it restarts, the whole process starts again... it's as if the PC doesn't recognise the hard drive.

On the BIOS page the hard drive is picked up as the PRIMARY MASTER so I can't see the problem. Also attempting to use the DOS FDISK doesn't pick it up either...

Some MK + rep points and a swift G&T coming your way (if you're down on Thursday) if someone can help me out.

Cheers.

I had a problem with my PC not all that long ago. The BIOS should also give you a hierarchy of how to boot. Is the hard drive top of that list (or is that what you meant by "primary master"?)

If not, check the hierarchy. I also seem to remember with my PC, that whatever the hierarchy, the PC would also try and boot from a floppy first if there is one in the drive. Are you leaving something in one of the drives, and is it trying to use that first?

That's about the limit of my PC knowledge i'm afraid.

No it's not new. My old PC had a small master (40gb) and this one is 120GB, but my PC was so slow to boot with both so I thought I'd do away with the small one.

With the 120GB as a slave, I formatted it, Installed XP but then when I reverted it to a master it didn't want to know.

You haven't mentioned if you're using the old drive as a slave drive. Have you checked the jumper settings on the new (primary) drive and, if it's slaved-off, the old (slave) drive. If you're using the cable select jumper setting sometimes the PC doesn't detect the HD's properly.

You mention that FDISK doesn't work either, does this mean that you can't access the drive in DOS at all?

You haven't mentioned if you're using the old drive as a slave drive. Have you checked the jumper settings on the new (primary) drive and, if it's slaved-off, the old (slave) drive. If you're using the cable select jumper setting sometimes the PC doesn't detect the HD's properly.

You mention that FDISK doesn't work either, does this mean that you can't access the drive in DOS at all?

No, not using the old drive at all. I've set the jumper settings as master and I say I can BIOS picks it up under IDE settings and no, I can't access it in DOS (though not 100% sure about that one).

Hmmm....the only things I can think of is are the drive is knackered, the original FDISK and format you ran didn't work correctly or that the IDE cable has either been plugged into the slave IDE port on your MB or is faulty.

If you've still got your old HD with XP installed, plug that in as a master, then plug the new drive in as a slave. Check your partitions on the slave drive are correct, format the slave drive and then see if you can access the slave drive via windows explorer or DOS. Try and copy/paste/delete a couple of files to the new drive and if you can't, you know your new drive's knackered.

Bloody PC's...

How far through the process of installing XP does it go? (ie Does it copy files to the disk then reboot) You're not hitting a key when the prompt appears on screen for a second time?

Sadly sounds like the drive . there is a known error with drives when their firmware goes a bit screwy and while it will be recognised by your BIOS , it just won't communicate with it .
Im guessing its PATA (the older style IDE cable ) Might want to make sure you have a 80pin ide cable rather then a 40 pin as well (its not like to cuase a problem but worth checking)

If its a Western Digital or Mitsubishi i remember they have a solo master jumper setting that might be worth checking.

Back